U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,358,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingSea View Post
However, for those inclined, at least on Maui, minimum wage is about $12 per hour.
The Hawaii Minimum Wage is $7.25 per hour. It is set at the state level, not county level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 23,689,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
The Hawaii Minimum Wage is $7.25 per hour. It is set at the state level, not county level.
He did say "about..."

Fuzzy math skills.

Fuzzy government understanding for that matter.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

12,971 posts, read 25,005,248 times
Quote:
I found several job listings on CL that mentioned $8/hr and one that required experience but paid $9/hr! Obviously they are rolling in the dough up there!

On the other hand, servers who work for tips can legally be paid as low as $3.50/hr, and have taxes for their tips withheld from their wages.

Honestly, there's no joy at the bottom of the unskilled labor pool.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
On the other hand, servers who work for tips can legally be paid as low as $3.50/hr, and have taxes for their tips withheld from their wages.
Actually, in Hawaii:
Quote:
The Hawaii minimum wage for tipped employees is $7.00 per hour, higher then the federal minimum wage for tipped employees of $2.13 per hour. The Hawaii tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.
Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Hawaii Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour. If a Hawaii employee does not earn at least $7.25 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash.
An article this week explains:
Interestingly however, 19 states have per hour tip credits of $5.12 to $5.48, 5 states have tip credits of between $4.36 to $4.98, 13 states have tip credits of $3.00 to $3.99, 5 states have tip credits of $2.25 to 2.90; while Hawaii's tip credit is 25 cents.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM

12,971 posts, read 25,005,248 times
Quote:
Actually, in Hawaii:
Ahhh, good catch.

I had just been reading the story of the Applebee's server who was fired from her $3.50/hr + tips mainland job when she posted a picture of a receipt for a party of 20 where the pastor who paid the bill crossed off the mandatory 18% service charge, wrote a note that he/she only gave 10% to God, then left a $6 cash tip.

Still, if you've ever worked for tips, as I did years ago, you know it's no barrel of chuckles.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,233 times
Thank You DancingSea, it kinda seem like they dont wont be to come at all, Ive been to Hawaii before to live with my grandmother as I stated earlier. The price of living didnt affect me then, I was just a child at the time. I have a Associate in Information Technology, and I have spoken to my manager about relocating me to one of our facility in Hawaii. There I perfer to finish the rest of my career. You guys act like I dont have family, its not like they going to let me live over there and forget about me gush...... Get a grip. I know how to manage my life and face obstacles that get in my way. I just ask where is a nice place to live. My parents paying for my tuition no matter what the cost they just want me to handle my living expenses on my own. Im pretty sure I can manage that, and plus I dnt need to know anyone to move there. There's plenty of nice people that are welling to help anyone in need of questions and advance. Im not moving to look to find friends or neighbors. Im old enough to know my way of living. And if things dont work out I can always come back home to a place to stay.

Thanks All for your comments, concerns, opinions, life experiences and ideas, thanks so much......

Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM

10,560 posts, read 13,782,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR250185 View Post
they just want me to handle my living expenses on my own. Im pretty sure I can manage that,
Out of all these posts - how did you come to that conclusion?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
they just want me to handle my living expenses on my own. Im pretty sure I can manage that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Out of all these posts - how did you come to that conclusion?
From this fact:

Quote:
My parents paying for my tuition no matter what the cost
So, it is not completely on their own. Lucky student!!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,326,990 times
Quote:
Thank You DancingSea, it kinda seem like they dont wont be to come at all, Ive been to Hawaii before to live with my grandmother as I stated earlier. The price of living didnt affect me then, I was just a child at the time. I have a Associate in Information Technology, and I have spoken to my manager about relocating me to one of our facility in Hawaii. There I perfer to finish the rest of my career. You guys act like I dont have family, its not like they going to let me live over there and forget about me gush...... Get a grip. I know how to manage my life and face obstacles that get in my way. I just ask where is a nice place to live. My parents paying for my tuition no matter what the cost they just want me to handle my living expenses on my own. Im pretty sure I can manage that, and plus I dnt need to know anyone to move there. There's plenty of nice people that are welling to help anyone in need of questions and advance. Im not moving to look to find friends or neighbors. Im old enough to know my way of living. And if things dont work out I can always come back home to a place to stay.

Thanks All for your comments, concerns, opinions, life experiences and ideas, thanks so much......
Syletha,
I hope you do come. As long as you know the challenges, I'm with you and DancingSea; Oy, I know for some on this forum, they truly want to make sure you don't turn into another negative statistic. Whereas there are others who seem to only know to go to the negative in any situation.

As I stated, I hope you get your plans and finances together and make it over to the islands. Maui is wonderful, but as I mentioned before; I'm a city girl, so Oahu is the island for me.

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,326,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yeah, I guess come on over - even if school is free I don't know how you pay for even basic living expenses on a little more than $1,000/month gross pay if working full-time - I'd love to hear how that works. I don't think it is remotely possible but what the heck.
You sound like a Dad that's been beaten down by his three daughters and wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or