Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times

Advertisements

As mentioned many times, there isn't anything in Hawaii that the Democrats (who have never not been in charge of the legislature in Hawaii's history) don't tax. It has a cumulative effect on the poorest people.

National Study: Hawaii Tops the List of State with Most Services Taxed | Hawaii Reporter

“...We know that Hawaii's GET is so comprehensive, taxing both goods and services that's what is so good and bad about the tax. It has such a broad base that it allows a low rate of 4% to generate so much money and so bad in that it hurts the poor the most because nearly all of a poor family's budget is spent on consumption of both goods and services...”

For people interested in moving to Hawaii, these very pervasive taxes need to be taken into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Did this come as some sort of a 'surprise' to you? Kind of like the bugs, the traffic, the 10 dollar a gallon milk? Why is it people move over here and are suddenly 'shocked' by this crap? I could understand it happening prior to the internet, but now? Try the sales tax in Texas or California, and then see where Hawaii stands, or, better yet, don't. Wouldn't want to encourage more idiots moving over here.
I don't really mean the 'idiots' part, but, sometimes..........................

Aloha and okoledakine

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Did this come as some sort of a 'surprise' to you? Kind of like the bugs, the traffic, the 10 dollar a gallon milk? Why is it people move over here and are suddenly 'shocked' by this crap? I could understand it happening prior to the internet, but now? Try the sales tax in Texas or California, and then see where Hawaii stands, or, better yet, don't. Wouldn't want to encourage more idiots moving over here.
I don't really mean the 'idiots' part, but, sometimes..........................

Aloha and okoledakine
Not a surprise to me - but taxing food and even medical services is a little over the top...

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
It's not the tax that hurts the poor and middle class, it's the low wages.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Taken out of context, this seems worse than it actually works out. Hawai'i is not the worst overall, so people from some states actually find relief in Hawai'i. This stat simply refers to the number of services that are taxed in Hawai'i. Other states have more exemptions.

Sales and Use taxes in most other states have higher rates than Hawai'i's 4% General Excise Tax (GET), typically running 7 - 9% (Illinois is 11.5%!!!) including local taxes. And while I personally disagree with taxing food, I notice that 10 states do it, and Tennessee's rate on food is 5.5%.

And while sales and use taxes are regressive, yes, what makes Hawai'i's current GET version workable is the fairly low rate. And interestingly enough, many tax experts say this is a favorable structure for economic growth.

So yeah, the taxes in Hawai'i are high overall, but they're not the worst in the country.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM

257 posts, read 491,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Taken out of context, this seems worse than it actually works out. Hawai'i is not the worst overall, so people from some states actually find relief in Hawai'i. This stat simply refers to the number of services that are taxed in Hawai'i. Other states have more exemptions.

Sales and Use taxes in most other states have higher rates than Hawai'i's 4% General Excise Tax (GET), typically running 7 - 9% (Illinois is 11.5%!!!) including local taxes. And while I personally disagree with taxing food, I notice that 10 states do it, and Tennessee's rate on food is 5.5%.

And while sales and use taxes are regressive, yes, what makes Hawai'i's current GET version workable is the fairly low rate. And interestingly enough, many tax experts say this is a favorable structure for economic growth.

So yeah, the taxes in Hawai'i are high overall, but they're not the worst in the country.
I am in chicago, IL. Take it from me, yours isn't that bad. I also own a business here and I pay 3, 4, 5 made up taxes that I was not even aware of until I got the business started.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM

48 posts, read 354,426 times
GET is far more aggressive. It even includes home rental. So the middle class (note I did not say "poor") who can never own a home, are continually caught in this regressive tax for their entire life. So just renting a $1500 home, this is over $700 just for housing alone. Not to mention the GET on utilities, making nearly $1k in taxes just for a place to live. Taxes that would otherwise not be incurred in other states.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
So just renting a $1500 home, this is over $700 just for housing alone. Not to mention the GET on utilities, making nearly $1k in taxes just for a place to live.
Even accepting your assumptions, your math is exaggerating... $300/mo utilities = $144 annual tax. $720 + $144 = $864. Nearly 15% less than $1,000. I find it useful in this kind of discussion to be clean about details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
Taxes that would otherwise not be incurred in other states.
True, but all other things would have to be equal for that to be significant, and they're not.

Other states have higher taxes in different areas, such such as income tax and property tax. End of the day, what the average citizen really cares about is the total tax impact on their life. Yes, the total impact of taxes in Hawai'i is high, but it's not the highest.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Even accepting your assumptions, your math is exaggerating... $300/mo utilities = $144 annual tax. $720 + $144 = $864. Nearly 15% less than $1,000. I find it useful in this kind of discussion to be clean about details.

True, but all other things would have to be equal for that to be significant, and they're not.

Other states have higher taxes in different areas, such such as income tax and property tax. End of the day, what the average citizen really cares about is the total tax impact on their life. Yes, the total impact of taxes in Hawai'i is high, but it's not the highest.

Wow, you're lucky there's no tax on nit picking.

Yet.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Hawaii County = .04167 per cent tax. It is on everything. (Oahu is about 1/2 percent more)
Hawaii also taxes wholesale sales at 1/2 percent - even if the wholesaler sells to another wholesaler, who sells to another, etc. It is a cumulative tax. It all adds up. That is the entire point.

That GET (general excise tax) is not the only tax that a business pays - they also have to pay income tax on the profits.

Hawaii also has a graduated income tax that rises up to over 11% of income!

Illinois does not have 11.5% sales tax. Maybe in Cook County (Chicago) but the rest of the state is much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii