Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 44,823 times

Advertisements

I am local. From earth.
I love hawaii. I like the people that live there, ones that where born there and all the others. Every home town has its group of people that dont like outsiders. Really that way of thinking started back in the cave man days. You know the other tribe across the hill. They were your enemy.
I dont live in that time. If you do , good luck with that.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
Haole is a Hawaiian word. It is a neutral term.
I was going to post in the "other" thread, but it was locked.

My thought on this term is it is simliar to people in the South calling a Northerner a "Yankee".

It really depends on the tone and intent of the person saying it. Sometimes it is used in jest and other times in a hateful manner.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 27,398 times
Default No Pilikia with Haole

Haole is a Hawaiian word meaning foreigner that had existed before Captain Cook had ever arrived here. When exactly it became a word used to describe exclusively Caucasians, I don't know. Maybe because Europeans were the first foreigners to arrive here, it stuck. Anyway, it is not a derogatory word. Locals use the word Haole all the time, and I even use it to describe myself sometimes...being that I am half Hawaiian and half Haole. Like MsHell said, it all depends how you say it and what context it is used. Sure, if you say to someone, "Dumb Haole" its going to **** that person off. But its not the the world Haole that they should be pissed about, but the context that it is used.

So for all you Haoles out there who are thinking of coming here, don't get offened if someone calls you a Haole. Its no different then calling someone Japanese, Chinese, or Hawaiian.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Locals

The word haole seems to many as a insulting type word because it has been used as an insulting type of word by many of the younger "locals".
And when I say the word locals for some reason I feel as if I am somehow putting down people that have only lived in one place and have a small view of the outside world. But I understand that those " locals" may have been and lived other places and met different types of people and really just are local because i just met them. Capesh

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
there are "locals", "haoles" and "local haoles". and, let's not forget, laura808 would be a "hapa haole."

Old 09-14-2007, 05:40 AM

Default I remember

I remember when i lived in my ( hometown) and ( outsiders) came there to visit . I didn't like it. To much traffic, They looked different then I and my Friends, They talked different. In my small world they were a threat to my way of life. I moved to the other side of the country, but became the ( outsider) there. And really if i was to trace my ancestry My home town wasn't even mine. Really there was only a few people that could call Hawaii there ( own) all others came after them. So 1000 years ago or what ever it was your family was the hand full of people that found Hawaii?

Not to be disrespectful but who said life was totally fare? Not the 1000s of people that was sacrificed to the volcano god. do you here there voice?
and in 1959 the USA didn't not invade Hawaii. The leaders there ( true Hawaiians) voted to become part of the USA. or maybe you would have like to been part of Russia? Life is how it is. Not perfect. If only the people that were killed to please the volcano gods could talk. Some of them are a little pissed. I bet. They are mad i would think at some of the Hawaiians that lived there long ago. They didn't have the USA to protect them. what ever reply I get to this I understand i still think you are a great person. I DO respect what people think.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
Lightbulb dont dis

JUS DONT DIS HAWAIIANS or local people for that matter... people need to understand that coming here you need to take it easy...you need to be cruz about everything...Hawaiians are the way they are because of what happend long time ago ...and they still didn't apologize for it and thats messed up...you just need to respect the people for Hawaii and you wont get in trouble but that little bit of racism everyday is unavoidable..its an every day thing for Haoles...life's tough get a helmet...HAWAIIAN PRIDE

Old 09-14-2007, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
Exclamation kaiulani

Um Hawaiian is a race DUH! U dont see much of any Hawaiians because its not a dieing race..i really wish it wasnt because its such a beautiful race...and u also dont see much of then because people keep coming here and taking everything dont say u dont see them cuz they are their
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: