Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
If you go to the smaller farmer's markets that aren't frequented by tourists (and you no longer look like a tourist), the prices are significantly cheaper than the stores. If you go back regularly and get to know the vendors, then you get the deals (the extra produce added to your bag after paying).
Is there any phrase as sweet as "For you Uncle, here's what I can do..."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Are farmers markets really frequented by tourists all that much - aren't they nicely tucked away in the hotel?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Are farmers markets really frequented by tourists all that much - aren't they nicely tucked away in the hotel?
What? Farmers markets? No, they're usually in a field under a tent.

just kidding around ...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Quote:
This is an interesting thread with many facets.

With all due respects, DebbieDiver, even if you don't drink milk it seems a little odd to keep claiming you didn't know how prevalent milk was in US culture.
That's DebbyDiver. Wow, you sure like typing! Holy crap!

I opened this thread with "This is really a lighthearted post." I figured it would go two, three posts at most and I'd get my answer. I am dumbfounded at how seriously people are taking this!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Sorry, maybe I was getting your named confused with another Debbie I know. As for writing a lot and this post getting out of control, it's the internet, what did you expect.

whtviper1 wrote: "Are farmers markets really frequented by tourists all that much?"

On Kaua'i they are, especially Kapa'a and Hanalei. And why not, they're a great way to get an authentic taste of Hawaii. But the influx of tourists is not without consequence: in Kapa'a, the prices closer to the parking lot are noticeably higher.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
On Kaua'i they are, especially Kapa'a and Hanalei. And why not, they're a great way to get an authentic taste of Hawaii. But the influx of tourists is not without consequence: in Kapa'a, the prices closer to the parking lot are noticeably higher.
I agree and Kaua'i has some WONDERFUL Farmer's Markets! I really like the one up past Hanalei on Tuesdays!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I was getting your named confused with another Debbie I know.
No sweat.

We've been reading about the Hilo farmer's market as we will be moving to that side of the island. We're really looking forward to being regular customers; although there's no doubt they market the place to cruise ship passengers.

Just like at our farmer's market on this island, we'll figure out which vendors have the best stuff and best prices.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
Just like at our farmer's market on this island, we'll figure out which vendors have the best stuff and best prices.
I love shopping at farmers markets, and do a substantial part of my food shopping at them. There are several farmers markets in Hilo, and several more within a short drive. Each has a different flavor and feel. The one you mentioned is the biggest, with the most variety, and yes, it is the most touristy, and the most crowded. It's open Wednesday and Saturday. The Mamo Street Market is smaller, and open every day. The Kinoole Market in South Hilo is less touristy, more local farmers, open Saturdays.

Then a short drive away are small markets at Keaau, Pahoa, Hilo Coffee Mill, etc. Each is interesting in its own way, and each has specific vendors I've come to look forward to dealing with. Overall I prefer the smaller markets because they tend to be local growers. At the larger markets you find more vendors selling imported produce, and a few are less than forthcoming about that. Don't assume that what you see is local produce, if that is what you're looking for. I've learned to look under the tables and in back of the booths for boxes and crates marked "Pineapples from Costa Rica," "Mangoes from Mexico," or whatever.

Following is a list of farmers markets for the whole island. Sometimes things change, so if you're traveling to a new one it's a good idea to check ahead to verify location and hours, etc. For instance the Volcano market actually starts at 6am on Sunday mornings (not 7 as listed), is very popular with locals, and is already starting to wind down by 8:30.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/add/farmers-m...g%20Island.pdf

Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Fun stuff, thanks OpenD! We will definitely have the time and inclination to be exploring the entire island and will spend time (and $) at each one of them.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Maybe it's mainlanders who are crazy for milk They are moving there, and most concerned about it.

When I first moved to Korea....I recall some of my students NOT liking the idea of milk, cheese, etc. They thought it was a very 'western' thing to do. Why would anyone want to eat or drink or process the milk of a cow?

Of course for younger Asians, they are into pizza, and some other cheese products. But, most Pacific Asian foods are not very milk or cheese-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii