Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just could not pass it by a second time...

A little known fact about Hawai'i is that half of its total land area is above 2,000' altitude, and up where I live near 4,000' it frequently gets down in the 40s at night during the winter.

The coldest temperature ever recorded in Hawai'i was 12F at the top of Mauna Kea.
Yes, but at sea-level, Hawaii never gets this cold. Miami (obviously no mountains) gets colder than that at sea level! Also, SoFlori has recorded frost and even snow flurries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Never been to Florida, always go to Hawaii. People are always telling me to save money and go to Florida that it's just like Hawaii, on and on ad nauseam but we still end up in Hawaii.

On one of our trips we took my daughters friend with and she loved Hawaii. The next year she went to Florida. She called us the next day and when we asked her, is it "just like Hawaii"? should we come there? She answered a big loud "NOOOO it's not Hawaii!" we just laughed so hard. She said it was better than our frozen northland but went on to tell stories of all the alligators, dangerous bugs, beaches that were cold, and said she would never go back. She was expecting Hawaii and it was a rude awakening for her. Course she was just in 7th grade.
I think you should go sometime. It's always awesome to visit a new place, and Florida is very pretty. The beaches and beauty aren't as good as Hawaii, but they're pretty close.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,050,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
SoFlori has recorded frost and even snow flurries!
Yup. In 1977.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM

22 posts, read 80,018 times
Hawaiian islands are a nice place to visit but I would never live there Orlando is much more fun and I don't have to fly in a plane to get away if I so choose to go somewhere

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortendnight View Post
Hawaiian islands are a nice place to visit but I would never live there Orlando is much more fun and I don't have to fly in a plane to get away if I so choose to go somewhere
Orlando? Sounds like you are referring to the fun of Disneyland? A manufactured fake town people dressed up singing songs? While overeating on overpriced hot dogs and supersized soft drinks?

I think Florida has a lot to offer, but Disneyland fanatics have always struck me as the kind of people who have no idea what this world and this planet have to offer.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,808,755 times
Another great thing about living in Hawaii is that many of us are completely satisfied if people don't want to move here. Please come visit, feel welcomed, spend your money, enjoy what we have to offer for entertainment and scenery and culture, and then go home happy.

Unless, that is, a Hawaii person is trying to sell a house. Then we like newcomers moving here who want to buy real estate, especially if it is the place we have for sale.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,050,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Orlando? Sounds like you are referring to the fun of Disneyland? A manufactured fake town people dressed up singing songs? While overeating on overpriced hot dogs and supersized soft drinks?

I think Florida has a lot to offer, but Disneyland fanatics have always struck me as the kind of people who have no idea what this world and this planet have to offer.
Actually, Disney World is in Lake Buena Vista. Orlando is a horrid place. It has the traffic and congestion of Miami, but is ten degrees hotter and doesn't have beaches. The only thing it has going for it is that real estate is so cheap that anyone can afford to live there. They just don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Another great thing about living in Hawaii is that many of us are completely satisfied if people don't want to move here. Please come visit, feel welcomed, spend your money, enjoy what we have to offer for entertainment and scenery and culture, and then go home happy.
Well said!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think you should go sometime. It's always awesome to visit a new place, and Florida is very pretty. The beaches and beauty aren't as good as Hawaii, but they're pretty close.
Sometimes I think I would like to visit Florida, but when I add up the costs it's just as much as Hawaii. The accommodations seem to cost more in FL than HI the way we do it. True it would be a faster flight but after 30 plus years of going to Hawaii it would be like starting over finding nice areas, nice beaches, restaurants, etc. That's a lot of work

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The accommodations seem to cost more in FL than HI the way we do it.
You are looking at the wrong places. In Florida, cheaper hotels, cheaper rental cars, cheaper groceries, cheaper restaurants, cheaper gas, cheaper airfare, etc, etc.....Florida is a very economical place to vacation - way cheaper than Hawaii.

Here is a example per orbitz - lets try chicago to fort lauderdale and chicago to hilo (the cheapest place in hawaii I could think of)

Dates, 12/4 to 12/11 for advance purchase.

Car, airfare, hotel - to Fort Lauderdale, $420 person

Same thing to Hilo, $970 person.

Last edited by whtviper1; 11-06-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
But how do I know I will like that hotel, that's the problems that usually stops me. And we usually stay 15 - 30 days and get better rates at the homes we rent. I don't like hotels anymore, prefer homes. The homes in FL that I have researched end up costing more. Then how do I know what kind of neighborhood to look for in FL? I haven't a clue, it's so much work. But after so many decades in Hawaii I know where I like.

Plus how am I going to get my Boot's & Kimo's pancakes in FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii