Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Here's a new low-- $2459/month for a disaster GIS analyst PDC DISASTER SERVICES ANALYST-- ID# 14451.
Do you mean: Minimum $2,459, seems to be an important word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you mean: Minimum $2,459, seems to be an important word.
When a job listing says minimum $X, what they mean is that the pay will be $X, or possibly SLIGHTLY higher.

I've applied for an RCUH job before-- that's definitely the case with them. The university goes on and on about promoting technology and getting people to go into STEM fields in Hawaii, but they themselves aren't willing to pay a decent salary for tech jobs. Most likely they just don't have the funding.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
When a job listing says minimum $X, what they mean is that the pay will be $X, or possibly SLIGHTLY higher.
IF that is the case, then that is what RCUH values the job. You may value it higher and you have the option of not applying. If nobody values the job at the stated, RCUH has the option of paying more or not filling the position.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
IF that is the case, then that is what RCUH values the job. You may value it higher and you have the option of not applying. If nobody values the job at the stated, RCUH has the option of paying more or not filling the position.
They can do whatever they want, but it's hypocritical to promote science careers while at the same time paying half what the equivalent job would pay in a city on the mainland.

No wonder kids in Hawaii just want to surf. They aren't dumb. They know their best bet is to learn how to serve drinks, not learn useful skills.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
They can do whatever they want, but it's hypocritical to promote science careers while at the same time paying half what the equivalent job would pay in a city on the mainland.
It's not. We aren't on the mainland.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
It's not. We aren't on the mainland.

Yes. Nothing matters. Working people staying poor is just fine. Lack of respect and pay for tech workers is just fine. Being one of the worst educated states that undervalues education is just fine. Because "we aren't on the mainland". We're Hawaii and we want to be a plantation economy forever. As long as the rich transplants from the mainland and the tourists are doing great and having fun with their $6000 surfskis that's all that matters right?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Yes. Nothing matters. Working people staying poor is just fine.
Huh?

Nearly 1 in 10 people is a millionaire in Hawaii. Hawaii is #4 in the nation in per capita millionaires (people who live here - not visitors)

It is almost hard to not be with rising real estate prices.

Top states for millionaires per capita#.

You may have also missed this:

Census Bureau: Fewer Hawaii households are on welfare - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

And Hawaii doesn't have near the poverty level of California even when accounting for cost of living otherwise known as the supplemental poverty level - and also less than New York, if one wants to talk about being a border state.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Huh?

Nearly 1 in 10 people is a millionaire in Hawaii. Hawaii is #4 in the nation in per capita millionaires (people who live here - not visitors)

It is almost hard to not be with rising real estate prices.

Top states for millionaires per capita#.

You may have also missed this:

Census Bureau: Fewer Hawaii households are on welfare - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

And Hawaii doesn't have near the poverty level of California even when accounting for cost of living otherwise known as the supplemental poverty level - and also less than New York, if one wants to talk about being a border state.
I get it. You got yours, screw everybody else. No wonder you're so happy with the plantation servant economy.

Of course the house value is an asset on paper only. If everybody sold their houses this year, do you think they'd all get that million? Nope. Pay matters. We have to make a living. Hey you know what? My landlord is one of those millionaires. We're paying his mortgage and then some.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:

Of course the house value is an asset on paper only. If everybody sold their houses this year, do you think they'd all get that million? Nope. Pay matters. We have to make a living. Hey you know what? My landlord is one of those millionaires. We're paying his mortgage and then some.
Well Wink - I know you want to blame everyone else for your misfortune - I've been consistent in not recommending a youngster with low income moving to Hawaii, others say follow the dream, I say how silly - nobody forced you to move here. Sorry to be blunt, you have no reason to be in Hawaii other than your personal desire. It is all on you. Not me - not your landlord - not your employer - not RCUH - just you. Most people don't buy into the theory you are entitled to high pay just for the sake of it. You've got to earn it.

Glad to hear you got some roommates to pay the landlord mortgage. I'm sure that helps with your expenses.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Well Wink - I know you want to blame everyone else for your misfortune - I've been consistent in not recommending a youngster with low income moving to Hawaii, others say follow the dream, I say how silly - nobody forced you to move here. Sorry to be blunt, you have no reason to be in Hawaii other than your personal desire. It is all on you. Not me - not your landlord - not your employer - not RCUH - just you. Most people don't buy into the theory you are entitled to high pay just for the sake of it. You've got to earn it.

Glad to hear you got some roommates to pay the landlord mortgage. I'm sure that helps with your expenses.
Earn high pay how? Jobs simply do not pay well. That's the case everywhere but especially in Hawaii. Did you read that 2009 article I posted about?

Criticizing me about moving to Hawaii doesn't change the reality that professional work isn't respected. BTW did you know my (illegal) contractor position was ended in Houston because I took too much time off after my dad died? You're acting like I had a choice. I took the first job in months that I got offered. A month later I got offered a job at an oil co in Fort Worth-- bad timing on their part...

BTW tell me how being a worthless bartender doing nothing but making people drunk is "earning" the high pay they get. Clearly your work's value to society isn't taken into consideration and "earn" is a misnomer. Duh, that's how the free market works. RCUH isn't part of the free market, it's a public institution that is supposed to promote the wellbeing of Hawaii.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-04-2014 at 03:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii