U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 AM

326 posts, read 3,357 times
Default sub $100,000 houses found in hawaii!

I wonder why everyone says that Hawaii is the "most expensive and unaffordable" state in the nation, but yet I have just recently found a rather large string of sub $100,000 single family homes, especially on the big island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
1,718 posts, read 3,524,427 times
You may want to look at the area, the neighborhood, the amenities, ie, electricity, sewage, water and roads, before you jump to any conclusions. Might want to look at the house too. I'm sure you can get $100,000.00 houses in Montana, Lousianna, heck, pretty much everywhere, but there's a reason for the low price.

Aloha

Old 10-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Status: "Even the losers get lucky sometimes" (set 11 days ago)

1,301 posts, read 1,477,403 times
Well people say it because it's expensive (relative to other places) to live in Hawaii. And when it comes to cheap houses, cheap isn't always better.

The question is not one of price but where the house is located. Is it out in the sticks somewhere, miles from any services or shopping? Will your neighbors be a house full of ice heads with rusted cars in the front yard and 50 dogs running loose day and night?

I've seen condos on the Big Island, Hilo side, in the low to mid $100,000 range. Most were leasehold properties and were no bigger than your standard hotel room. By the same token, I have seen houses that were little better than shacks with an asking price of $200,000+.

You can try and bargain shop for you Hawaii dream home if you like. But like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".

Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 AM

65 posts, read 271,845 times
You mean in the "lava flow" land?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
1,718 posts, read 3,524,427 times
There is definitely some "hot property" on the Bigger Island. Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Aloha

Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM

2,676 posts, read 4,194,915 times
Those "cheap houses" were probably built without permits, and are probably off the grid. You can also buy a one acre lot in Ocean View for $20,000, but all you get is an acre of old lava and no utilities. If that's the way you want to live, then go for it.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 PM

1,749 posts, read 5,670,570 times
Many places have no water, power, cable, phone and the places are built without permits. There are lots and lots of cheap, substandard shacks. Some of the places you'll need a 4 wheel drive to get to. Your neighbors may be the Ted Kzynski types. They WILL be wayyyy out in the boonies. You really have to look at the places in person. Now...good, nice, livable homes can be had under 200k, no question. Some of the really cheap shacks make a garden shed look like a mansion. Lava flow is also a consideration.

Housing cost is but one aspect of cost of living. It cost me 3x as much to live in rural East Hawaii as it did to live in Pasadena (Los Angeles). This figure included changes to the frugal in my lifestyle. I tell everyone that it's totally doable if that's where you want to be...and housing deals are still out there.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 39,336 times
I agree. I found some great buys. I am still not sure about "off the grid" living. I found a house that is solar, but I don't know how reliable solar is. I am willing to pare down my belongings for a much slower life style. I have been to East Hawaii twice and loved it. Like you said a frugal lifestyle. I am tired of living up to the "Jones" standard that we have here in Cali! I am tired of it! I would rather live life, than have life kill me y-know! just trying to figure out how much I want to pare down as I only want to move my cars and the belongings that I really love....Thanks for such a great forum.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
jde

15 posts, read 44,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Many places have no water, power, cable, phone and the places are built without permits. There are lots and lots of cheap, substandard shacks. Some of the places you'll need a 4 wheel drive to get to. Your neighbors may be the Ted Kzynski types. They WILL be wayyyy out in the boonies. You really have to look at the places in person. Now...good, nice, livable homes can be had under 200k, no question. Some of the really cheap shacks make a garden shed look like a mansion. Lava flow is also a consideration.

Housing cost is but one aspect of cost of living. It cost me 3x as much to live in rural East Hawaii as it did to live in Pasadena (Los Angeles). This figure included changes to the frugal in my lifestyle. I tell everyone that it's totally doable if that's where you want to be...and housing deals are still out there.
I don't understand why it cost 3X as much as Pasadena, CA? Doesn't it depend on your lifestyle? We are not big night life people, cook at home, and from what I've seen in the stores, if you stock up on the sales, groceries shouldn't be too much more. The steaks are a great price. If I could afford a house half as nice as mine now, I'd be there in a second.
(Maui) There's plenty of work for my husband and it looks like plenty of work for me and my teenagers. I don't know if they'd feel secluded though, so I worry about that. I'm trying to figure out how to come up with the money for the house. I'll worry about the rest when the time comes.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 PM

2,676 posts, read 4,194,915 times
jde, I think it is a combination of a lot of different things. Milk and bread for example are outrageous, even at Costco. Gas is really expensive; sometimes it's 20 cents a gallon more than in Colorado, or even more than that. Furniture is limited selection and expensive unless you find a good buy at a garage sale.

On the other hand, you don't need a lot of clothes because dress is so casual. We don't have either air conditioning or heat in our house near South Point. The beaches are all free. You can pick up good deals on produce and locally made goods at the many Farmer's Markets around the island.

Don't forget that not a whole lot of stuff is grown or made on the island, so stores need to pass on their shipping costs to you. Anything you buy on the internet costs extra to ship to Hawaii (that is IF they ship to Hawaii).

A lot of people on this forum have suggested a book called "So You Want to Live in Hawaii" by Toni Polancy. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii