Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times

Advertisements

aloha fro kailua, o'ahu:

i live app. 1 1/2 blocks from the beach. there are many larger lots closer to the beach. my lot is just under 13000sft. that's just right for the dogs to run around in the front and back. the problem i have with living here is the damage that the salt air does to the home. also, it is very dry right now and the water bill is atrocious.

just because we have a hollow tile wall surrounding our property, doesn't mean we don't know our neighbors. most of our neighbors have lived here 50 plus years. we all know eachother.

also, it is very unique to the island life style that multigenerational families live together. children have now moved back to their childhood homes to care for ailing parents. this includes locals as well as local haole alike.

kailua includes many communities: aikahi, lani kai and enchanted lake for example. if you have lots of kala and enjoy the beach, these communities would be right for you. oh, i forgot. kayaking, windsurfing and canoe paddling, too.

as several of you know, i am trying to purchase a lot up at mauna loa estates, volcano, big island, hawaii. the lushness and cool elevation is what i am looking forward to. yes there is vog and i have allergies. but, i have allergies here as well. so to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
We have seriously considered a possible move to Leilani Estates. We live in town now and are almost done with a renovation of an older home, but as the population grows and our neighbors are beginning to subdivide the lots around us, we are exploring options and Leilani is at the top of the list. I was just there this afternoon to put up a sign...I always take my time in Leilani and drive a few side streets to keep up with where new homes are being built. It is very peaceful and there are many homes that are custom designed and beautifully landscaped. We often call Leilani "Puna's Premier Subdivision"--IMO, the title is well-deserved.

There are issues to consider...financing/lava zone, whether you can live with the CC&Rs and if you are ok with being a longer distance from Hilo (Pahoa is close, but it's a bit of a commute to Hilo-town).

Since the question is "if money did not matter at all", I guess I'd have to say that we would want to purchase 3 adjacent lots on the side with an ocean view and build our dream home...it will have a large lanai overlooking the ocean, have two separate large offices, a recording studio and an attached screened yoga room with a jacuzzi!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM

144 posts, read 735,769 times
My second choice would be a few acres in Waimea (Kamuela) on the Big Island. Nice and cool up there and there's a KTA for groceries.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 AM

7 posts, read 140,057 times
What is also - among all the other great choices - a wonderful place:

Upcountry Maui

It is delightfully lush and cool, there are plenty of tall, mature and colorful trees, stunning views of the coastline below, just so incredibly enchanting!

I would live on a five acre (or more) parcel in Olinda with a good ocean view and a Balinese style home right in the middle of it.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandclear View Post
If you had all the money you would ever need, where would you move to, what island, what town, what subdivision and why?
tendency of the rich to live below their means.
at the grand, next to the zoo, wakaiki.
lots of places to skate.
(rollerblade)
easy bus ride to base of diamondhead where they snorkel in the bay.
easy reach to the smogasboard.
it just keeps getting better and better huh?
stephen s
san diego

Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 AM

120 posts, read 1,167,352 times
The Four Seasons presidential suite, Maui HI

Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandclear View Post
What is also - among all the other great choices - a wonderful place:

Upcountry Maui

It is delightfully lush and cool, there are plenty of tall, mature and colorful trees, stunning views of the coastline below, just so incredibly enchanting!

I would live on a five acre (or more) parcel in Olinda with a good ocean view and a Balinese style home right in the middle of it.
A Balinese style house would be awesome.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
lol, that's a good one...lol!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM

46 posts, read 1,100,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
You can have the presidential sweet, I will take the Maile Suite... it is the entire top floor of the Four Seasons, 4,000 square feet.... purrr....

Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
Hanalei, on Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii