Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 72,419 times

Advertisements

I lived in Oahu as a child, specifically Honolulu in the 1960's. We lived on Puu Makai street - just up Wanaka off Salt Lake Road. We had many friends up and down the block and one day my mother got a frantic phone call from one of our neighbors. She was calling to say her husband had gone into the bathroom 2 hours earlier and not come out. My dad went to the house and sure enough, the woman's husband had gone into the bathroom in the morning and died (poor buggah) on the toilet. He never locked the door - it was just him and his wife in the house - but my dad discovered that the door was not only locked it was jammed shut - tight. It took my dad and another male neighbor to break the door down to get to him. When they found the man, he was already gone. Now, back in the day, people - we didn't lock our doors in the neighborhood, we left our windows open so the trades could come in - it was just like that. My dad went with the women to the funeral parlor and when they returned to the house - every damn door and window was locked up tight. They had to call a locksmith to come and take the lock off the front door of the house and it took a my dad's crowbar to wrench the windows open. All the doors were unlocked and windows had been left open when they left to go to the funeral parlor. My dad saw a lot of bad stuff growing up and was pretty level headed and not superstitious at all but I never saw my dad so shook up before or since. It really rattled him. You could think, well the humidity swelled up the wood and made the doors and windows stick - but that doesn't explain the fact that the locks were locked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Thanksiving Morning 1967

When I lived in Honolulu as a child, my favorite neighbor and my mom's best friend was a kumu hula named Barbara who lived across the street from us. Her father and mother lived with her. Barbara was divorced. I was especially fond of her father. He was like a grandpa to me since my maternal grandpa was dead and my paternal grandparents lived in Arkansas. Anyway, my kupuna kane had three black cocker spaniels that I played with all the time. My hawaiian grandpa fed his dogs cooked food and he always added table scraps to their kibble and cooked it up for them on the stove in the backyard. Any stray dog that happened by got a good meal, too. He loved animals. That big old pot fed a lot of dogs. He was a good man and I loved him so much. On Thansgiving morning in 1967 I was sitting around the lanai with my mom, dad and brother waiting for our turkey to finish cooking when all of a sudden we heard this terrible sound coming up from the neighborhood west of us and from across the street. Wanaka street ran right next to us on Puu Makai and the row of houses on Wanaka ended in back in this hilly area down to the houses in the neighborhood below. The sound kept building up and we realized it was dogs starting to howl and the sound was coming echoing up the slope. Sound can travel really weird sometimes. Next thing we know, we see Barbara "Bobby" come running out of her house screaming and crying. My parents went to see what was going on and found out Bobby's dad, my hawaiian grandpa, had passed away in his chair. The spaniels had gone under the house and you could hear them making this horrible, yelping/howling sound. It went on like that for the longest time. Lots of people on our block came out of their houses to stand on the sidewalk and street to see what was going on because it sounded so awful. I'll never forget that day for as long as I live. A lot of people from the block came to his funeral. When we went to the burial site, there was a white poi dog that kept pacing back and forth behind a row of gravestones about 50 years away from where the chairs and everything was set up for his graveside service. Some of the men went to try to shoo the dog away because he was upsetting the women, but they couldn't get anywhere near him because he would dart behind the graves as soon as they got close. They finally gave up after a few minutes and the dog sat on the graves or paced around some of the headstones for the entire service. When it was time to leave, he went behind a row of stones and just up and disappeared and no one saw where he went. It was the talk of the neighborhood for months.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Aunty,
Those are some great stories!!!! Mahalo nui loa for the ka'ao.

Aloha

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times
[
Quote:
quote=Auntyv;1684184]When I lived in Honolulu as a child, my favorite neighbor and my mom's best friend was a kumu hula named Barbara
whoa! spooky! by the way, auntyv, what was kumu hula barbara's last name? i was wondering because i might know her.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 10-08-2007 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: forgot sentence

Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Oh, wow - I don't remember -it was so long ago. I was a 8 and I only knew adults by their first names and where they lived or who their kids were.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM

I was very interested to see the stories on the Pali Lookout. I can remember being told stories about not crossing the Pali with pork also - and that's been 40 years ago! I was told if it happened around midnight and old kahuna with white hair would wave you over to the side of the road and when you got out to talk to him he would be gone. And your car would stall out until you made a offering at the side of the road and supposedly got rid of all your pork. Bummer if you'd just come from the market. I saw a special about the building of the H1 and H3 highways a few years ago on public broadcasting and they actually talk about construction workers getting scared and walking off the job during construction cause they encountered ghostly figures while the tunnels were being built. I went to Molokai for the first time in 2005 and driving over to the east side towards Halawa Valley I had a little bit of chicken skin driving through this area where there were lots of trees very close to the road. I think there are certain places in Hawaii where you kinda know you shouldn't be but you don't know that until you get there. Anyway, I just felt very uncomfortable like I was being watched in this particular area and once I was through the feeling went away and I had a nice visit to the little bay that is at the end of this world-class steep, winding twisting one-lane road. And I kid you not, a little brown poi dog followed me from the parking area down to the beach. I fed him some of my sandwich - made me feel better he was there. I never heard any stories about specific buildings that were haunted but people used to tell us they thought there were burial sites under some of the houses where we lived. Who knows.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Had some local guys working for me on a project in Kapolei, they lived in Kailua, Waimanalo, absolutely would not drive the H3, too many stories of disturbed Heiau's. My place in Nuuanu would sometimes get very windy at night with the wind coming down the valley from the Koolaus. The aluminum railings on the lanai would make a sound kind of like a person moaning or screaming when the wind would really start gusting through them. Being right across from the graveyard, it made for a few sleepless nights.

Aloha

Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times
i have a house in kapolei and one in kailua. travel the h3 quite frequently. haven't had any sightings or feelings. however, isn't there history that talks about king kamehameha I and his battles regarding the pali? lots of warriors died? also, we travel to sam's club in honolulu for bulk purchases. come to think of it, i have never bought pork from there and brought it back to kailua so wouldn't be able to tell if the legend is fact or fiction.

auntyv, regarding kumu hula, barbara, i was just wondering because i danced hula from age 6 through high school. my kumu were joan lindsey and kaha'i topolinski.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 AM

That is all I remember is that my mom called her barbara or bobby. My mother also had a sister named bobby so I may have the two mixed up in my memory. It was a very long time ago - Gawd, I'm getting old.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 AM

I guess I'm missing the islands. Once you've lived there I don't think you every get Hawaii out of your heart, regardless of where you are originally from. I was just interested in seeing what other people's stories about Hawaii were. I always thought burials took place near the ocean, but I had someone tell me in Kauai that sometimes bones were moved into the more mountainous areas - that might account for the talk about homes or places having weird things happen if they were constructed over a burial place. Ya just never know. Do they still do the chicken skin tours in Hawaii? I've heard about them but never went on one. I've also heard about some places up near the volcano on the BIg Island that are supposedly haunted - some are in Bedand Breakfast places - saw something about it on the travel channel. I've also heard about the night marchers and stories about seeing a line of torch lights descending down the slopes in Waipio Valley late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii