U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM

3,745 posts, read 1,170,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy1990 View Post
You live in hawaii & you dont know the term howlie? I find that hard to believe lol
Haole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,440,988 times
where do they come from? lol

ummmm, they come from hawaii who are either mentally ill....or just people that are in Hawaii that are down on their luck. . . what do u mean "where do they come from?"....like as if they get on a boat from the mainland and set sale to Hawaii lol. . . . like please

Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM

4,799 posts, read 2,896,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Haole
Thanks, Robin!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM

4,799 posts, read 2,896,116 times
Quote:
You live in hawaii & you dont know the term howlie? I find that hard to believe lol
I know what a haole is, but I have no idea what a "howlie" is. It's a good thing you didn't get that tattoo.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 4,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I know what a haole is, but I have no idea what a "howlie" is. It's a good thing you didn't get that tattoo.
Haole, my mistake ^_^
I agree, definitely just a phase

Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,881,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
where do they come from? lol

ummmm, they come from hawaii who are either mentally ill....or just people that are in Hawaii that are down on their luck. . . what do u mean "where do they come from?"....like as if they get on a boat from the mainland and set sale to Hawaii lol. . . . like please
I disagree.

Many of the homeless on the Big Island of Hawaii are not from Hawaii. They are former mainlanders that for whatever the reasons, have either chosen to be homeless or simply have no desire or need to do anything else with their life. They will qualify for food stamps and some of the other benefits such as welfare payments which lets them basically be drug addicts and drunks.

Others are hippies or wannabe's who somehow think it is cool or hip to do mostly nothing with their life and live off of others. In the Pahoa area, you wouldn't believe how many "new" homeless people show up every week. Many are from the west coast. An even more surprising number are what we call "trust-a-farians". They have money from a trust fund or otherwise dumb relatives and simply have chosen to do nothing but get high and drunk throughout their life. It is really sad.

There ARE some that truly have had some bad luck and are homeless not by their own choice. Some even have jobs. I feel for these people as they truly want to do better.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,493,949 times
A good chunk of the homeless are from the FSM - Federated States of Micronesia. They "failed to make the adjustments necessary to live in a modern society" according to a news report out of FSM. We've seen a lot of people from that demographic out in tents and other structures near the piers off Ala Moana.

For those who doubt that any mainland cities have cleaned up the homeless and sent them with a one-way ticket to Hawaii, here's a reference for you from this month. It's called "Patient dumping." Out of sight, out of mind! And good ol' Mayor Bloomberg of New York, the perennial busybody and playboy, was sending homeless out of sight and out of mind as long as 5 years ago.

Dumping the homeless is not as farfetched as some on here have said. It's an "easy" solution to make "leaders" look good for short periods of time.

IMHO we have a HUGE LEADERSHIP VACUUM in the United States. Rather than facing the problem square on and determining the constellation of reasons for the problem, politicians, ever trying to get re-elected, just look to the easy solutions. It isn't just when it comes to homelessness. By and large our entire body of political leaders in this country have not only bankrupted the country, they are morally and spiritually bankrupt, lacking in character and gumption to do the right things to find the solutions. Instead they resort to dumping patients, putting in tighter controls and finding ways to mess with the law-abiding citizens because we are easier targets.

The absolute Politically Incorrect - and yet Inconvenient Truth --is that laws in the 50's and 60's set in motion the homeless problem we have today. The well-meaning idea was first that "people should be able to live independently." While it isn't the entire story, laws in the 60's set hundreds of thousands of people out on the streets with mental illnesses because the laws said you couldn't be institutionalized without your consent. It was a well-meaning provision. You don't want your cousin or bratty kids to institutionalize you so they can get their hands on your money. Here's a PDF with some interesting information.

Then again, if you have a relative or loved one who is indeed mentally ill, it would be good to be able to put them in a place where they can be cared for and out of harm's way. That is very difficult to do without the person's permission at this point. It's a double edged sword that was swept under the rug when it happened and has been ignored for fear of offending people ever since. Since then, there have been other waves of de-institutionalizing people.

Since more than 25% of the homeless population at any given time are suffering from some sort of mental issues, it becomes dangerous for those homeless who are just temporarily down on their luck. Living on the streets is a dicey proposition. Those who write on the Hawaii forum that they'd like to just "move to Hawaii and live on the beach" don't understand the ramifications.

Another contributing factor to homelessness is the meth use in the islands. Hawaii was one of the first places crystal meth took hold. Law enforcement was so intent on curbing marijuana cultivation and use that a cheaper alternative jumped to the head of the line. Unfortunately, according to some reports, even one use of crystal meth can drop kick you into a state of schizophrenia. The same studies reported a similar link with heavy marijuana use. So.... it's hard to hold a life together when you are suffering from schizophrenia, and that adds to the problem. Families fracture, home life is destroyed, people wind up on the streets.

The homeless shelter in Hawaii that I volunteered at, IHS, found that many of their homeless not only had mental health issues, but also had broken or non-existent support systems. I asked once if we are all one paycheck away from being one of their clients. The director at the time said, "No. Not if you work on your support systems, keep your family relationships healthy, and stay away from drugs. You can manage just about anything if you are sober and have love and support from someone else."

I thought that was a very astute and helpful comment. It made me more mindful of my relationships and less willing to let them fall apart over manini things.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,493,949 times
Quote:
Howlie is a derogetory term used on the island to identify a white person. I also heard "paleface" quite often even though i was golden bronze within the first week or so being there lol.

I often make a joke how im gonna get a tattoo of a wolf howling & write "howlie boy" and go back to see if i get complimented or killed lol. Probably wont ever do that but thought it was a funny thought one day sittin in the jungle smokin with my buddies :P
And for the record, Higgy, Haole is not a derogatory term unless they use "special words" in front of it. This debate has raged on this forum for years. Please do a search. I'm too tired to debate it right now.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 AM

129 posts, read 171,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is easy - they post on here - people egg them on, usually not from Hawaii, and say follow your dream. They burn thru the $10K they said they have, it lasts a couple of months, and then they can't afford to go back. It isn't complicated.
That's about the size of it, except it's been going on before the internet was available. Just people with dreams, not quite knowing how to live them when they turn out to be "not exactly as expected".

Some also come for jobs that don't pan out, which was my case. I was left stranded and broke on Maui thanks to a bogus job offer, in 1970. But I was able to find a part time dishwashing job within a few weeks of quitting my bogus non-job, and find a "crash pad" for $10 a week, and a better job, and a better one still, and a better place to stay, and a little more than two years later had made a down payment on some land on the Big Island. I guess it's harder now, but I find it difficult to understand how someone would want to live a "mainland homeless style", when it's possible to live "broke, but clean". Attutude.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 10,845,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
The absolute Politically Incorrect - and yet Inconvenient Truth --is that laws in the 50's and 60's set in motion the homeless problem we have today. The well-meaning idea was first that "people should be able to live independently." While it isn't the entire story, laws in the 60's set hundreds of thousands of people out on the streets with mental illnesses because the laws said you couldn't be institutionalized without your consent.
While I agree with the thrust of what you said, I think you understated the importance of the huge role the Supreme Court played in all this. In a series of impactful decisions through this period the principle was firmly established that an individual's Constitutional right to personal freedom is not cancelled out by mental illness. I think today we all know that people cannot be involuntarily institutionalized, nor even forced to take medications against their will, unless they are shown to be a danger to themselves or others. But it was not always thus.

And that's why I personally try to be patient with the homeless, as long as they aren't bothering me, because I realize that they are just another one of the many manifestations of our American ideal of Freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii