Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM

502 posts, read 984,946 times

Advertisements

All this said above should be a sobering WAKE UP CALL to NEW FOLK dreaming of coming to PARADISE and making a go of it with only a thin check book and bag full of OPTIMISM. Oh by the way, minimum hourly rate for any mechanic I have come to run across is $95. Put that is your Mai Tai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Close. The actual mechanic is getting $12 an hour. The shop is charging you $95 an hour (or more).

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
And my friend who was working in a shop didn't get very many hours each week because there were so many mechanics there.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:33 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,808,755 times
The shop I use (since my old one closed) is swamped with work! Their mechanics are all independent (ie not employees), and they can work as much or little as they want. Within reason, that is. The owner does not let them taking up space unless they are going to be working on cars.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
That's an interesting concept.

You could run an auto shop like a hairdressers, where the hairdressers are renting their booth space and are not employees. Rent bay space to mechanics.

Mechanics already have their own tools.

Maybe this has been done all along and I never knew because I am not much of an auto shop groupie.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The military has a "hobby shop" that lets folks work on their cars in a shop environment. However, the military doesn't have to worry about turning a profit.

Hmm, autoshops needs more "stuff" than hairdressers. A big air compressor for the tools, lifts to put the cars on, welding spots, parts cleaners, tire balancing machines, etc., etc. Paint booths are handy. It could be done, but it would be a much more extensive enterprise than hairdressers.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Having your own business here is very expensive, and many single entrepreneurs, while talented and knowledgeable, just can't afford the high rent, insurance, taxes, etc.

Shade tree mechanics run the additional risk of causing a problem with disclosure when the property is sold because of possible contamination by all the oil and gas that (may have) leaked into the ground, unless everything was always done on pavement and all those hazardous waste items were disposed of properly. To have a commercial space large enough to house a huge amount of parts is almost cost prohibitive. I see that with the appliance repair companies too; every other call status is "parts on order". They just can't afford to stock that many parts.

We have often ordered parts for our vehicles online but you have to really shop around to see what the parts store might charge for handling/shipping vs what you will pay directly if you order it yourself. My husband just ordered and put on a tail light assembly for a friend of mine, saving her over $150 from what the dealership was going to charge her.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,808,755 times
We've shipped in an online-shopped transmission by working with a cooperative mechanic. We've brought in online-bought tires. We bring in from online-shopping almost every part for our antique car. KonaKat gives a good hint, because online shopping for parts is often WAY cheaper, fast, and safe if you are careful.

For easy to stock parts, I like Carquest. My spouse likes Napa.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Unless your car is over 5 years old - just about any part is available immediately on Oahu whether that be a chevy, bmw, toyota, ford, etc. To get parts to an outer island - add another day or two. I needed brakes on my car a couple of weeks ago - there are maybe 10 of those cars on the islands but they were still in stock. Even older cars shouldn't take 2 weeks.
Not exactly true. We have a Saab and a Porsche. Seems like every time something goes wrong, it requires part from the mainland. The best to date was the turbo on the Saab. 2 weeks from Boston. (Don't know why the dealer orders from Boston, but there you go!)

Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Not exactly true. We have a Saab and a Porsche. Seems like every time something goes wrong, it requires part from the mainland. The best to date was the turbo on the Saab. 2 weeks from Boston. (Don't know why the dealer orders from Boston, but there you go!)
Well, since they don't make Saab's anymore - I would see that as a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii