U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,145,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I was shocked when I was planning my trip the only way is to fly, and it's not cheap at all

I think i'm paying like 150 to fly round trip from Hilo to Honolulu

I can fly from Denver to Los Angeles for 120$ (round trip)
Several reasons:
1. Hawaii is some 3,900 kn from the mainland with NO land between. Everything to operate the airline has to be imported ewhich adds additional cost to flights that mainland city to city flights don;t incur.

2. Hawaii airposts are mostly considered final stops or better stated "No chance for more money" destinations. A person flying from anywhere USA to denever or LA can hop continuing flights to many other areas of the mainland. So revenue sharing subsidizes many flights based on continuation ticketing history. When was the last time you knew someone to travel from Dallas to Hawaii to Seattle versus Dallas to Denver or LA to Seattle?

3. hawaii doen;t have that many passennger revenue seat flights so in the big picture, less people have to cover the cost of the airline operation which mena smore cost for the fare. A similar size airport like Honolulu will have twice as many reveneus seats per airline to cover cost.

4. Little competetion to drive down cost. Hawaii can;t support too many airlines and as it stands right now, between Hawaiian and Go the passeneger base can;t support any more ailines. I can tell you that several others have looked at Hawaii inter-island and have concluded that they can't make any money. You will see co-branding, co-sharing and code sharing but not a direct independent operation of another airline.

5. Hawaii has little up-profit business. Few people travel to hawaii on busijness and many so called first abnd bsusines class trips are non revenue incentive travel. You can literally board a plane from the mainland to Hawaii and the entire first class cabin paid $0 for their seats. Even if the airline limited the incentive seats, they may get no paying takers so might as well use them miles.

6. Cargo and last minute fares help reduce the average ticket price but Hawaii is in the bottom percentage in both groups due to the limitation of their flights. A business person flying from the west coast to Japan has many options to get to Japan. One is to fly to Honolulu and take a foreign airline flight to Japan. But why would a person do that when they have so much more scheduling, procong, and carrier choices by leaving from CA? They don;t so Hawaii doen;t have that transient crowd subsidizing inter-island airfare. If I was flying to Brazil from Miami and had the option of a longer layover, I may fly to PR for a side trip increasing t hat airlines revenue sources. but I'm not going to fly into LA, take a side trip to Honolulu so i can fly a interisland trip to Molokai. Thats airline revenue genrating sources that can subsidize flight segements that don;t exist on Hawaii.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM

5,783 posts, read 9,313,917 times
Go! drove Aloha airlines out of business because Hawaiian had just gone through a restructuring the year before and had new airplanes with better gas mileage and less repair costs so they were able to survive when Go! showed up. When running from a bear, you don't have to be faster than the bear, you just need to be faster than the other guy.

We really don't have any good ways to get inter-island anymore so a lot of us don't go anymore.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

2,165 posts, read 2,094,693 times
So if you live in Hawaii going to another island is like a vacation almost? Not something you just "do" for the weekend or whatever?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Status: "More Hurricanes? Mainland conspiracy?" (set 3 days ago)

5,102 posts, read 4,108,389 times
Quote:
So if you live in Hawaii going to another island is like a vacation almost? Not something you just "do" for the weekend or whatever?
Usually vacation or see family. Your wallet gets thin fast between airfare, hotel, and car for weekend getaways.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM

465 posts, read 930,298 times
Quote:
I was shocked when I was planning my trip the only way is to fly, and it's not cheap at all

You can't compare the two, for instance, LA to Bakersfield, a distance of approximately 100 miles is a whopping $500!. LA to Sacramento can run 200-300. Denver to Wichita, 250, Denver to Salt Lake City, 200. All of these are much shorter routes than LA-Den. Frequency, and passenger load are often times more important than distance when comparing fares.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM

2,165 posts, read 2,094,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
You can't compare the two, for instance, LA to Bakersfield, a distance of approximately 100 miles is a whopping $500!. LA to Sacramento can run 200-300. Denver to Wichita, 250, Denver to Salt Lake City, 200. All of these are much shorter routes than LA-Den. Frequency, and passenger load are often times more important than distance when comparing fares.
I know they vary differently, was just an example with something that had some mileage and was cheap.

Maybe I was just expecting some kinda ferry service you pay a couple bucks and you're on another island in no time.

How did they do it in like the 20s, 50s, etc?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,145,178 times
Quote:
How did they do it in like the 20s, 50s, etc?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM

25 posts, read 63,024 times
Thanks for the information. We were prepared for the cost but I thought maybe locals knew a better option. Years ago when we were in Hawaii it was possible to purchase cheaper airline tickets at an ATM (maybe this was when Aloha was in business?) The ferry to Lanai was the one I was remembering, which is why I wasnt interested in repeating the experience.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM

697 posts, read 622,562 times
Quote:

Both sound like bargains to me. Juneau to Sitka (95 miles) is $176 ONE WAY on Alaska Airlines. That is what a TRUE monopoly gets you.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM

48 posts, read 229,486 times
Business travelers only use Hawaiian for interisland travel. Contrary to the media, the planes sometimes are not on time, HOWEVER, most are. And the ones that are not on time, if it's something like 30-45 minutes late, then it's deemed "choke late". If there's a late problem it's in the range of 10-20 minutes. They simply have enough planes to mitigate any adverse scheduling problems.

In contrast, flying Go! if you have a 1 hour delay it's deemed "quite a short delay" and routinely get 2-3 hour delays. Not worth the $10 savings or whatever their discount is these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii