Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 AM

40 posts, read 82,177 times

Advertisements

Hi

I currently living in Alaska. I am heading down to Arizona and I thought that I would take a detour and visit Hawaii on the way down. My plan is to put my car on a barge in Anchorage, fly out the next day to Hawaii. Spend 7-10 days in Hawaii and then fly onto Arizona. By the time I get to Arizona, my car should be almost there. Plus the money that I would need to spend on a rental car in Arizona for 2 wks, I can spend on a trip to Hawaii.

I have visit Hawaii several times and always had a great time. First time was to Oahu and Big Island. Second time was Big Island and Kauai. I haven't been to Hawaii in over 10 years. I just recently got over the fear of flying.

Now, I am at a lost on which island to do. I would like to go back to Oahu since I missed some things there and I won't need a car for the whole week. Is there enough things to do on Oahu for a week? I want to see Pearl Harbor, Pineapple plantation, Polynesean Cultural Center, Diamond Head, Bishop museum, snorkeling and possibly horseback riding. Then fly to either Maui or the Big Island for a couple days.

Right now, I got a deal for airfare and hotel from Anchorage to Oahu and Oahu to Portland for about $1000 for 1 person. Maui or Big Island would add about 400-500 extra. I am debating if I should just visit one island or go to 2.

Thanks for any help. Does anyone know of reasonable priced and safe hotels in Oahu, Maui or Big Island.

Thanks
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountryski View Post
Is there enough things to do on Oahu for a week?

Thanks for any help. Does anyone know of reasonable priced and safe hotels in Oahu, Maui or Big Island.

Thanks
Jennifer
Yes, plenty to do in Oahu for 1 week.

What is your budget for a reasonable priced hotel?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM

40 posts, read 82,177 times
Hi

I am looking at about $75-85 night.

thanks

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountryski View Post
Hi

I am looking at about $75-85 night.

thanks
I think you'll need to stay at a hostel at that rate in Oahu.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Maile Sky Court
Honolulu Hawaii Hotel on Waikiki Beach - Maile Sky Court

AQUA Island Colony
Island Colony Hotel, Waikiki, Honolulu | Aqua Hotels and Resorts

Castle Hokele Suites Waikiki
Hokele Suites Waikiki | A Waikiki Hotel | Castle Resorts

The prices($79 - $86 per night) that I found were booking through All About Travel
Hope this helps!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Plenty on Oahu to do for a week. Heck, plenty to do for a month for that matter.

Don't forget to visit the Iolani Palace if you haven't already. It's well worth it. There are guided tours or self-guided tours. You can even walk there from Waikiki so no car needed.

Regarding a hotel, I normally recommend Waikiki Hawaii (HI) Condo Rentals | Vacation | Beach | Luxury

You can rent a privately owned city-view, fully remodeled condo for $99/night (plus a cleaning fee). Ocean view units start a little higher than that. But the building and the units are probably the best value in Waikiki in my opinion.

Downside is that they don't have many rooms at the $99 rate so availability is limited. Also, while I personally like the location (right next to Hilton Hawaiian Village) it is a little distance to the main strip of Waikiki shopping/stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii