U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM

349 posts, read 349,342 times

Advertisements

Are there many opportunities for IT in Hawaii or not so much? If so, which city and/or island would be best for IT people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:19 PM

393 posts, read 329,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Are there many opportunities for IT in Hawaii or not so much? If so, which city and/or island would be best for IT people?
Honolulu have some IT opportunities.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM

5,432 posts, read 4,559,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Hardly any on the islands except for Oahu. In Oahu - I don't think I'd say many - but you do have major companies like Hawaiian Telcom, Hawaiian Air, HMSA, State/Local Government, etc IBM/Oracle also have offices here. My company - which shall remain nameless has about 200 IT people - the hotels mostly outsource. Expect a big cut in pay compared to places like SF or Seattle.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

6,001 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Most of the really computer techie folks I know tele-commute to their mainland jobs. Don't think that would work for hands on hardware folks, though.

I'd say look on Oahu unless you are specialized enough that someplace such as the observatories on Mauna Kea would want you.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM

3,794 posts, read 4,924,215 times
The military may have something but they've stopped paying for relocation for civilians. Try the USAJOBS website.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The military may have something but they've stopped paying for relocation for civilians. Try the USAJOBS website.
You can also use Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com which crawls thru dozens of job search engines and put all the jobs in one place - it does pick up usajobs

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM

9,260 posts, read 5,082,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hardly any on the islands except for Oahu. In Oahu - I don't think I'd say many - but you do have major companies like Hawaiian Telcom, Hawaiian Air, HMSA, State/Local Government, etc IBM/Oracle also have offices here. My company - which shall remain nameless has about 200 IT people - the hotels mostly outsource. Expect a big cut in pay compared to places like SF or Seattle.
The state NEEDS some IT people, I worked for them for 6 years and have never seen such an antiquated system.... 8 years ago they were still doing almost everthing on typewriters. Payroll is computed by hand, and sent in via a written form... each dept does there own.. it's not centralized.

/deep breath

Most of the banks have large IT staff, have a tendency to spend a lot of money in that area.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The state NEEDS some IT people, I worked for them for 6 years and have never seen such an antiquated system.... 8 years ago they were still doing almost everthing on typewriters. Payroll is computed by hand, and sent in via a written form... each dept does there own.. it's not centralized.

/deep breath

Most of the banks have large IT staff, have a tendency to spend a lot of money in that area.
I agree - the state needs IT people and solutions. But, they aren't willing to pay for it. The state pays low wages - so it can't attract the talent.

The irony is that they are willing to use consultants at a higher cost than just hiring people - even the big firms on the mainland - but the contracts are so one-sided to the state many consulting companies won't do business with the State of Hawaii - especially DAGS, Department of Accounting and General Services.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM

9,260 posts, read 5,082,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I agree - the state needs IT people and solutions. But, they aren't willing to pay for it. The state pays low wages - so it can't attract the talent.

The irony is that they are willing to use consultants at a higher cost than just hiring people - even the big firms on the mainland - but the contracts are so one-sided to the state many consulting companies won't do business with the State of Hawaii - especially DAGS, Department of Accounting and General Services.
Wish I could argue.... but can't. The appointed positions pay well, but you stay for 8 years max.

If you can live on there regular pay scale (somehow), their benefits package is unsurpassed.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 AM

4,134 posts, read 3,277,370 times
The IT department at Maui County themselves say that they have a high turnover rate because they pay such low wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii