U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 PM

5,876 posts, read 9,557,724 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever compared Roadrunner to Hawaiian Telcom internet? Hawaiian TelCom has an internet service now, has anyone tried that one? Is it faster than Roadrunner? Many blackouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 AM

3,755 posts, read 5,766,555 times
Well... Roadrunner is cable internet. Hawaiian TelCom is DSL through the phone line.
Cable starts at near 10mb and DSL starts at 3mb, up to about 11mb (in Hawaii).
The farther you are from the station, the slower the speed is that you can get.
Cable can (and does) really slow down at "busy times" like when the kids get out of school.
DSL is extremely consistent.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Status: "Hawaii homeownership rate is at the highest in history!" (set 1 day ago)

5,270 posts, read 4,323,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Anybody ever compared Roadrunner to Hawaiian Telcom internet? Hawaiian TelCom has an internet service now, has anyone tried that one? Is it faster than Roadrunner? Many blackouts?
It's rare for DSL to be able to reach the speed of cable internet (Roadrunner)

Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM

431 posts, read 432,179 times
I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL service and just recently started having issues with it. Whenever I get a phone call and I'm on the computer the computer poops out. Then I have to reboot the router. Really annoying.
Has me getting all nostalgic about dial-up.
I'll call them and see if they can do anything but if it continues I'll think about going with RoadRunner.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM

5,876 posts, read 9,557,724 times
Hmm, it doesn't look like there is a clear winner. We are currently with Roadrunner and it does get slow at times. DSL is less expensive and I don't know if we use all the speed available or not. We don't watch movies on the computer or download or listen to music much. The occasional UTube video and such but not much of them. It will probably continue to be more and more video, though, I think folks are forgetting how to read. However, it is noticeable sometimes that things are slow.

So, should we stay with Roadrunner or go for the less expensive DSL and hope it's not all that much slower? Or that we have problems with being booted off when the phone rings?

How does one find out what speed the DSL lines are in one's area?

Mostly we have Roadrunner since I need to send blueprints to the printers and those can be huge files. Roadrunner lets me attach massive files to emails and send them. Does DSL allow this?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM

12,511 posts, read 10,351,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Mostly we have Roadrunner since I need to send blueprints to the printers and those can be huge files. Roadrunner lets me attach massive files to emails and send them. Does DSL allow this?
The upload speeds on DSL are a fraction of the download speeds. On Hawai'i Telcom, the Premium service lists a download speed of "up to 15" and an upload speed of "up to 1." <snooze>

And DSL service degrades as people pile on the same way cable internet does, maybe worse.

IOW, no, I don't think you would be happy with a switch.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM

97 posts, read 137,375 times
I used DSL for 10 years on the mainland and have been using RoadRunner cable for the last 2 years. I don't notice much of a difference as far as speed goes. I can't speak to the quality of service from Hawaiian Telcom but you can read reviews here: Review of Hawaiian Telcom | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

If Hawaiian Telcom offered DSL in my neighborhood, I would switch since it is significantly cheaper than what Oceanic charges.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Status: "Hawaii homeownership rate is at the highest in history!" (set 1 day ago)

5,270 posts, read 4,323,378 times
I don't think you'll be happy with a switch either - you might not watch movies today - but alot of TV's not have wireless for Netflix, DSL would be terrible for that - I'm sure you can attach large files for DSL but they will send and receive much slower.

You won't know what DSL speed you get until it is hooked up - perhaps they can give you a free trial if you suggest concerns.

Here is a good site to test upload/download speed - let the page load then click, begin test:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM

97 posts, read 137,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't think you'll be happy with a switch either - you might not watch movies today - but alot of TV's not have wireless for Netflix, DSL would be terrible for that - I'm sure you can attach large files for DSL but they will send and receive much slower.

You won't know what DSL speed you get until it is hooked up - perhaps they can give you a free trial if you suggest concerns.

Here is a good site to test upload/download speed - let the page load then click, begin test:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I've streamed TV and movies for years on DSL without problem and see no difference now that I'm on cable.

You also don't know what speed you'll get on cable until it's hooked up.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM

4,134 posts, read 3,164,332 times
Hawaiian Telcom just updated their rates. 7mbps is only $25 or so.

They never throttle your connection, unlike Roadrunner. It's also a locally owned company. Why would anybody not use Hawaiian Tel?

BTW my 7mbps service got upgraded to 11mbps with the new rates, so I'm going to have them downgrade me to 7 to save money. I watch a lot of streaming video and 7 is more than enough. 3 is probably enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii