Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,490 times

Advertisements

You guys beat me to the almond milk! I buy the quart size at Target usually for 2 or 3 dollars and last us for weeks. Plus, the unflavored only has 40 calries per cup vs whole milk @ 160 calories. The only thing it doesn't work for is making pudding. Which is usually what I would end up making with our soon to be expired milk, when I was buying it!

I would say that last year I "might" have bought a total of 4 gallons of milk, mostly for baking or cooking purposes. We also use greek yogurt on cereal in lieu of milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
The only milk we really like is coconut milk, and that's for cooking curries.

I was most pleasantly surprised about the almond milk, but only tried it that one time. FYI a half gallon of it is almost $6 here in a U.S. territory. I thought I'd mention that since this topic is actually about cost of living, and not about what people like to drink.
Also rice pudding.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,788 times
Thank you, smart people.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
You guys beat me to the almond milk! I buy the quart size at Target usually for 2 or 3 dollars and last us for weeks. Plus, the unflavored only has 40 calries per cup vs whole milk @ 160 calories. The only thing it doesn't work for is making pudding. Which is usually what I would end up making with our soon to be expired milk, when I was buying it!

I would say that last year I "might" have bought a total of 4 gallons of milk, mostly for baking or cooking purposes. We also use greek yogurt on cereal in lieu of milk.
Wow, awesome to see Almond Milk is so inexpensive in HI. I'm ready to try it another time.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Almond milk, however, surprised me. Pleasant and tasty, and it doesn't sour like cow milk. Hard to find in smaller containers than 1/2 a gallon though. So I usually just make a pint or two myself, using a blender and a recipe I found online.
Sounds like something I need to try. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Our household uses several gallons of milk each week, although it's not used as a drink but added to things such as coffee, tea, cereal, etc. We should look into almond milk, perhaps. I've heard soy milk has some sort of hazards from GMO soy crops or some such, I didn't pay much attention to it at the time.

There are a lot of other economic indicators used other than the price of milk, but they may not relate to what's available in the Virgin Islands. Hmm, maybe the price of milk versus the price of rum, if it's with you folks, huh? Does the Virgin Islands still have any sugar industry? Ours is gone, now, so not a lot of sugar to make rum although we can always make okolehau from ti roots, I suppose.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 AM

hotcatz, our sugar industry was over years ago, but we've recently added a second rum distillery. The island imports molasses, I don't know from where. Cruzan Rum is the local favorite; Diageo recently started producing Captain Morgan rum here on island. Cruzan Rum is incredibly inexpensive here; a big bottle is only $12.99. That same bottle would go for about $24-ish in South Florida. I haven't checked the price of the Captain, I'll have a look next time I go shopping.

I don't ever notice people buying or drinking milk here. They probably do, I just never noticed. OTOH it never occurred to me to notice until yesterday when I began to wonder why my friends in the states, and people on this forum, always say "I can't believe you're going to move there, milk is so expensive!" We usually answer that with "so what? We don't drink it." I'll have to take a look at how many locals are buying milk next time I go shopping. I would think it would be close to spoiled here. There are many things we don't buy frequently here because of our experience with those things being spoiled or not real fresh unless flown in by a specialty grocer.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
You guys beat me to the almond milk! I buy the quart size at Target usually for 2 or 3 dollars and last us for weeks.
Wow. That means almond milk is 8 to 12 dollars a gallon. A bit more expensive than the expensive regular cow milk in the islands.

DebbyDiver, the cost of milk may be mentioned as the indicator of the cost of living because everybody buys it. It is a staple, except to you and everybody you know.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
It is a staple, except to you and everybody you know.
Hence the irony.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Ah, just dump some milk on their head, they'll give up after awhile. Trolling while wet and sticky shouldn't be much fun. This forum doesn't usually go up in flames like many of them do.

I haven't priced the rum around here, although I've seen the Captain Morgan brand at the grocery. Maybe you'll get sticker shock from rum prices instead of milk prices!

Do the Virgin Islands produce much of their own produce? We ship in a LOT of mainland produce although it comes by air so it's pretty fresh. Well, as fresh as anything harvested two weeks early and spending ten days in shipment can be. We do have a lot of farmer's markets around here which have stuff locally grown. Some of the markets are more particular about where their vendors get their produce, but some of the markets are 100% produced in Hawaii stuff. If it is going to be expensive, it may as well be good. Sometimes at the farmer's markets it is less expensive and locally grown which is the best way, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii