Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,406,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What do the last two lines of the table say for full time workers? Certainly much more than 32K
Ah yes you're right, $46k for men and $36k for women. But the median annual salary is still only $31k because so many people are part time

BTW I'd like to point out that full time includes people working 80 hours a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,741,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Ah yes you're right, $46k for men and $36k for women. But the median annual salary is still only $31k because so many people are part time

BTW I'd like to point out that full time includes people working 80 hours a week!
Well - however we slice and dice it - more people leave Hawaii than come into to Hawaii. Think Bay Area/New York cost of living - and then take your salary down by 30% or more from those places or more is probably typical. Wink is actually a good example. I really wish Wink had alternatives in Maui but don't see it.

I've said all along I'm at a 50% cut from the mainland but do well by Hawaii standards.

Some make it here - most do not - it is what it is. I doubt anything on this forum makes much of a difference.

Despite the controversity - if you come here with $15/hr expectations (twice min wage by the way) - it isn't a real good way to live, especially in Oahu. I'll point you to train wreck of a local post if interested.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokauai View Post
How much are some of you paying for car insurance ? TY
You really need to call an agent - there are to many variances, age, driving history, type of car, garaged, single/married, etc - just all of us telling you what we pay won't help you.

I pay the same rate in Honolulu that I did in Portland if that helps.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM

My insurance is about $60/month. I'm 27 and drive a 1999 Jeep Cherokee

Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
My insurance is about $60/month. I'm 27 and drive a 1999 Jeep Cherokee
That seems like a lot for a 13 year old car, even for someone 27 - you don't collision on a car that old.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That seems like a lot for a 13 year old car, even for someone 27 - you don't collision on a car that old.
I have full coverage with a $500 deductible. I need that because if I wreck it I can't afford another car

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM

This site suggests Hawaii is ranked #17 in auto insurance premiums - finally something we aren't number 1.

Car insurance rates | Insure.com

Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM

431 posts, read 935,502 times
Once again, it all boils down to what one is willing to endure on a personal basis.
I got a snippy little message on the "reputation" part of my profile that lightly smacked me for mentioning that "I am not into delusional thinking." Well, I'm not. Contrary to the message-leaver's opinion, it's not a "high horse" thing at all, just a statement of fact. Feet firmly planted, thank you, and always ready to shift gears if I miscalculate. It's how I roll. Sorry if your feathers were ruffled or I ticked a nerve.
There are some here who may be fine with no kitchens, cucarachas dancing throughout their abodes, no cable, no internet, and never having enough kala to travel. That ain't me, period.
I lived through extremely lean times years ago, raising kids on my own. This wasn't being unable to afford going out to eat or not being able to pay a cable or internet bill. We're talking eviction-notice-on-the-apartment-door stuff. Spare me the whining about taking a bus over owning a car. I had the option of neither.
I worked my butt off to get to a life of, if not luxury, at the very least comfort. Fast forward to Hawaii.
When we moved here I imagined there would be some alteration in how we lived, of course, but frankly I was not willing to drop my standard of living back to my eviction-notice days, thanks. If dropping to that level had been even a remote possibility I would have ditched the dream. But that's me---YMMV.
This seemingly endless "what can I do to afford Hawaii" banter makes me want to crack someone with a 2X4.
If you think you might not be able to afford it you probably can't---especially if you are thinking of dragging a family with you. The stats and data are out there. The good people here who already live in Hawaii are not interested in jerking you around and keeping Hawaii for themselves, LOL. LISTEN to them!
So....we own a house, I have a six-figure job, DH is retired with three guaranteed income sources and a 401K, and I also have a pension from a previous government job. This is not a high horse talking here---this is fact. And this is how we make it in Hawaii. When I retire I'll have SS, two pensions, and a 401K. And a house in Hawaii with a paid-up mortgage.
Speaking for me, and me only, I would not have come here if I had to live on the blanks of my blank.
Hawaii is nice, really nice. But there is no way I would chuck a decent life and a secure future elsewhere for a crappy existence here.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 06-18-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Gosh Pali - what a bummer. So Negative. A Pali-Downer so to speak. Where is the "Aloha"?

You can't squash those dreams of the folks with their last $10K to their name. They've got to get here. They are going to be frugal. They will get a job no problem - cmon, it is open season on jobs. What about my dream? I'll get a bunch of roommates. I don't need air - In fact I hate air conditioning. I definitely don't want a car. Eat - I'm going to diet! At least I'll be in HAWAII! (Even if I never have visited before!!!). Family on the mainland - the heck with them - I'm not flying back - who needs a budget. If I don't go, I'll regret it the rest of my life. I'll wear the same pair of shorts everyday if I have to.

They are different than all the rest that move here - because they say so! Then it must be so!

Cmon Pali - open the door for these folks. Don't talk common sense and logic. They don't need it. they definitely don't want it. Just tell them how wonderful it is here - and just like the song - don't worry, it'll be alright!

(by the way - I'm KIDDING).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 PM

431 posts, read 935,502 times
WV, I really don't intend to come off as mean-spirited. But somewhere along the line here there has to be a call for a reality check. All the contrived financial formulas and suppositions need to be kicked to the curb.
It truly is all about what you, personally, are willing to accept as a standard of living. Someone else's concept of "acceptable" should mean nothing to you.
You, and you ONLY, can know what you are willing to tolerate as far as living conditions go. All the cheerleaders (and so many who have never made the leap) in the world mean absolutely nothing when you open up that ENORMOUS electric bill, forego the vacation to the mainland, try to ignore your meth-head neighbors in that crappy apartment....
Just think, people. If you are bringing a family with you, think more.
A single person, open to living in crap conditions? Well, okay...fine. As long as you leave if and when you become a burden to others through joblessness, illness, etc.
Those with kids, etc? Think VERY hard. If you don't have family here, think harder. Bottom line, have an escape plan. Yes, you can go home again. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii