Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:36 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,997,885 times

Advertisements

Ok, one more post from me and then I’ll go away for awhile.

I’ve received numerous PMs in the past several days from both those who are fed up with what’s happening in the numerous threads about “hating” that have gone on the past several months and also from those who seem to have an agenda for divisiveness when it comes to different groups of people who inhabit the Islands and who somehow want to promote such discord and claim they should have that right.

I’m getting irritated at trying to mediate these types of disagreements and frankly, am getting tired of certain themes which take place inside certain threads on this forum. The Haole hate thread was closed awhile ago and if the current thread titled “Things you HATE about Hawaii... just to be fair,” continues to have posts which discuss “hating” anything to do with groups of people, it will be closed also.

I’m am hereby declaring a moratorium on any discussion which has to do with not only how Haoles are perceived and/or treated but that goes for any group of people living on the Islands. There are plenty of discussions left on the forum that can be used as a reference for any newly posed questions on how different groups are treated. I don’t think we need to keep bringing it up over and over again. So let’s give it a rest for awhile. We can try it again at a later date but for right now, don’t be surprised or upset when such posts are deleted. I realize it’s an integral part of living on the Islands but it’s been beaten to death lately.

If I miss any new post from a poster inquiring about such things, please refer them to the old threads which have had discussions going on about the particular topic.

Thanks.

--’rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,539,557 times
Amen to that brother! But can I still swear in Hawaiian, a little knowledge is a terrible thing to waste.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 AM

*tsk tsk*

Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM

99 posts, read 465,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post

I’ve received numerous PMs in the past several days from both those who are fed up with what’s happening in the numerous threads about “hating” that have gone on the past several months and also from those who seem to have an agenda for divisiveness when it comes to different groups of people who inhabit the Islands and who somehow want to promote such discord and claim they should have that right.

I’m getting irritated at trying to mediate these types of disagreements and frankly, am getting tired of certain themes which take place inside certain threads on this forum. The Haole hate thread was closed awhile ago and if the current thread titled “Things you HATE about Hawaii... just to be fair,” continues to have posts which discuss “hating” anything to do with groups of people, it will be closed also.

I’m am hereby declaring a moratorium on any discussion which has to do with not only how Haoles are perceived and/or treated but that goes for any group of people living on the Islands. There are plenty of discussions left on the forum that can be used as a reference for any newly posed questions on how different groups are treated. I don’t think we need to keep bringing it up over and over again. So let’s give it a rest for awhile. We can try it again at a later date but for right now, don’t be surprised or upset when such posts are deleted. I realize it’s an integral part of living on the Islands but it’s been beaten to death lately.

If I miss any new post from a poster inquiring about such things, please refer them to the old threads which have had discussions going on about the particular topic.

Thanks.

--’rocco
Aloha forever....thank you.!!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 AM

118 posts, read 670,159 times
Thank you! I was going to suggest Trauma Therapy for all of us if this nonsense kept up. We all have & will continue to suffer our own personal injustices throughout our lives in many forms - it's part of being human on this planet. Let's just try practicing some civility a little more often instead of using these forums as a petty insult gallery. God loves the peace-maker! Thanks 'rocco.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 AM

376 posts, read 486,910 times
It would be great if this type of a sticky could be added to the Arizona forums. I am so sick of hearing about illegal this and Mexican that. The racism and intolerance turns me off and makes me sick. Not one day goes by without some form of hate post going on in the Phoenix area. As my mom would say--basta!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,228,595 times
Quote:

Thanks.

--’rocco
Instead of imposing a moratorium on the discussion of controversial issues in Hawai'i and deleting the posts, perhaps such topics can be moved to the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum?

As for "beaten to death" topics and stickies, a general "Moving/Relocating to Hawai'i" sticky is probably long overdue.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 PM

312 posts, read 1,635,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
... a general "Moving/Relocating to Hawai'i" sticky is probably long overdue.
Agree!

I do think it's worth discussing the pro's and con's of living in Hawaii, when asked. The haole issue is a challenge for many that move from the Mainland. What we need is for these sensitive topics to be discussed in a mature way and not get out of hand.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Yes! That's a definite option. I should have mentioned that. It was difficult to do once the threads turned into a lot of personal attacks and such but if we can catch them in the bud, I'll try to move them into the P and OC Forum. Thanks, Jonah.

Oh, and as far as having a "sticky" just for moving and relocating to Hawaii, I think that such a thread would just become too narrow and would become too wandering and not cohesive.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-27-2007 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,228,595 times
Quote:
Oh, and as far as having a "sticky" just for moving and relocating to Hawaii, I think that such a thread would just become too narrow and would become too wandering and not cohesive.

It doesn't have to be comprehensive. Just something that mentions a few general resources, like Toni Polancy's "So You Want to Live in Hawai'l," Skip Thomsen's "Affordable Paradise," and the Honolulu Advertiser's "Living in Paradise" series, etc. to get folks started....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii