Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 AM

62 posts, read 223,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Summary - internet service via RR is fine for internet, but not if you need the quality for VOIP. At least not in Kihei on Maui. Or maybe it could be OK, but we can't get anyone at RR to care enough to make it so.
I use MagicJack at my house which is VoIP type service and I have crystal clear sound and I use Oceanic. I do not have any issues with sound quality at all.

Although Oceanic will not honor any QOS tagging you shouldn't have any issues with call quality. Check the settings in the VoIP router if you haven't already. If you are running less than five (5) lines there shouldn't be any issues. The compression of the voice packets really doesn't even come into play either. About the only issue would be if you are running multiple sessions of citrix or even RDP. Then it becomes a packets per second issue that the Oceanic router can't handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Hawaiian Telcom rates

Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,858 times
Default Hawaiian Telcom Highspeed Internet

I was thinking about getting Hawaiian Telcom Extreme (20 down/3 up) package. Currently, I have Road Runner Standard (10 down/1 up). Although, I get close to that, during the early evening hours download drops to 50%.
Called HT and they indicated that they'd have to install a gateway instead of the typical DSL modem which requires an installer to come to the house. Was told that the gateway has wireless built-in, but I'd prefer to use my existing netgear 802.11n router for security reasons. Will this configuration work? The CSR didn't know.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
I don't know what gateway they'll give you, but the one I have has a mode where it functions as a modem. You can also chain them together and have both wireless networks functioning in your house.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh808 View Post
I was thinking about getting Hawaiian Telcom Extreme (20 down/3 up) package. Currently, I have Road Runner Standard (10 down/1 up). Although, I get close to that, during the early evening hours download drops to 50%.
Called HT and they indicated that they'd have to install a gateway instead of the typical DSL modem which requires an installer to come to the house. Was told that the gateway has wireless built-in, but I'd prefer to use my existing netgear 802.11n router for security reasons. Will this configuration work? The CSR didn't know.
Run your router behind theirs and just use their router as a gateway.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,796 times
Just picked up HT Ultimate speed, wanted to get the elite but the rep said you can only get elite if the new TV service is available in the area. Luckily enough I only live .7 miles from the CO so my speeds so far have been pretty max.

The installer put in a new d-mark at my place as it was needed to handled the higher bandwidth. Also, the gateway he installed is the new TV/Dsl box that handles both. It's the same one that AT&T uses for their U-verse service. Haven't had any throttle issues yet, but so far so good. Happy to get off of Oceanic as it is horrible where i'm at.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
It sounds good, psu808, but that would raise our monthly internet costs by quite a bit. RR works okay for what we use it for although it isn't consistent in it's speed. It looks like we will be staying with RR since we can't get a reasonable alternative for less.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh808 View Post
Their wireless router (most likely a Motorola) has virtually the same security features as your Netgear router. No worries.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Their wireless router (most likely a Motorola) has virtually the same security features as your Netgear router. No worries.
It may have "virtually" the same security features however, I do not believe they will give you control of any of them. If you just use their router as a gateway and run your router behind you will have full log in access to your router and can configure it however you wish.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bound View Post
It may have "virtually" the same security features however, I do not believe they will give you control of any of them. If you just use their router as a gateway and run your router behind you will have full log in access to your router and can configure it however you wish.
You have full control of it, including router password and remote access - which you can turn off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii