Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The reality is teachers in Hawaii start out making low 40's - there is no other reality than that. If your wife has to work other jobs, whatever the may be - to make another 10K - doesn't dimish the fact a teacher must work multiple jobs or gigs or whatever you call them to make over $50K above and beyond a normal teacher schedule. Again, it isn't much different than Wink saying he makes $50K for the county but leaves out his 2nd or 3rd job.

Be honest with people. Teachers make low 40's. To say otherwise isn't honest. If you want to say a teacher makes over $50K, don't leave out all the extra jobs they have to have to do so.

And if you want credibilty - at least address the very factually incorrect beef thread you started.
He's talking about work at the school. Clubs and things like that I assume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
He's talking about work at the school. Clubs and things like that I assume
No he's not - I know several teachers in Hawaii - many of the people at my company have spouses for teachers. Extra pay is an extra job. It's wrong to imply teachers make mid 50's when they can only do so with extra jobs.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM

217 posts, read 431,167 times
I work in education (not a teacher) with the Hawaiian schools. My first pay check was much less than I thought and I did all different calculations.... It was a huge wakeup call. My monthly salary (after the 5% cut) this month is $3,049.69. Subtract my health coverage, taxes, union dues, retirement, social security, etc, and I end up with slightly over $2,000. Most people i education here have second jobs. The pay here is complete crap, but I enjoy what I do and couldn't get this job anywhere else that paid better. It would be rougher if I live on a more expensive island too.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I for one appreciate the information you've shared. I've got 39 days to go myself.

I see that Oahu is not alone with all the extra work for teachers, some of the Big Island after-school gigs pay $20-30 per hour. In MS teachers are not allowed to tutor for money, some do but if they get caught they are fired. Michigan may have similar rules.
hmm...after-school gigs?

These are just tutoring jobs? Helping the students with their homework and such?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I work in education (not a teacher) with the Hawaiian schools. My first pay check was much less than I thought and I did all different calculations.... It was a huge wakeup call. My monthly salary (after the 5% cut) this month is $3,049.69. Subtract my health coverage, taxes, union dues, retirement, social security, etc, and I end up with slightly over $2,000. Most people i education here have second jobs. The pay here is complete crap, but I enjoy what I do and couldn't get this job anywhere else that paid better. It would be rougher if I live on a more expensive island too.
MMoon - teachers or people in education are grossly underpaid in Hawaii. It's a travesty. You should be paid a lot more. So should Wink.

It's sad someone on here suggests a teacher in Oahu makes $55K without extra jobs. It isn't true.

People in Hawaii are grossly underpaid in education and to suggest they routinely make $55K is in insult to those in education.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM

217 posts, read 431,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
MMoon - teachers or people in education are grossly underpaid in Hawaii. It's a travesty. You should be paid a lot more. So should Wink.

It's sad someone on here suggests a teacher in Oahu makes $55K without extra jobs. It isn't true.

People in Hawaii are grossly underpaid in education and to suggest they routinely make $55K is in insult to those in education.

It really is. Most of the workers I know that have families work a second job during the school year, and have another full time job in the summer. I'm lucky in one aspect because I don't have kids or a spouse. Money is very tight. I was lucky though with rent. I am renting a large furnished bedroom with private bath, laundry, tv, wifi, and all bills included for $550.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM

219 posts, read 497,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
hmm...after-school gigs?

These are just tutoring jobs? Helping the students with their homework and such?

Yes, some of the schools are looking to hire tutors for after school programs and those started around 17.50 an hour. The higher paying work was after school work with special needs children. I think the higher paying position was filled very quickly because the ad is gone now but someone wanted after school life skills lessons for their child: help w/ home work, teach them how to use a kitchen, laundry, etc. Full Life on the Kona side was also hiring people to assist special needs students a few hours a week and pay was based on credentials.

Unfortunately, all the work I was interested in has been filled in less than a week. I was just looking for options. I worked hard for my degree and if I have to take a gig or part-time job to make it, I would prefer work related to it.

Also went back to collect a link to "prove" some schools DO pay teachers for after school work: Tutors at Cheifess Kapiolani (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/edu/2776460226.html - broken link)

Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 84,087 times
Teachers here start in the low forties. In order to make 55 K you need to have education credits comparable to a master's and about 10 years in. I'm not sure if making 95 K should be applauded, since that is about equivalent to making 60k combined in a place like Portland or Denver. Not bad, but not necessarily a financial accomplishment.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Default How I spent my day......

After reading the thread that isn't true about newly minted teachers in Hawaii making 55K - I did the following.

I went to the beach - well, it was low 80's and sunny - and a little windy.

What I also did is meet 2 teachers at lunch - and call a couple of others. They were both teachers a long time that I met in person. Since they've taught a long time, they make above average wages and have been around the block.

I asked them - can you really make mid 50's as a newly minted teacher. Across the board they said no, absolutely not, no way.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-23-2012 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: do not discuss mod actions in a post

Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Maybe I read something wrong, but I thought he said that his wife was making $40k a year from teaching plus and additional $300 a week from other "gigs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: