Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 01:01 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times

Advertisements

For those of you wanting to move to Hawaii, I thought this might be helpful to share some of the toughest decisions that those who have gone before you had to make.

Moving to a new place, in the middle of the ocean is never easy. Typically you need to make a conscious choice to move Hawaii. For some of us the decision to move was NOT easy and we had to answer allot of tough questions!! Like...will we miss our families, how would we earn a living, will we have enough money, what if we don't like it, will I have the same life style, will my co-workers accept me....etc. etc.

Most of reasons for moving will fall into one of the following category:
  1. Personal (I love it in Hawaii...sun, fun, surf...)
  2. Family (I need to get away from them on the mainland, or I need to be closer to them in Hawaii....)
  3. Work (I found a job, or I am being transfered...)
  4. Education (I am going to school at UH, BYU...)
  5. Retire (I am going to live out my golden years out there...)
  6. I didn't know what to do with my self so I hoped on a plane (I am a lost sole and wanted to find myself)
.....but what is the most difficult decision that you had to make, prior to boarding the plane to get to HAWAII to start your new life !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
.....but what is the most difficult decision that you had to make, prior to boarding the plane to get to HAWAII to start your new life
That's simple... whether or not moving so far away from all my friends and family would work.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 PM

174 posts, read 349,135 times
For us our move came about in this order:
  1. Personal (we love it in Hawaii...sun, fun, surf...)
  2. Retire (we want to live out our golden years here...) - so we saved up a rather large down payment with the help of the sale of our townhouse on the mainland and found a condo we loved and close in to the things we like to do
  3. Work (husband wound up being transfered on a fluke and I found a job week after arriving)
  4. Family (I needed to get away from husband's adult kids (the wickeds) on the mainland, and my father lives in Hawaii most of the year - I do miss being able to see my mom but chat on daily basis through email or talk on the phone)

Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
We're here because spouse was recruited to work here. After doing our due diligence on whether we wanted to relocate to a totally new climate and culture, we learned through research and this forum that it costs less to live here than where we moved from. Most people's mileage will vary on that one.

The decision to move to Hawai'i wasn't all that difficult. Our most difficult decisions entailed our belongings. We moved from the Caribbean and shipping even a half container here was ridiculously expensive. Cars about $6K per (plus having to rent a car here for several weeks). After doing the research, we decided to move via US Mail. We sent a few boxes of things we needed immediately via Priority Mail, and they arrived before we did as we took a week vacation in my old town during the move. The rest was sent parcel post, with the exception of 7 or 8 media mail boxes. The most difficult decisions were what to send ($$$$$, and PITA packing, labeling, Customs forms etc. which we needed because of where we were moving from) and what to sell, donate, gift, toss. It was really agonizing. The most heartbreaking things to leave behind were our kayaks. Shipping them VI-HI was $850 EACH so obviously we sold them. We also hated to sell our cars, but economically it would have been foolish to ship them. Our move was made up of hundreds of difficult decisions. In the end, we erred in favor of shipping a little more than we should have but not that much, maybe 2-3%.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default this is easy...

the toughest decisions we had to make were leaving our horse and my piano. The rest was a breeze...it was a concious decision we made and we haven't looked back.
Koale

Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,096 times
Tougest decision is should I stay in Nor Cal or take the job offer in Honolulu? The question is my elementary school age kids. Rumor has it that there is a "beat up white kids" day at the public schools. Will my kids be bullyed? My son is blond but thankfully my daughter has dark hair.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmei100 View Post
Tougest decision is should I stay in Nor Cal or take the job offer in Honolulu? The question is my elementary school age kids. Rumor has it that there is a "beat up white kids" day at the public schools. Will my kids be bullyed? My son is blond but thankfully my daughter has dark hair.
You also asked the same question in another thread...

My answer is the same... it's an urban myth. It wasn't true when it was started, it isn't true now.

You should far more concerned about the reduction in your lifestyle level if you make that move. Cost of living is higher, salaries are lower, a real double whammy. Use the Search function to pull up recent threads from the archives on this.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM

60 posts, read 245,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You also asked the same question in another thread...

My answer is the same... it's an urban myth. It wasn't true when it was started, it isn't true now.

You should far more concerned about the reduction in your lifestyle level if you make that move. Cost of living is higher, salaries are lower, a real double whammy. Use the Search function to pull up recent threads from the archives on this.
Agree.

My blonde haired, blue eyed kid does just fine. A$$hole kids can get beaten up, no matter the color of their skin.

My most difficult decision was where to find housing/schools/convenience to work.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Not a hard decision for us at all. We retired to the Big Island because it's where we could afford the type of housing we wanted, and because we love the rural lifestyle. Not a hard decision to leave friends and family, because we also spend our summers with them on the mainland. The most difficult decisions were what to bring and what to leave behind, and we still brought too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii