Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 6,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Having lived in Oregon (briefly) I found the cost of living in Hawaii 50% higher and any salary at least 25% lower.

Why Hawaii? In Oregon you've likely got superior healthcare, a better quality of life, better education, beaches, mountains.......why move to one of the most remote places in the world?
Wait, so why aren't YOU back in Oregon then? Haha That's an easy answer for me... I LOVE HAWAII! I love the culture, the people, the beauty, the feeling I feel when I am there. I am fully aware of the cost of living. Geez, just going into the grocery store makes my eyes wide because it is double the price! That is why I mentioned I would be living on a VERY tight budget - because I would be spending more just to live there. I have a few tricks up my sleeve as how to save a bit of money though. The education in Oregon isn't better, however the community college most likely is. My parents both got their bachelors and masters degrees from the UH and said they loved it. They continued their education in Oregon but really liked the UH. My mom is a doctor, I can have all of my charts sent to her to look over if I ever have a medical problem, so the quality of healthcare doesn't bother me much (unless I am put in the ICU or need the trauma center in Portland!!!) The point is, I'm tired of Oregon, I've been dreaming of living in Hawaii for a long time, and while I am single and still pursuing my education is probably the best time for me to go. I can then see where life takes me. It's a possibility I wont have the opportunity later on in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
All I would say is please don't go unprepared. Plan it out wisely and bring lots of $$$! Also, don't bring a lot of debt with you and I would recommend that you set aside at least 50% of your savings just incase you decide that living in Hawai'i is not for you. That way you won't get stuck.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLove View Post
Wait, so why aren't YOU back in Oregon then? Haha That's an easy answer for me... I LOVE HAWAII! I love the culture, the people, the beauty, the feeling I feel when I am there. I am fully aware of the cost of living. Geez, just going into the grocery store makes my eyes wide because it is double the price! That is why I mentioned I would be living on a VERY tight budget - because I would be spending more just to live there. I have a few tricks up my sleeve as how to save a bit of money though. The education in Oregon isn't better, however the community college most likely is. My parents both got their bachelors and masters degrees from the UH and said they loved it. They continued their education in Oregon but really liked the UH. My mom is a doctor, I can have all of my charts sent to her to look over if I ever have a medical problem, so the quality of healthcare doesn't bother me much (unless I am put in the ICU or need the trauma center in Portland!!!) The point is, I'm tired of Oregon, I've been dreaming of living in Hawaii for a long time, and while I am single and still pursuing my education is probably the best time for me to go. I can then see where life takes me. It's a possibility I wont have the opportunity later on in life.
Ok, right back at you, if it was so great for your parents, why did they leave?

In answer to your earlier question - why I'm in Hawaii and not Oregon - I planned my move for more than 10 years and can afford it.

You can dream all you want - but you still have to pay the bills.

Everyone - the best time to come is not when you don't have money - but is when you are established with a career and have seveal months savings you can afford to lose.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 32,220 times
Aloha, islandlove, since you were asking questions about the bus in Oahu I feel I can fill you in with some information about it. I spent about 1 month and a half taking the bus while I waited for my car to be shipped to me from the mainland. The bus system isn't as great as you might think, it's very unreliable,never on time and it takes forever to get to places. sometimes it will take me about an hour to get to downtown from Makiki. But If you don't mind the commuting time, the bus is totally doable specially if you live in Waikiki or Dowtown, the downside is that rent is usually a lot more expensive in those areas.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Not sure about IHS. You could buy a moped to get around or a bicycle. Both cost $15 lifetime registration. Check with other native american organizations to see about health programs. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM

270 posts, read 506,171 times
The bus system isn't as great as you might think, it's very unreliable,never on time and it takes forever to get to places. sometimes it will take me about an hour to get to downtown from Makiki.

I am shocked.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
All I would say is please don't go unprepared. Plan it out wisely and bring lots of $$$! Also, don't bring a lot of debt with you and I would recommend that you set aside at least 50% of your savings just incase you decide that living in Hawai'i is not for you. That way you won't get stuck.
Wishing you the best of luck!
Thank you! Yeah, as I mentioned, I am pretty aware that I need to be COMPLETELY prepared and have all my ducks in a row before I would make the move. My family visits Hawaii a lot so that is helpful just for the soul. I could get stuck financially temporarily but good advice and living even more frugally could help get me out of it. I have a very loving family and if I was literally stuck and had to come home or else literally not survive my family is very kind and would pay for me to return. I would just slowly pay them back. Luckily, I have a large amount in my savings account and while I am in Portland a few hundred gets added every month to it. That helps me insure I can pay first and last month's rent, and the initial small things that add up when you have to move (a new license, shipping costs, random things like that.)

Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ok, right back at you, if it was so great for your parents, why did they leave?

In answer to your earlier question - why I'm in Hawaii and not Oregon - I planned my move for more than 10 years and can afford it.

You can dream all you want - but you still have to pay the bills.

Everyone - the best time to come is not when you don't have money - but is when you are established with a career and have seveal months savings you can afford to lose.
To be honest, my Mom would send me money if I needed it and take it out of my inheritance. Or, I pay her back each month on my return to the mainland when I'd have more money. I want to be able to do it on my own, even if I am living with less money than I would in Portland. I have nine month's savings in my account. My goal is to spend as little out of it as possible because I wont be accumulating any more into it if I move to Hawaii. I would like to get my education in Hawaii. Also, since I am single, I can go. If I am tied down, not everyone wants to live in Hawaii for at least a few years, especially if their career wont let them. I have extreme perseverance and if I want something I always make it happen. I would hate to live my life and say "I never got to live in Hawaii." My parents loved it but I am not sure why they moved to Oregon. They were very depressed the first year they moved though. They couldn't stand it. I think they wanted to get away from the beach and all the playing you can do and get more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii