Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times

Advertisements

sorry the link didn't post.

Look at www.sonhawaii.org and look at the top for 10 myths about vacation rentals.

Last edited by Joliefille; 02-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: bad link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
The last mayor of Maui, Charmaine Tavares, cracked down on illegal vacation rentals, but those "businesspeople" screamed. I believe that's one reason she didn't get reelected.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Reform bills to spell out short-term rental rules - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Interersting that all those posters asking about rent to retire have disapeared.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Interersting that all those posters asking about rent to retire have disapeared.
Hi Joliefille,

I am "one of those posters" who asked about rent-to-retire. Your statement implies that people asking about rent-to-retire are not commenting on your thread because we're all sheepishly considering something illegal (or worse yet, doing something illegal). But perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

I have purchased a rent-to-retire property and I had/have absolutely no interest in attempting to operate and illegal or non-conforming vacation rental.

I can only speak for myself but I specifically chose the property I chose because it IS already zoned for short-term rental. And interestingly enough, I've rented it to a long-term tenant and prefer that to short-term vacation rentals. I just wanted the option ... legally ... if I chose to rent short-term.

I do feel it would be a shame if people intentionally set out to purchase and operate a vacation rental property with total disregard to the existing zoning laws. And those operators should be turned in to the authorities.
But I can tell you that as a rent-to-retire owner, I intentionally set out to work within the laws in place in the state of Hawaii and look forward to the day I transition to a full time retired resident.

Anyway, just wanted you to know all the rent-to-retire posters have not disappeared and are not involved in illegal vacation rentals.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Good post! While I was not speaking to you personally, my point, as you recognized, was to inform those considering buying a rental that is not zoned for short term that it does have a negative effect on those who live here permanently.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
The key here is "zoned for short-term rental," and in other cases the ability (or inability) to obtain a permit to operate a short-term rental. I do appreciate WaikikiBoy's respect of the laws, but the problem is most people considering (dreaming of) rent-to-retire are often not aware of them. The put in motion the plan, the real-estate agent doesn't talk tell them the legality of rentals, and then when they do find out, they're tempte to run an illegal rental. So thanks to Joliefille (joli nom au fait) for helping to spread the awareness.

During the boomtimes, it was common for real-estate agents on Kaua'i to pimp a property (either the whole thing or the 'ohana unit--aka mother-in-law unit) as a vacation rental. They didn't care where it was, they really wanted to make the sale. Then when the county started cracking down, they would complain: but how can I pay the mortgage on my vacation/retirement home if I can't rent it out. Or worse, they threatened to sue the county for "taking" away their perceived right to run a business.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
I think there are a lot of people who make emotional purchases in Hawaii without doing any research. They don't think about things like zoning and just think they can rent a property in any manner they choose. Because they've done no research, they just move forward with the purchase.

I wonder how many existing illegally operated short-term vacation rental properties are owned by rent-to-retire mainlander's -vs- local residents who know the laws, know they can get away with it, and have made second home purchases on island as personal investment properties.

My building is a legally zoned Short-term rental building. I assumed most owners were mainland residents who owned a unit as a vacation property, and a lot are. But, I was surprised to find out that many owners in the building were local residents who had purchased a unit as a personal investment.

Anyway, likely no way to know. But I suspect there are more illegal short-term vacation rental properties owned by local residents than people might think. Just a hunch.

But long story short, if I was a local resident living in a residential area, I certainly would not want an illegal short-term rental as my next door neighbor. People need to learn the laws that govern their investments before they make the purchase. Or accept the consequences if they cross the line.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Good post! While I was not speaking to you personally, my point, as you recognized, was to inform those considering buying a rental that is not zoned for short term that it does have a negative effect on those who live here permanently.
I have to disagree.
In my area (Puna) the vacation rentals are the ones that are the best maintained, thus increasing property values. Rental properties also pay more in property taxes than owner occupied. Since occupancy is well less than 100% in most of them, additional traffic concerns is another misnomer.

BTW, in Hawaii County - there is no such thing as "zoned for short-term rental". A landlord can rent long or short term as they desire.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I have to disagree.
In my area (Puna) the vacation rentals are the ones that are the best maintained, thus increasing property values. Rental properties also pay more in property taxes than owner occupied. Since occupancy is well less than 100% in most of them, additional traffic concerns is another misnomer.

BTW, in Hawaii County - there is no such thing as "zoned for short-term rental". A landlord can rent long or short term as they desire.
I'm sure everyone understands that BI is a different situation than the other islands. There's more room, less congestion, fewer tourist etc..so what goes in Puna doesn't represent what occurs on Oahu. Or Maui. Or Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii