Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
Kailua-Kona is the touristy side of the Big Island, so you will experience a lot more of "people living the fast lifestyle" than you would in other places on the island.
Well - given the wish list I don't see Maui being a great option - way way more tourists in Maui than Kona and a heck of lot more stoplights also. Hilo is going to be way to wet - the near 365 day rain would be a shock from what I've read.

I'd almost rate his best options in order as as:

Kauai (but he's never mentioned that)
Big Island - Kailua-Kona side
Maui
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Are you looking for a small community (ie small town), with nearby stores, schools, churches, etc? Or, are large lots with neighbors an acre away, and dirt roads, and off the grid (meaning rural), OK with you? If rural, that opens up many other options, especially on the Big Island.
Regarding Hawaii Island choices, I go back to my question. Or maybe I should rephrase it:

How far are you willing to drive to a grocery store?
To a hospital/doctor/dentist?
To the movies?
To a hardware store?

And, are you willing to live off the grid?
Will you accept using a generator?
Water tank (catch system)?
Dirt roads?

On the Big Island, those things matter when looking for a house (especially since you've said condos are out).

Beaches are nearby everywhere. Bike riding is really "iffy", but the Queen Kaahumanu Hwy is well used by long distance bike riders.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM

124 posts, read 431,811 times
Sort of rural but somewhat commutable might suggest the following:

BI -- Kamuela/Waimea area
Maui-- Makawao area

Honestly, It is difficult for me to get a sense of what these good folks
are truly looking for in terms of a community where they can live. In addition,
I am curious if they have ever been to Hawai'i. I don't seem to recall
reading that they had traveled to the islands in the past. If these folks
haven't been to Hawai'i, then I would suggest they use the short, two
week period they are located at either the BI or Maui to carefully use
the time to research their options.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM

56 posts, read 166,269 times
No we haven't been to Hawaii and from what i am reading our 2-3 week trip will just be a research deal and we'll have to go back again to narrow things down.

We have pretty much assumed i'll be going by myself atleast once for employment purposes.

As far as how we want to live....

We want should i say "more rural than city". No we don't want to use generators. But a big city in a large neighborhood isn't what we want either. Hard to give a good description in written word. I didn't mean earlier we want out in the middle of nowhere, just not in town or right outside a big city.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM

How far is Makawao from the ocean and/or major hospitals?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM

124 posts, read 431,811 times
noahj1102 Wrote:
"No we haven't been to Hawaii and from what i am reading our 2-3 week trip will just be a research deal and we'll have to go back again to narrow things down....................How far is Makawao from the ocean and/or major hospitals?"

Sorry, but I can't really give any good details on how far Makawao is from the ocean or hospitals. Not far as I recall. I know this will sound a bit odd, however in Hawai'i they are only as far or near as the person you happen to be following on the road. I've only been to Makawao once or twice (a long time ago), and one trip was for the express purpose of hunting down and purchasing Maui Hotdogs...The really good, crunchy ones. I didn't find the hot dogs, but I found a bakery that makes the best malasada in Hawai'i. Hands down the best, and now I cannot remember the name of the place, but I can still taste those malasada!

Frankly, I hope you take the time and have the opportunity to meet the people of Hawai'i, relax and and really enjoy your trip. Good Luck with your research and have fun.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj1102 View Post
Welllll, i haven't. That is what i'm trying to convince my wife to do before we make a huge decision like this.
Uh, yeah.
You HAVE to go hang out there...can you manage a few days on a couple of different islands to really understand what they're about?

They are all totally different.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
How far is Makawao from the ocean and/or major hospitals?
30 minutes give or take depending on traffic.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
We want should i say "more rural than city". No we don't want to use generators. But a big city in a large neighborhood isn't what we want either. Hard to give a good description in written word. I didn't mean earlier we want out in the middle of nowhere, just not in town or right outside a big city.
Hawaii Island does not have any "big cities" by most mainland standards. Hilo is the largest at 40,000+. So, you should be comfortable most anywhere here, as far as the population goes.

How about the rest of my questions? These questions really are important considerations when looking at Big Island homes. Perhaps we could be more helpful if we knew:

How far are you willing to drive to a grocery store?
To a hospital/doctor/dentist?
To the movies?
To a hardware store?

And, are you willing to live off the grid?
Will you accept using a generator? [You've said no]
Water tank (catch system)?
Dirt roads?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM

What's a general cost for a plane to hop islands? I'd like to spend multiple days on TBI and Maui atleast.

How far are you willing to drive to a grocery store? 20 minutes give or take

To a hospital/doctor/dentist? 30 minutes

To the movies? rarely if ever go to a movie (outdoors is our entertainment)

To a hardware store? 30 minutes

And, are you willing to live off the grid? yes
Will you accept using a generator? no
Water tank (catch system)? no
Dirt roads? yes

The town we live in now in South Denver has a population of 41,000. Here it is Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: Parker, CO - from MONEY Magazine

That small town feel they talk about is bull. Thats what we were told 3 years ago when we moved here and now it's too much. Maybe 41,000 in Parker, but down the road either direction is other "small" towns with 41,000 or more people. Everywhere you look new apartment complexes are popping up. Less than a mile from our house is a huge nursing facility set to open. Add the huge reservoir right across the street from that....not a small town to us.

Nothing against nursing facilities and reservoirs (my wife works in a nursing facility and i'm a RN), but in a residential neighborhood area? That's the type of things we want to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii