U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,856 times
Default Bunnies to Hawaii?

would it be possible to bring our pet rabbits to Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM

274 posts, read 1,072,035 times
I don't know, but you should be able to find an answer on the State website...
Animal Quarantine Information - Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,817 times
Default yes you can bring your rabbits

the laws in Hawaii say that ONLY carnivores, including dogs and cats must go through the quarantine process. I don't know if there is something instead of quarantine that must be done for rabbits though. But I do know that while rabbits and Belgian hares are allowed to be brought into the state wild hares are not allowed to be imported.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 19,480 times
their are no rabbits naturally on hawaii...yes it will have to be quarantined.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,341 times
Rabbits:

Require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate. The CVI must be issued and signed by a State, Federal, or accredited veterinarian within seven days prior to arrival in Hawaii.
The CVI must list and give a description of the rabbit(s) in the shipment, must state that the rabbit(s) were not showing signs of infectious, contagious and/or communicable diseases and were found free of external parasites.
Rabbits are required to enter the State only through the Honolulu International Airport where they are required to be submitted by an agent of the airline carrier to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility for inspection. Hours of inspection are 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Once inspection is complete and all entry requirements have been met, the rabbits may be released to the importer

[url=http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/ldc/other]Importing Other Species to Hawaii — Hawaii Department of Agriculture[/url]

Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,636,097 times
The original post was from 2007, but for anyone else thinking of bringing rabbits to Hawaii or already have rabbits here, I've heard there will be a rabbit club starting on the Big Island sometime between the end of the year and early next year with a rabbit show at some point early next year, too. I'm raising English Angora rabbits, so that's good news for me.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,151,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The original post was from 2007, but for anyone else thinking of bringing rabbits to Hawaii or already have rabbits here, I've heard there will be a rabbit club starting on the Big Island sometime between the end of the year and early next year with a rabbit show at some point early next year, too. I'm raising English Angora rabbits, so that's good news for me.
A rabbit club -- very cool! My wife and I hope to move to the BI in a few years (Hilo is her home town), and we have four Belgian lionhead rabbits that are statistically likely to still be alive, and that we couldn't bear to leave behind. I looked into this a while ago, and there are two airlines I found that let you transport rabbits (Delta and United? I can't remember, because we don't need to do this any time soon). One lets you take one rabbit (or other small animal) per passenger as a carry-on in a transport container. The other airline makes you put them in the cargo area where dogs go.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,636,097 times
Thanks for the airline information. Perhaps I'll be able to talk my brother into bringing me a rabbit when he visits this winter. Most mainland flights go through Honolulu and it would be nice to get some new genetics on island.

When you bring your rabbits, you may want to bring several unrelated pairs so you will be able to breed more of them. There are quite a few New Zealand White and crossbred rabbits folks are raising for meat. There are also a few pet rabbits, but I haven't a clue how many purebred Belgian lionhead rabbits there are here. Perhaps if we have a rabbit show we will be able to find these things out.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,269,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I looked into this a while ago, and there are two airlines I found that let you transport rabbits (Delta and United? I can't remember, because we don't need to do this any time soon). One lets you take one rabbit (or other small animal) per passenger as a carry-on in a transport container. The other airline makes you put them in the cargo area where dogs go.
Do a double check, United does not allow rabits at all incabin on their flights. You may be able to sneak it on if they think its a cat, but get caught and they will force it into cargo.
Delta does alow rabbits in cabin but not on flights to Hawaii.
Right now, no airlines alowes any animal (except service animals) incabin on any flight to Hawaii.
Always check current airline regulations not what happened before.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,151,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Thanks for the airline information. Perhaps I'll be able to talk my brother into bringing me a rabbit when he visits this winter. Most mainland flights go through Honolulu and it would be nice to get some new genetics on island.

When you bring your rabbits, you may want to bring several unrelated pairs so you will be able to breed more of them. There are quite a few New Zealand White and crossbred rabbits folks are raising for meat. There are also a few pet rabbits, but I haven't a clue how many purebred Belgian lionhead rabbits there are here. Perhaps if we have a rabbit show we will be able to find these things out.
Unfortunately (or maybe not), our rabbits are all spayed or neutered. My wife rescued from someone who couldn't keep them two young rabbits that she was told were both males. (It's hard to tell before they're fully grown.) A few months later, we learned that the former owner was half right: one of the "guys" gave birth to three babies. We intended to give them away once they were weaned, but once you name them, they become family. We knew little about rabbits in general and had never heard of Belgian lionheads, but it turns out that they're a very friendly breed and love to interact with humans. The only downside is that they shed constantly and profusely. (The "dust bunnies" in our house are made from genuine rabbit fur.) Sadly, the father died this summer from unknown causes -- we suspect a genetic heart defect, based on what we read. They're wonderful pets, but actually breeding rabbits would be more work than we'd want to take on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii