Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,555,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's not. We aren't on the mainland.
Man,,, I THOUGHT there was something different going on over here.

Thanks for pointing that out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,821,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Earn high pay how? Jobs simply do not pay well. That's the case everywhere but especially in Hawaii. Did you read that 2009 article I posted about?

Criticizing me about moving to Hawaii doesn't change the reality that professional work isn't respected. BTW did you know my (illegal) contractor position was ended in Houston because I took too much time off after my dad died? You're acting like I had a choice. I took the first job in months that I got offered. A month later I got offered a job at an oil co in Fort Worth-- bad timing on their part...

BTW tell me how being a worthless bartender doing nothing but making people drunk is "earning" the high pay they get. Clearly your work's value to society isn't taken into consideration and "earn" is a misnomer. Duh, that's how the free market works. RCUH isn't part of the free market, it's a public institution that is supposed to promote the wellbeing of Hawaii.
It isn't 2009.

Ever watch Judge Judy? Her advice would be: "Just move!"

Taking the first job you got offered wasn't such a bright idea, was it? It wasn't bad timing for the oil company in Ft. Worth. If they offered the job a month later - you should have taken if it was superior. Your circumstances are not their fault.

What a bartender makes has nothing to do with you.

If you think a bartender makes a good living - then become a bartender.

Society doesn't have anything to do with your low pay. It is the free market. I mean this seriously, why complain about low pay - you picked the career path. Nobody else did. You did.

You are mistaken about RCUH, the mission is: "The fundamental mission of RCUH is to support the research and training programs of the University of Hawaii and to enhance research, development, and training generally in Hawaii." If that means it can do so via low wages, then so be it. Nobody is forcing anyone to work at RCUH.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,426,269 times
Quote:
It isn't 2009.

Ever watch Judge Judy? Her advice would be: "Just move!"

Taking the first job you got offered wasn't such a bright idea, was it? It wasn't bad timing for the oil company in Ft. Worth. If they offered the job a month later - you should have taken if it was superior. Your circumstances are not their fault.

What a bartender makes has nothing to do with you.

If you think a bartender makes a good living - then become a bartender.

Society doesn't have anything to do with your low pay. It is the free market. I mean this seriously, why complain about low pay - you picked the career path. Nobody else did. You did.

You are mistaken about RCUH, the mission is: "The fundamental mission of RCUH is to support the research and training programs of the University of Hawaii and to enhance research, development, and training generally in Hawaii." If that means it can do so via low wages, then so be it. Nobody is forcing anyone to work at RCUH.
Right because it's very easy and free to move to Fort Worth... Where exactly would I have conjured up all this money to fly to FTW, ship my car, rent a car, and rent an apartment?

I actually mistyped--- I took the first job I got offered in a year. Keep in mind I had no unemployment benefits and therefore no way to keep paying rent.

This isn't 2009 but the same employer resistance to paying fair wages still applies. You can go on about the market all you want, doesn't make $29k a fair salary for a disaster analyst. The free market has regular people priced out of big city housing markets everywhere, millions of people earning $8/hr and less nationwide, millions without health insurance, millions of third world people working for cents a day. Seems pretty obvious that the idea of the free market being fair is a fallacy

I have no idea what you do, but it can't be that great considering your inability to understand basic concepts like fairness or why Hawaii has low violent crime but high property crime. Maybe you're a do-nothing middle manager. I'm sorry I picked a career that actually makes the world a better place and can create valuable things. Sorry I'm not a worthless nothing bartender mixing drinks like you'd prefer.

If RCUH and PDC deem a disaster analyst necessary for public safety in Hawaii, they should be willing to pay a decent salary for the skills and difficulty involved.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-04-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry I picked a career that actually makes the world a better place and can create valuable things. Sorry I'm not a worthless nothing bartender mixing drinks like you'd prefer.

If RCUH and PDC deem a disaster analyst necessary for public safety in Hawaii, they should be willing to pay a decent salary for the skills and difficulty involved.
Lots of careers that "make the world a better place" don't pay well. Social workers, teachers, park rangers, and government jobs all come to mind. I would think people choose those professions not for the money, but because they like the job. I just can't imagine park rangers out there are all bitter about the career choice they made - they don't pay well.

If money was that important to you - you should have picked a career path that would allow you to meet your goals. A Doctor, Lawyer, Pharmacist, Pilot, or even a Software Developer come to mind if "being a worthless nothing bartender" doesn't excite you.

I was looking up GIS salaries - and they are some of the lowest paying positions with a degree regardless of location, it isn't a Hawaii thing. A GIS Analyst in the bay area has a median salary of $47,000. Want to be really broke, try living in the bay area on $47K.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Lots of careers that "make the world a better place" don't pay well. Social workers, teachers, park rangers, and government jobs all come to mind. I would think people choose those professions not for the money, but because they like the job. I just can't imagine park rangers out there are all bitter about the career choice they made - they don't pay well.

If money was that important to you - you should have picked a career path that would allow you to meet your goals. A Doctor, Lawyer, Pharmacist, Pilot, or even a Software Developer come to mind if "being a worthless nothing bartender" doesn't excite you.

I was looking up GIS salaries - and they are some of the lowest paying positions with a degree regardless of location, it isn't a Hawaii thing. A GIS Analyst in the bay area has a median salary of $47,000. Want to be really broke, try living in the bay area on $47K.
When I was in college they told me that there were lots of GIS jobs and a shortage of GIS professionals. Transfer of the field to programmers putting out Google Maps based garbage, and colleges pumping out Geography grads have taken their toll. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be able to afford my own place with a job in my field... You know like a teacher, cop, politician, zookeeper, roofer, or carpenter. If employers wanted to pay those people $29,000 they could, but they don't.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM

You should seriously start thinking about a career change - consider University of Phoenix online or other avenues. It isn't likely to get any better from here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You should seriously start thinking about a career change - consider University of Phoenix online or other avenues. It isn't likely to get any better from here.
I did change fields, I'm a patent data analyst. You know what happens when you switch to a new career? You start at entry level

Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM

Lava is heading right towards homes on the Big Island | More Local News - KITV Home

How underpaid do you want the person predicting lava flow to be?

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Lava is heading right towards homes on the Big Island | More Local News - KITV Home

Maybe the person predicting the lava flow does not feel they are underpaid.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,485,201 times
Quote:

They aren't exactly predicting anything, they are telling people that it will flow wherever it decides to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii