Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

8 posts, read 18,391 times

Advertisements

Current location: Dothan, Alabama
People moving: Me, my girlfriend, 20lb miniature schnauzer.
Current occupation: Me - Automotive Sales, her - Teacher
Current Income: me - 60-70k.. her - 45k

So here's the situation. I've been in love with Hawaii my whole life. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Big Island and Kauai. Married my first wife on Maui. Island life isn't new to me as I used to live in Queenstown, New Zealand.

If could rate the islands based on preference it would be: Kauai, Maui, Big Island, Oahu. However, beggars can't be choosers and anything would be OK with me.

My girlfriend is going to try and get a teaching job next year and I need some advise on which island we should target. We aren't a loaded couple, just your typical middle class couple with hardly any debt and about 20k in savings. I would really love to move to Kauai, Maui or Big Island but I'm worried I would have a hard time finding a job. Being in sales, I would assume that finding a job in Oahu wouldn't be relatively difficult. I'm a very flexible salesman. I have a college degree in Geography and History and prior to doing sales I was a Urban Planner but found sales due to the economic collapse and I actually enjoy it better.

Is anyone here in sales or know about what it's like finding a sales job on any of the islands? I figure I may have to transition into some sort of tourism based sales. Like I said, I'm very flexible.

Which Island should I target based on our jobs and my preference? What type of sales positions do well in Hawaii and are most prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Aloha,

First, do your homework... use the Search function here to really dig into the archives. There's a wealth of information already posted.

Second, use a good cost of living calculator to figure out what income you would need to have in Hawai'i to equal your current standard of living where you are. Sperling's COL is pretty good. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Then once you figure out how much more it will cost to live in Hawai'i... say 120% of what you make now... you'll have to confront the fact that in reality you'll probably find the salaries in Hawai'i are about 30% lower than on the mainland, so you'll probably have a substantial shortfall to deal with. That means either taking a substantial cut in your standard of living, or taking second jobs. People in Hawai'i do both, in order to "live in paradise."

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2012 at 05:04 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If all the islands appeal to you, can you take a vacation to look around? Talk to a few employers and see what job possibilities are like?

Or just apply for all islands and see what teaching position is offered? About automotive sales, I wouldn't have a clue about where to start looking.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
Here's my quick opinion: you're (both) in fields and income brackets (plus a dog) that make it hard to move to any Hawaiian island. Yes, your wife should apply for Hawaii teaching jobs, there are lots of threads about this. But your sales job at that salary is going to be very hard to replace--not impossible depending on your drive and personality, but likely not right away. In the meantime you'll have to take any job, and you may or may not enjoy that. So you'll be living on not much and probably eating through savings to get established. So you'll arrive at the 6-8 month mark wondering whether to tighten the belt and keep on staying or whether to start planning the move back after your wife's school year (which is a disruption to the DOE and the schools). Your attitude and need for comfort things (new cars/trucks, cable TV, dining out, etc.) will determine your decision. The problem is, in either case, you've set your career and savings very far back, all for the chance to struggle and make it in Hawaii.

Please don't get me wrong, it can be done: our neighbors are a young couple who moved here with savings and a small inheritance. He worked on tour boats at first, then got his teaching credentials and a teaching job. Then they were able to start a family and buy a small house on my street. He teaches and she stays home with the children who were born here. They enjoy it, and have a fairly active but relaxing life with the new friends they're making all over. But no palm trees or views of the ocean from their small property, no eating out or living like a tourist anymore.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post
Current location: Dothan, Alabama
People moving: Me, my girlfriend, 20lb miniature schnauzer.
Current occupation: Me - Automotive Sales, her - Teacher
Current Income: me - 60-70k.. her - 45k

with hardly any debt and about 20k in savings.
What the heck - I'll chime in.

I had to look up Dothan, Alabama on the map. If you are making over $100K combined in a place where nice 3 bedroom houses (1,500 Sq ft) rent for $700/month and estates (3,500 sq ft) sell for $350K - you should have a heck of a lot more than $20K in savings. If this is a valid post - then you save every dollar you can the next 3 years - and have more like over $120K in savings - then think about the move. With that income - in that area - you should be able to save well over $3K per month.

Between the move - loss of income - you'll blow thru $20K in just a few months.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
If you do decide to move based on a job offer from the school system or anyone else, don't even book your ticket until you have a signed contract in hand for the job stating your salary et al.

Trust me on this.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,391 times
I know it's tough but I'm used to tough. I lived in New Zealand and it just about zapped everything I had when the recession hit and I ate PB&J for a week. We aren't big on going out to eat she loves to cook. We probably go out for a nice dinner twice a month. I appreciate the input but I realize what the costs will be and what's involved on an initial move and just how tough it is to get up and running. I'm not a brag on myself sort of guy but I got the skills and credentials to get a job quick. I've never had a hard time finding a job. I want to make sure she gets a job before I do.

We're definitely making a move this summer we are VERY sick of Alabama for obvious reasons no need to expound on that. Hawaii is a dream it always has been. I married my first wife on Maui and fell in love with the islands immediately. I've visted Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island. I really want to make it happen. I'm willing to part with certain luxuries to live in paradise.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post
My girlfriend is going to try and get a teaching job next year and I need some advise on which island we should target. We aren't a loaded couple, just your typical middle class couple with hardly any debt and about 20k in savings. I would really love to move to Kauai, Maui or Big Island but I'm worried I would have a hard time finding a job. Being in sales, I would assume that finding a job in Oahu wouldn't be relatively difficult. I'm a very flexible salesman.
I'd reconsider even thinking of it being Hawaii Island. We have many unemployed and underemployed folks already here, in need of jobs. Your chances of employment would be better elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
[[[[[[......I want to make sure she gets a job before I do. .....]]]]]]

I don't think I even want to know what the concept is behind this plan.

If island doesn't matter, have your wife start applying to all the schools on all the islands. Then take the job on whichever island comes available.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'll be perfectly honest with you..... I would never hire a salesman who just moved to Hawaii (in general, there can always be exceptions).

Our culture is a LOT different, and sales has to do with relating to your customer. A lot of people move here, and find they do not integrate well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii