Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 53,334 times

Advertisements

I think MsHell has provided you with some good answers. I have only lived on the Big Island so can offer no help relating to anything but that. The Big Island has U of H, too. I think your decision needs to be based on what type of life you plan on leading. We picked the Big Island because the east side of the island still offers affordable living for "the average Joe", which we are. Hilo seems to be very family friendly, which is very important to us since we are still raising our children. We've lived in big city life before and have no desire for that again. I have heard that pretty much describes Oahu (big city). Again, I am basing that on comments from others. My family and I lived on 8 acres, completely surrounded by woods, with my mother having 159 acres surrounding us, so privacy is a plus for us. There are subdivisions in Puna that still offer acreage, which is very appealing to us. Again, good luck with whatever decision you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM

42 posts, read 221,536 times
Smile moving to HI

Thanks a lot for all the answered questions!! Are there any activities for kids to get involved there? Places to take them to share as familly. Here in AZ there's Peter Pipper Pizza and Chuck E Cheese etc. I guess at these point It's hard to decide. My husband and I work for a living and don't have any extras. Family and safety is our priority. I would like to work at a Hospital and be able to have have things the kids can do. This place has to have a University and living_on_a_rock pointed out U of H is in the Big Island. We leave in a small town now and there is nothing to do with the kids!! No taking fishing...no good bowling alleys, miniture golf, arcades. You know safe kids stuff. Is this possible in the Big Island? Does the Big Island have any zoo's? We were looking into some property in the Big Island and my cousing said. "Wow, for bieng HI it's pretty good!" "Is it because volcanoes/ earthquakes are a threat so much people don't want to buy there?" See my thing would be do be able to buy some land to where my children when they grow up can probably live near us and still have their privacy. I don't want to have to worry about an earthquake distroying our home and having to rebuild again and again. I read something about an earthquake that damages many homes in Hilo and was even felt in Ohau. But then I read into Ohau and think that space is limited and I won't get the fealing of living in HI. Is there good neighborhoods in the Big Island to where the kids can drive to the University? (not too far?) Does it also offer stores mentioned above by MsHell? I'm sure it even has places where you can keep a horse??? Would this be very far from the University? Sorry for all the questions but you don't know how valuable this is to us. We thank you all before hand
Connie and Frank.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieandFrank View Post
Are there any activities for kids to get involved there? Places to take them to share as familly.
I am not familiar with the other islands, but Oahu has TONS of activites, many are free too.

We have Chuck E. Cheese, Dave n Busters, Discovery Zone, Bishop Museum, Honolulu Zoo, Sea Life Park.

You could get the kids involved in sports, baseball, soccer, etc.

Plus there is always something going on every weekend, all you have to do is check the newspaper or the Midweek for info. Another source is HawaiiEventsOnline.com

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
A few thoughts about Hilo...

If you live in or near town, you have a quick drive to the University. From Puna, maybe a half hour or so, unless it's peak traffic times.

We do have a Wal-Mart, Ross and Cost-U-Less in town... and many people make the trip to Costco and K-Mart (and Target, eventually?) in Kona a reason for a family outing. It is a day-trip!

There are two small "arcades" that I know of. One in the Hilo Shopping Center in town and one beside Hilo Bay Cafe near Wal-Mart. There is one bowling alley, but I've never been there. We do have a Zoo. School/community sports are very popular family events. (What you will probably find is that life on the Big Island will lead you to seek more outdoor activity. Hilo is growing and changing, so we will probably see more indoor activities over the next few years....)

In regard to horses...you will find plenty of areas suitable for horses. There are several listings in MLS now that include small stables, etc, in various parts of the island. If you are seeking a more rural lifestyle, I would guess that the Big Island would be the better option for you, but it is important that you come visit and get a sense of what the island is really like in person. Some people come and fall in love with the island, others come and realize that it is a bit too rural for their tastes.

As for earthquakes and rebuilding...no one can really predict what the next earthquake will do, but keep in mind that there are plenty of houses here that were built long, long ago...and they are still standing strong. (Some people believe that a well-maintained old Kamaaina home is a better bet than a new construction...) My house is a 1949 house built with redwoods and fir....the last 5.0 quake rocked the house a bit, but we had no damage. (Knock on wood! )

Happy to help with any questions about the Big Island...but hopefully you will be able to visit before you make any major decisions for your family!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Red face "Moving to Hawaii

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. We love the lifestyle described about HI. A question to MSHell..I read about people some people making comments on "safe neighborhoods" Some mentioned are "anything around Diamonhead is pretty nice", "Kahala-Waialai considered the nicest area of the Island that is near town" are these two different areas?Can you comment on these areas and how far are they from the University or Hospital? Do you know of people who home school the kids? Thanks

This message is for Cynmkolohe in the Big Island. Do you guys have Chuck E Cheese there? How far would Kaihula-Kona (be from the University and major Hospital (please pardon my spelling if I misspelled it) Would you be able to keep horses there at Kaihula-Kona? How safe is it from lava flow and how are the schools there? Is it very small compared to Hilo? Is Kahiula-Kona pretty safe regarding crime? Do you know of people who home school the kids?
Thanks

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM

LIVING_ON_A ROCK...I think I remeber that you said you were working at a Hospital; have you found it possible to work and survive HI with your pay? I know you mentioned that RN's get paid good everywhere and I would hope HI is no different! But I guess I wanted your opinion since you described yourself as an average Joe. We are the same and work for a living. I wanted to get your opinion on "is it possible to make it in Hawaii" on a salary not of a millionair. Since you also have kids and work for a living I want your opinion to see if grocery, school and other things are hard to keep in Hawaii. I would be working full time as an RN and my husband would probably stay home and work from home in our own buisness. Here in AZ we are thinking of starting in our own buisness of transportation, where he takes people thru AHCCS to medical appointments. We are also thinking about starting our own business in perhaps a senior center. So if the idea works here we might consider doing that over there. My husband works as a Transportation Supervisor so we know it works we would just start our own company.Thanks for everything and we ask this with all due respect.
Thanks
Connie and Frank

Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
A question to MSHell..I read about people some people making comments on "safe neighborhoods" Some mentioned are "anything around Diamonhead is pretty nice", "Kahala-Waialae considered the nicest area of the Island that is near town" are these two different areas?C an you comment on these areas and how far are they from the University or Hospital? Do you know of people who home school the kids?
Diamond Head, Kahala and Waialae are neighborhoods right next to each other. All the neighborhoods (maybe not Palolo) in the Kahala or Hawaii Kai area of the island are quite nice. That whole area of the island is where the more expensive houses are, although you can find reasonable rents.

The The Honolulu Advertiser (http://classifieds.honoluluadvertiser.com/osform/MVCCService?osform_template=/honolulu/branding/REindex.html&publication=honolulu&category=Classif ieds - broken link) link give you a map of Oahu by areas. These are all the neighborhoods in the Kahala/Hawaii Kai area:

• Aina Haina-Kuliouou-Niu Valley
• Diamond Head
• Hawaii Kai-Portlock
• Kahala
• Kaimuki-Kapahulu
• Waialae-Kahala to Wailupe
• Wilhelmina-Maunalani-Kahala Ht

All are reasonable driving times to UH. Hawaii Kai being the furtherest out. No traffic drive would be 5 - 15 minutes, depending which neighborhood. During rush hour I'd expect 15 - 30 minutes drive time.

Drive time to the hopsital would add another 5 - 10 minutes.

Sorry, I don't know anyone who home-schools.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 25,411 times
Being a devil's advocate here, but if you want low crime and a low cost of living, come to North Dakota. RN's are in short supply. Anti-Latino prejudice is variable depending on the locale. the biggest minority group in ND is American Indians, who get the brunt of the prejudice. How Indian do you look? Summer can be hot but is mostly dry. Climate and terrain vary dramatically, mostly from east to west. ND is not flat except around Fargo. Dickinson, where I live is heavily Catholic, conservative, about 20,000 population. There is a good university here. About 30 miles to the west is the Badlands, not tall mountains but one of the most rugged terrain anywhere. Bismarck, Fargo and Grand Forks also have first class universities and are larger cities. So why am I looking into moving to Hawaii? I'm a liberal non-Christian and I hate the cold. Although to be fair, the dry climate makes the winter less uncomfortable here than in Ohio except on those rare days when it gets to -20F. And ND is in no risk of being overcrowded. A traffic jam is when you have to wait at a light.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Thank again MsHell
I was looking at some homes in these areas. It talks about Ocean Pointe region: Ewa plain. Makakilo and Kam Heights in metro area. Also saw some houses in Mililani Town and Pearl City. I've heard different things about Pearl City... "nice but slizzy" is that true. Out of these areas which are the best ones regarding good neighborhoods and keeping in mind the drive to the University. I had a recommendation by another member about Ninole where is that at? I couldn't find it in the map. Also Waimea and Hamakua Coast? I printed out the map you suggested. Thanks
Connie and Frank

Last edited by ConnieandFrank; 09-28-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thank again MsHell
I was looking at some homes in these areas. It talks about Ocean Pointe region: Ewa plain. Makakilo and Kam Heights in metro area. Also saw some houses in Mililani Town and Pearl City. I've heard different things about Pearl City... "nice but slizzy" is that true. Out of these areas which are the best ones regarding good neighborhoods and keeping in mind the drive to the University. I had a recommendation by another member about Ninole where is that at? I couldn't find it in the map. Also Waimea and Hamakua Coast? I printed out the map you suggested. Thanks
Connie and Frank
Ocean Pointe / Ewa: Newer homes, low prices (by Hawaii standards), horrible traffic. The drive from Ewa to town (UH, downtown, Waikiki) is probably the heaviest rush hour traffic on the island.

Makakilo: Mixed older and newer homes, you will be in traffic, but not as bad as Ewa. Makakilo has great ocean views as it's on the mountain, what I don't like about Makakilo is there is only one road up the mountian and it it's closed for some reason - you are SOL. They do close roads here for traffic fatalities, disasters (ie flooding, rock slide, trees across the road) and for hostage situations (it's happened).

Kam Heights: Older neighborhood, that is "in town", would be the shortest drive of all these places listed. However Kam Hts has it's good areas and bad, it's a hit-or-miss.

Mililani Town: Mililani Town and Mililani Mauka (newer side) are very nice. I believe it's a good school district. Again except traffic during rush hour, not as bad as coming from Ewa.

Pearl City: Older neighborhood, mostly older homes. Middle of the road area, not high crime area. This would be your 2nd closest to town from above choices.

Everyone likes different things, but my personal preference of these places:
#1 Mililani
#2 Pearl City
#3 Makakilo
#4 Ewa
#5 Kam Hts
#6 Ocean Pt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii