Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times

Advertisements

Dane,
If you're referring to the transportation of river stones from Iao Valley to Honolulu, they could have just as easily used Young Brothers and a 20' or 40' container. Would more than likely never have been noticed.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM

65 posts, read 377,052 times
yes but how much does that cost?

would the waipahu backyard moke do that?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 AM

37 posts, read 175,364 times
For the ferry.

Here in Washington State; taking the ferry is a way of life for millions of people to commute to work and play. I'm hoping HI can make a go of the ferry system in hopes that WA will look at replacing their 80 year old fleet with the same type of catarmaran the Superferry is using.

As far as security goes, no problem on the WA ferries. Trust me, they are watching everybody and everything on these vessels.

Last edited by Kalidog; 10-10-2007 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 AM

37 posts, read 175,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
just don't know if i can handle the seasickness. road the ferry across the channel from england to france and EVERYONE was sick. omg! guess i'll have to take some pills or eat ginger to help. will someone please pass the barf bag.
Look into getting a Relief Band to relieve motion sickness. Relief Band is a "watch" that you wear on either wrist and it sends an electrical current thru your pressure point on your wrist. I have one and it works great. Best thing about this product is that it works even after you are starting to feel sick and it doesn't make you sleepy. Only thing you don't want to do with it; stick your hand in a bait bucket - been there; done that - boy what a jolt!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 AM

144 posts, read 735,769 times
Pro ferry. But they gotta get it together with the eis stuff.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,352 times
The superferry issue is yet another example of why Hawaii ranks the worst state in America to do business in.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
As a part-time resident of the Big Island's Puna District (which already has it's fair share of invasive species such as fire ants, coqui frogs, Albizia trees, and clueless developers), I can afford to be somewhat "pro-Superferry" because it's probably not going directly affect me or my environment. However, if I were a full-time resident of Kaua'i or Maui, I would be "anti-Superferry." The whole mess establishes a bad precedent and it could've been avoided in the first place if certain state officials had simply followed the law....

Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Kani,
I think the whole point is that there were far more people, mostly locals, on the ferry, than there were protestors, in the harbor on Kauai, so what's the problem. As far as the ferry being fast, it's not that much more than is an ocean liner or a Matson container ship. From what I've seen it rides high in the water, and would definitley not present more of a problem than any other ship out there, in regards to the whales, than would commercial or naval vessels. Whole situation is kind of pilau nui.......
Kani, wouldn't worry about your opu, catamarans are pretty stable

Aloha
the security problem i refer to is that the protestors should stay out of the water and stop taking their frustrations out on the boat riders. they shouldn't have been pounding on the cars and trying to let out air in the tires. it's okay to protest, but two wrongs don't make a right.

i agree with you that the ferry wouldn't, "present more of problem than any other ship out there." and also agree that the, "whole situation is kind of pilau nui."

jungjohann, what's the difference between a catamaran and a ferry? please educate me? if the super ferry is a catamaran, then why is it called a ferry? i don't know, i think i'll still need to pack some ginger as i get motion sickness very easily--even on land! these eyes of mine seem to play tricks on me.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidog View Post
Look into getting a Relief Band to relieve motion sickness. Relief Band is a "watch" that you wear on either wrist and it sends an electrical current thru your pressure point on your wrist. I have one and it works great. Best thing about this product is that it works even after you are starting to feel sick and it doesn't make you sleepy. Only thing you don't want to do with it; stick your hand in a bait bucket - been there; done that - boy what a jolt!
where does one purchase the, "relief band"? i've never heard of it. won't be sticking my hand in a bait bucket--i don't fish.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Kani,
Ferries are normally mono hulled, because they are subjected to fairly calm ocean conditions. The SF is a catamaran, twin hulls, sits high in the water, and is "theoretically" very stable, as the channel between Oahu and Maui can get pretty malualua at times. From what I've seen of it on the news it looks like a pretty nice ride. Took the ferry from Molokai to Lahaina a few years back, water was absolutely terrible, incoming Kona storm. I'm on the stern of the boat, have tourists going by every now and then to give it the old opu heave ho over the railing. If you want a calm ride, just find a spot in the stern. I hope Cordoza's ruling is overturned, and think it will be..

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii