Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:28 PM

128 posts, read 344,861 times

Advertisements

Are there no lightning there?

I'm looking for a tropical place to live. My thought is that Big Island sounds good except if a Big One hits then I might die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Don't forget Tsunami. Big Island can get those.

I've lived all my life in earthquake areas. The Big Island has lots of little quakes, which is excellent. Constant readjustment. It's when the earth saves it up until the pressure is enormous that you get the big killer earthquakes. The Big Island shakes it out as she goes along.

If earthquakes scare you, stay away from the Ring Of Fire. Perhaps look in the Caribbean, instead. There, you only have to worry about hurricanes and social unrest.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
We have lightening often enough, several months ago I got zapped while standing barefoot in my kitchen on a rain-wet floor. Previous storms have blown out our phones and computer. Earthquakes are common here, you get used to them. Vog is more common on the west (Kona) side of the island.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If earthquakes scare you, stay away from the Ring Of Fire. Perhaps look in the Caribbean, instead. There, you only have to worry about hurricanes and social unrest.
You're not serious, right?
Ummm, recall the little 7.0 event in Haiti in 2010?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/wo...s/13haiti.html

Caribbean at risk of more large earthquakes - environment - 15 January 2010 - New Scientist

Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post
Compared to the mainland lightning is quite infrequent in Hawai'i, but it does occur. In my neighborhood near the volcano it's rare, but when it happens it's usually loud and bright in a couple of big blasts and it's done. Weather experts say it's because we mostly do not have the colliding air masses of different temperatures that generate big lightning storms on the mainland. But we had a massive lightning storm about a year and a half ago in which about 24,000 lightning strikes were recorded in 12 hours. Most people I've talked to couldn't remember another storm like it.

Here's an excellent info page about Hawai'i weather. It's a bit of a long read, but worth it, because it explains a lot of the unusual features of the way our weather works. For instance, the persistent prevailing trade winds that blow east to west 90% of the time in the summer and 50 - 80% of the time in the winter. Houses and apartments that are situated to catch these winds benefit from natural cooling, which is why so many homes don't need air conditioning.

It's also a big part of why the volcanic emissions from the Kilauea volcano are more of a problem, more of the time on the Kona side than on the Hilo side, because the trade winds push the plume west into Ka'u District and then wrap around Mauna Loa to Kona District.

CLIMATE OF HAWAII

Here is an excellent resource on VOG itself, an interactive map displaying air quality readings at key locations around the island in real time, with links to other information:

http://www.hiso2index.info/

Quote:
I'm looking for a tropical place to live. My thought is that Big Island sounds good except if a Big One hits then I might die.
I'd be more worried about living in Southern illinois. The largest earthquake in US History was in 1812 in New Madrid, Illinois and was so massive that it rang church bells in Boston. According to an article I read in Smithsonian Magazine, there's a calculation that if (when?) another one hits there now more than a million people will likely die, due to inadequate building standards and insufficient disaster preparations. I actually feel safer in Hawai'i.

Check out the City Data profiles for communities you are interested... such as the Hilo profile I linked to below... and under the weather graphs is a section about earthquake activity, both average frequency and a list of the biggest ones on record. In this example, Hilo is listed as having above average earthquake activity for the state, with 764% more likelihood of quakes than the mainland average. But as oregonwoodsmoke mentioned, there are a lot of small frequent quakes. 26 miles south in Volcano the frequency jumps up to something like 1,000% more quakes than average. Why? Because they often center near Volcano but are so small they aren't even felt in Hilo.

But notice that the biggest quake on record for Hilo, in 1975, only caused 2 deaths. Most earthquake deaths occur when buildings collapse on people. Newer Hawaiian buildings are built to handle seismic events and most older ones have been retrofitted, so they rarely collapse on people. There actually seems to be little to worry about. Be prudent about disaster preparations and you should be fine.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hilo-Hawaii.html

Last edited by OpenD; 10-06-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
I vividly remember the twin waterspouts in May 2011 - not only was there the waterspouts easily seen from Ala Moana Blvd right at the end of work about 5.30pm - the severe flooding was intense and I got trapped from the flash flood for almost 2 hours - stuck under the roof of a apartment building - the sheets of rain from intense and got soaked anyway. Some of the loudest lightening I've ever heard.

Twin Waterspouts Appear In Hawaii (VIDEO)

And who can foget the lightning storm when Obama was in Hawaii in 2008 and the entire island of Oahu lost power. I was living in Hawaii Kai at the time and it took much longer than the rest of the island to get power. Foodland stayed open - they had calculators for checkout. Lesson learned - have a lot of candles on hand.

Major Power Outage in Honolulu as Obama Visits - TIME

And the real big one - The big island 6.6 quake that knocked out power in Oahu for an extended time and destroyed a lot of buildings on the big island. The was the first time I learned Oahu isn't on a true grid system - when it goes out - it goes out for everyone.

starbulletin.com | News | /2006/10/16/

Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:

If you are stuck by lightening, whether in Hawaii or elsewhere, you could die.
If you are caught in a collapsing building in an earthquake, whether in Hawaii or elsewhere, you could die.
But other things are more likely to cause your death in the US:

Lifetime Odds
Heart Disease: 1-in-5
Cancer: 1-in-7
Motor Vehicle Accident: 1-in-100
Legal Execution: 1-in-58,618
Lightning Strike:1-in-83,930
Earthquake:1-in-131,890

Interestingly, you are more likely to be legally executed in the US than to die from lightening or an earthquake. Who'd have thought that? Anyway, Hawaii does not have a recent history of people getting killed by earthquakes, lightning, nor vog. No do we have capital punishment (legal executions).

Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Where can you totally escape natural events anyway?

Hurricanes
Blizzards
Firestorms
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Lightning
Tsunami
Locusts

I know OP is thinking about the Caribbean as well...there is a much greater chance of being the victim of an armed robbery/murder in the Caribbean than dying from a hurricane. It's one of the major reasons we got out of there. The night of the morning we flew out to move to HI, the sheriff, a friend, was shot and severely wounded. And they also shot the deputy. When hoodies are going around singing "I shot the sheriff, and I also shot the deputy" and it's for real, you've gotta realize that the Caribbean is not such an ideal tropical paradise.

Still scared?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There was one day several years ago when we had a tsunami alert, a hurricane warning and a small earthquake all in one day. It was a good day to just give it all up and stay in bed.

Big Island doesn't seem to get the same hurricanes the other islands do. The big mass of the mountains sort of repels the winds and seems to whip them around into Oahu or Kauai.

We did have that big earthquake a few years ago. A 6.7 and it caused some damages. Nothing like the same size earthquake has caused in other areas, though, such as Haiti. Then there was that really big earthquake in Japan which didn't really cause all that much damage directly but the tsunami which followed it did cause huge amounts of damage.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Of course, if you're going to be scared of dying, what about the plane crashing while you fly to move here?

We all have to go sometime...the weather events here scare me less than weather events in many other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii