Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:22 PM

99 posts, read 465,744 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to any other islands but I have read extensively about them all. So of the 6 inhabited ones, which is your favorite? Mine is Oahu because it has something for everyone: urban living, beaches, jobs, and plenty of starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,538,699 times
I went goat hunting and opihi picking on Kahoolawe back in 1976. Was totally against the law to be there, military was still using it for target practice, but it was around Christmas time, and with all the luaus that would be coming up, opihi was of utmost importance, and the ones you could get off Kahoolawe were HUGE!!! Anyways, it's my favorite island, views looking back at Maui are unreal, and it's so quiet. Absolute shame what the military did to it, many areas will probably never recover due to the lack of soil. Second choice is Molokai, but you'ld better have a real overdose of the Aloha spirit if you want to make it over there.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,285,503 times
Jung--I once heard someone talking about what happens if the water table under an island gets "pierced". I've tried to find info on that, but wonder if that rings any bells for you regarding Kahoolawe...?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Kolohenui,
I'm sure Rocco will split this off, but here goes. When the big sugar cane outfits got started over here, Alexander, Baldwin, Cameron and Atherton, they needed fuel for the refineries, so they started cutting down Koa trees in Ulupalakua, Kaupo, all the way down to Kihei. They also used the Koa to make railroad ties. Kihei at that time had many swamplands, because upcountry rained every day, and the runoff ended up in the flatlands of Kihei. You can still see some swampland by Safeway in Kihei. Kahoolawe got rainfall, and was fairly green. As the cutting of trees upcountry increased, the rainfall declined. A cattle rancher gets started over there, has limited success, WW2 breaks out, military takes over the Island, uses it for target practice. Every shell that hits the island breaks up the topsoil a little bit more, with any rainfall the topsoil runs off into the ocean. Insult to injury, goats are introduced to the island, and they eat everything down to the roots. So combine the shelling and the goats, you're left with hardpan all over the island. It's beneath the topsoil, won't really hold water, and you can'y really plant anything on it. I can see Kahoolawe from my place, they have been trying to plant trees over there on the highest point, don't know how it's working out. When I tended bar at Keawekapu Beach in the late 70's, military would drop flares over the island as they were shelling/bombing it, would make the windows rattle, and scare the kukai out of the tourists. Believe they hit Makenna and Maalaea a few times.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-22-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I went goat hunting and opihi picking on Kahoolawe back in 1976. Was totally against the law to be there, military was still using it for target practice, but it was around Christmas time, and with all the luaus that would be coming up, opihi was of utmost importance, and the ones you could get off Kahoolawe were HUGE!!! Anyways, it's my favorite island, views looking back at Maui are unreal, and it's so quiet. Absolute shame what the military did to it, many areas will probably never recover due to the lack of soil. Second choice is Molokai, but you'ld better have a real overdose of the Aloha spirit if you want to make it over there.

Aloha and okolemaluna
interesting post.

Last edited by tiffan28; 09-22-2007 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-22-2007, 02:56 AM

Funny thing is we weren't the only people on the island, there were a few other boats sittiing off Obaki Bay and Smugglers Cove, I would suspect they were up to the same kolohe stuff as we were. And the opihi, sliced thin and pounded to tenderize, with some garlic and olive oil on the BBQ for a minute or so, absolutely onolicious and broke da mouth. The good old days!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is we weren't the only people on the island, there were a few other boats sittiing off Obaki Bay and Smugglers Cove, I would suspect they were up to the same kolohe stuff as we were. And the opihi, sliced thin and pounded to tenderize, with some garlic and olive oil on the BBQ for a minute or so, absolutely onolicious and broke da mouth. The good old days!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna
that sounds like fun!! I'm so envious. I'll be lucky if I get to Maui and the Big Island. BTW, everyone I know (from the mainland) who has visited Hawaii says Maui is their favorite island.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:03 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,285,503 times
Quote:
And the opihi, sliced thin and pounded to tenderize, with some garlic and olive oil on the BBQ for a minute or so, absolutely onolicious and broke da mouth. The good old days!!!!
That sounds so good!!! I've only eaten opihi a couple of times--once straight off the rock--but I like your recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffan28 View Post
I haven't been to any other islands but I have read extensively about them all. So of the 6 inhabited ones, which is your favorite? Mine is Oahu because it has something for everyone: urban living, beaches, jobs, and plenty of starbucks.
Having a hard time answering this question! I really like Kauai and Molokai for the scenic beauty and slow pace you can experience when visiting, but I don't think I would want to live on either Island at this point in my life. In my mind, Maui is the island for tourists. I love Oahu for so many reasons...but the more I think about it, as far as a place to live, I think I have to choose the Big Island.

Why? Well...there are several Starbucks here, so no worries about that. And in addition, there are quite a few local coffee shops that sell primarily Hawaii products. We have some of the world's most beautiful beaches, and I also like the space...a weekend drive of a few hours either over Saddle road or up the Hamakua coast. And there is still plenty of "old Hawaii" to be found here. That really means a lot to me....I hope we are wise enough to insist that, in a right balance with growth, there are places we want preserved!

I was just researching a deed for a parcel of land on the Hamakua coast. The deed includes road easements for the Hakalau Sugar Plantation. At the end of the dirt road that fronts this property is an old bridge that has maybe only a few years use left in it...but walking across it, there is a sense of connection to the history of the land. And there is something about knowing that my friend's mother is still living in Waipio Valley and if he wants to visit her, he goes by canoe.

A couple of qualifications: what makes life on the Big Island nice is when you are able to live here and make enjoying the beauty of the Kona/Kohala coast as part of your normal routine. I drive there often from Hilo, so I get the best of both sides of the island. Also, having the option of travel to Oahu is important. I don't go as often as I wish I could. It is always nice to spend some time in the city for shopping and night-life, but after a few days, coming home is always great.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:38 PM

You all have some interesting stories. I guess that is a difficult question to answer. The more exposure I get the "old" Hawaii culture the more fascinated I am, so I do hope to get to the Big Island and Molokai--couldn't live there though for fear of all the scorpions or tarantuals (can't remember which one of the deadly spiders are over there) and other critters that lurk in the lush beauty of untainted paradise.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM

Speaking of spiders, check out this horror story:

I Fought the Law: Hawaii Trip: The Disaster Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: