Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:52 PM

144 posts, read 735,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Good luck, Cowgirl, with your situation. Family situations can be very tricky. Hope that works out smoothly for you...
After a couple of months of wrangling I mentioned the possibility of a partition lawsuit to my brother and lo and behold, we were all able to work out an agreement. My brother and sister have agreed to buy my part of the house from me. We are in escrow now.

Whew! I still have my fingers crossed and hope we make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Glad to hear it...!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM

850 posts, read 4,362,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
After a couple of months of wrangling I mentioned the possibility of a partition lawsuit to my brother and lo and behold, we were all able to work out an agreement. My brother and sister have agreed to buy my part of the house from me. We are in escrow now.

Whew! I still have my fingers crossed and hope we make it.

right on, pcg! got my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 PM

kailuan residents move out: Kailuan dispute comes to quiet end | starbulletin.com | Business | /2008/02/16/

"former lessess at the kailuan cooperative yesterday became the first multi-family tenants in the state to be evicted at the end of their ground lease term."

Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 55,450 times
Please forgive me for bringing this thread back from the dead but I a similar question.

I live in Maryland and I own a house as a joint tenant with my ex-fiancee. We are about to split and I want to keep the house. I can get a mortgage but she can't. If she does not agree to buy me out, can I force a sale so that I can get a mortgage and keep the house. We have only been in the house 1 year. I paid the entire down payment ($15,000) and all of the repairs ($30,000). Her investment is half of the mortgage and bills during the year. I don't want split any equity because we can't sell in this market anyway.

Thanks,

TrappedMD

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM

maybe try and post the same questions in the mortgage and/or real estate forums?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 AM

4 posts, read 55,450 times
Thanks. I posted it in real estate.

Trapped

Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 AM

4 posts, read 26,909 times
A partition lawsuit is a suit that is filed by a co-owner listed on one of two types of deeds -- a Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship (JTWROS) deed or a Tenants in Common (TIC) deed. Partition is a right of each co-owner on the deed, and nothing can be done to stop the process once it is filed. This is something that all persons should be aware of when puchasing joint property and preparing deeds. Any one person on the deed can commence a partition lawsuit to dissolve the relationship and force a division of the property.

When a petition to partion has been filed by a co-owner and acknowledged by a judge, all property owners lose control of the property and they must follow their state's real estate partition laws. Real estate partition law varies from state to state, but the two types of deeds normally mean the same across the board.

Partition means that the property will be physically divided up, if possible, to give each owner a physical, equal share. If a physical division is not possible without spoiling the whole, then the property will be ordered sold and the proceeds divided according the each owner's share. Some states allow an owner the opportunity to buy out the other owners before the property is offered at public sale which is usually a public auction (and usually at a substantially lower cost) Some states also allow multiple owners to combine their shares to form a majority ownership to avoid a public sale.

A JTWROS deed always means that all owners automatically have equal shares in the property, so proceeds must be divided equally among the tenants during a sale or during a partition of the property. So if four tenants are listed on the deed, each tenant owns a 25% share of the property. There is no way to change that regardless of any one tenant's contribution to the purchase price. During the partition process, credits may be issued for payments made to utilities or maintenance, but no credit would be issued for any one tenant's contribution to purchase price.

If the deed is a TIC deed, then shares could be unequal which may result in an unequal distribution during a sale or partition. Just as with a JTWROS deed, credits may be given for utilities or maintenance payments made in excess of one tenant's share. In both instances, credit may be given for rennovation and upgrades only if such actions resulted in an increase in property value.

After the partition process is over, the tenants will be responsible for the costs of partition according each tenant's share of ownership. Costs may include attorney fees, court fees, court master fees, appraisal fees, etc.

Needless to say, the way you take title to a property can affect your future and your finances. Be very careful when taking deed to jointly owned property. One owner can force all others out into the street and create financial turmoil.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
Beware legal advice obtained from unknown persons over the internet. If you need advice about taking title to property or partition actions, see a lawyer licensed in the state where your property is. 'nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: