Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
entertainment value

Talk about Very Easily entertained!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Maybe they want to give me ideas of how to stay in Hawaii because misery loves company.

There is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance for a lot of people on this forum whose lives in Hawaii actually suck, but they have to build it up in their minds as worth it. And then there are the ones who don't live here, but have visited and want to share their vast knowledge of this state's economy and job market and whatnot.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Maybe they want to give me ideas of how to stay in Hawaii because misery loves company.

There is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance for a lot of people on this forum whose lives in Hawaii actually suck, but they have to build it up in their minds as worth it.
Lol, could be! Mostly they just sound like flamers, boooring!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
I don't find it entertaining to see snarky, moralistic people attacking someone for accurately talking about their current situation instead of lying to make things sound more "positive." The reality is, we are living in a deep recession coupled with government austerity that makes moving around in the economy a lot more difficult for most people; but I guess you should just blame yourself and not make a deeper analysis of what's going on. He even wrote that he had a hernia operation not too long ago but people are suggesting he take jobs that involve heavy lifting. Censorship is not help.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Exclamation Employment Forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
OK folks, lets help Wink out. Maybe we can come up with things he can do that may not make him rich, but may help with finances. (Probably would be helpful to others, too.)

Wink, please post your resume somewhere where we all can see it. You don't need to put your name, address, phone etc. on it but you do need to put:

-Education
-Work Experience - not just present, but any and all jobs you have done, even as a kid , and whether you liked, just tolerated or hated a particular job
-Skills you have or might want to acquire
-Hobbies
-Interests i.e. things you might be interested in, but have never actually done

That will give us a starting place, and we will have one place for all the info that we all can use.

Everyone join in with ideas, web sites, books, etc.

Also, anyone else that may need specific ideas, put up a resume/questionnaire.

Mickey

Moderators: if you would rather this be in another forum, or just be deleted, let us know.
Sorry, but...there is a separate forum dedicated to situations like this.
This thread should be moved.
Koale

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Sorry, but...there is a separate forum dedicated to situations like this.
This thread should be moved.
Koale
Which one? Whiners R Us? The Power of Negative Thinking? I'm not clear what you are suggesting.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Now I am reminded why I am so careful when I pick who I want to spend time with.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
It's kind of sad that after two threads of many people being very helpful to you, that you still don't understand what it takes to improve your current situation in life. Wink, please take the blinders off. If you buckle down now and work hard, a few years down the road you will reap the rewards...
Seriously, did he *ask* for this thread? This was pretty much forced upon him.

If a bunch of strangers started some internet thread about all the bad decisions I made and the oh-so-obvious choices that would make my life better, I'd be pretty p-o'd as well.

Why are you all so invested in convincing wink that he's all wrong? He's got a crappy job, works too hard for too little money, and has decided it's not worth it. Why do you all take it as a personal affront and somehow want to "fix" it?

His opinion and experience are valid, and it's valuable for him to be on this forum so that potential transplants hear what can go wrong, too.

Chill out, cut him a break, and stop trying to fix a stranger's life. Unless you can offer him a job he's qualified for somewhere he wants to live.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post

If a bunch of strangers started some internet thread about all the bad decisions I made and the oh-so-obvious choices that would make my life better, I'd be pretty p-o'd as well.

Why are you all so invested in convincing wink that he's all wrong? He's got a crappy job, works too hard for too little money, and has decided it's not worth it. Why do you all take it as a personal affront and somehow want to "fix" it?

His opinion and experience are valid, and it's valuable for him to be on this forum so that potential transplants hear what can go wrong, too.

Chill out, cut him a break, and stop trying to fix a stranger's life. Unless you can offer him a job he's qualified for somewhere he wants to live.
You make a very good point. Wink did not start this thread and did not ask for our help.

I don't think we are trying to convince him that he is wrong. We're simply trying to help a person who started a huge thread here saying that they were "stuck in Hawaii" and continues to complain about it. However, you do make a good point. Maybe he never wanted our help and just wanted to vent.

"His opinion and experience are valid, and it's valuable for him to be on this forum so that potential transplants hear what can go wrong, too."
I agree with this 100%!

I know for a fact that there ARE people here that can offer Wink a job. Just not sure he would take it. Others here might know people in the GIS field, but based on his postings, might be reluctant to recommend him.

I think it is a great sign that so many people here have spent their time over the last few months reading about someone in trouble and are at least trying to help by offering advice. It shows that there are people who care about others, even others that they have never met. However, I think you are right, Wink probably didn't really want our help.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM

12 posts, read 22,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post

I am fairly new here but I must say that I have found it truly heart warming that so many have reached out and tried to help. Maybe no one has hit upon anything yet that works for wink but at least people are trying. After all, isn't helping others that we do not know with advice the whole point of this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: