Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see the lead story tonight 1/26 with the dogs which were leashed attacking a pig - where people were holding down the pig in a fenced area.

I'm a animal lover - eat meat - but that was terrible - stop animal cruelty in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
I didn't see it and I'm glad...but that is truly disgusting and cruel. What posesses these people. Or should we even dignify them by calling them human?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
That's not a good way to get a decent carcass afterwards. A quick clean kill provides a much better source of food.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That's not a good way to get a decent carcass afterwards. A quick clean kill provides a much better source of food.
It wasn't a hunt - it was kids who put a pig in an small enclosed area just to torture it - they were apparently caught and arrested - the dogs taken away - pig not killed.

I'm not vegetarian - but, teenagers who tortures animals aren't generally role models.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
The kids were allegedly training hunting dogs. What is next outlawing hunting?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
How about outlawing kids!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
You must not have seen the video then - or if you had, then yes.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Did anyone else see the lead story tonight 1/26 with the dogs which were leashed attacking a pig - where people were holding down the pig in a fenced area.

I'm a animal lover - eat meat - but that was terrible - stop animal cruelty in Hawaii.
did you see the one where the lady attacked the peacock?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Peacocks are very annoying, she was acquitted because she was deranged from lack of sleep. I could see it happening, although she should have chosen a better method for dealing with the loud annoying bird or dispatching the animal quickly and cleanly. She needs hunting classes and then there would be a lot less animal cruelty in her world.

As folks are getting further and further away from animals, they are losing the ability to deal with them as animals when necessary and seem to be trying to humanize them when ever possible. This humanization works for little fluffy, but doesn't work so good when you have a problem animal. We need to be careful to not go too far towards protectionism because not all animals need to be protected, some of them need to be managed. If we made feral pigs a protected species we'd be over run. Of course, this means we shouldn't torture them, but they should be dispatched quickly and cleanly. It's also more pono to eat them afterwards. Hanabata days, it was "you killed it, you eat it". Folks don't seem to do that anymore.

We need the hunters or we'd be over run with pigs. Personally, I think trapping the pigs and shooting them is more humane (plus provides a better carcass) but it wouldn't work for all the situations where pigs are destroying things.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM

The story was on the news again this morning - the dogs were taken away from the family and are up for adoption. Animal cruelty charges are pending against the 2 boys and the uncle. In both of the stories I watched - never has the notion of training the dogs for hunting has come up in the stories I've seen. It was kids being extremely cruel to animals - and this stuff has to stop - it is well documented that animal cruelity at a young age doesn't usually lead to model citizens later in life.

And, the pig was owned by someone. This wasn't a wild animal.

There is a big difference between legal hunting and outright animal cruelty.

Here is the story

Dogs in animal cruelty probe up for adoption - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii