Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,578,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSpEct86 View Post
Thank You for the replies. I have definitely been reading through the forum and also other sites as well. Why are the schools so bad there? Since I have been in college we have been surviving on just my husband's pay so hopefully, the plan is anyways that I will have my Degree and be able to get a job and help out when we decide to move. My husband makes good money for Ohio he grossed 54,000 this year so I don't know if that's good there but its nice money here. I'm hoping his degree will do him good in a warmer climate too since its for heating and Cooling lol.Are there a lot of Jobs for Psychologist/therapist? What about HVAC?
Your husband is making $54,000 in Ohio, which you say is "nice money" there. In Hawaii, that would be struggling. A lot of people work two and three jobs to make ends meet; I don't know if those add up to the $55,000 median income that you found on City Data. But, it has been said time and time again on this forum -- Hawaii is very expensive to live. Especially Oahu. A one-week visit will hopefully open up your eyes a little -- go to the grocery stores and price the items you would normally buy in Ohio, look at the properties being advertised for rent in your price range (really look at them in person), try to drive somewhere during rush hour in Honolulu, etc, etc.

Regarding your question about jobs, I suggest that you subscribe to the on-line Honolulu paper and check classified ads there and on Craigslist. I have no idea where a psychologist/therapist would work (will you have any experience in three years or will you just be out of school?), but maybe you could call around to some of the places that may be of interest to you and ask them.

Regarding HVAC, I just googled "HVAC jobs Hawaii" and came up with some good websites. I suggest that you look through those to get an idea of the kinds of experience needed and the salaries being offered.

Your question about why schools are so bad in Hawaii has been discussed many times. Please do a forum search.

Nobody said anything about you looking to party or do drugs. We are trying to be helpful here and give you a realistic view of what it really takes to live in Hawaii. It's not like Ohio or Florida or anywhere on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM

16 posts, read 24,487 times
In 3 years I will have my bachelors degree and experience with my professors doing research and clinical studies. I would hopefully continue to get my Masters degree where ever we move. (and work) Trust me I'm taking everything you all say to heart. Its honestly very disappointing news. We will definitely come down visit for a while and check things out. We live in a small town in Ohio average median income it says it 30,000. I do understand thing will be way more expensive there. That is a big downer. I didn't say anyone said we was into drugs I was merely stating a fact I know your all being helpful and I am very appreciative of all the info I am receiving. This is just the start of our researching. I will also search for post about the schools.. Everywhere is becoming more and more expensive everything in Ohio has tripled do to the oil drillers being here. Its actually sad a Simple 3 bedroom home that would normally be 500 is now 1500 a month No utilities included. This increase has all happened in a years time. Any and all info welcome being disappointing or not. I want to be as best prepared as I can be.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,955,669 times
Quote:
Are there a lot of Jobs for Psychologist/therapist?
As you probably know, you can't be a clinical psychologist in Hawaii (and most states) without a Ph.D., and even being an Educational Psychologist requires a masters degree. Therapists like Marriage and Family Therapists also require a masters.
Sorry to say it, if you will only have a bachelors degree in 3 years, it's uncertain that you could even get a job in your field for a long, long time.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Well until I do get my masters I would want to assist a psychologist/therapist that is how you get your experience you need to get accepted into the masters program. Maybe Hawaii is different but that is how it is here. the last 4 years of the graduate program is 2 classes each year plus you need the experience so you have to be assisting working volunteering or all the above to continue in the program. again maybe its different there. If anyone knows for sure would love to hear about it.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Crisis Mobile Outreach, & Crisis Services Manager (Big Island-East Hawaii)

Here is an example of something that I would be interested in. Of course not at this time but something similar in 3 years. Don't know if that is even a real job listing but that would fit my qualification.. (in 3 years of course) I hope that kind of explains what I'm studying without going into complete details.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,955,669 times
Quote:
Well until I do get my masters I would want to assist a psychologist/therapist that is how you get your experience you need to get accepted into the masters program.
Have never ever heard of any assistant work needed to enter a masters program in psych. Most students go straight through. Some Ph.D. programs like to see volunteer and work, but not all even then. Trust me, there are a lot of Ph.D. students who have never even dealt with a real patient yet!

But most jobs, of course, like the one you sent, do want experience. Job sounds good. There are no psych hospitals on the Big Island so there has to be a lot of community-based intervention, which would be good for you, hopefully.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM

597 posts, read 1,435,756 times
Your field is so specialized and unfortunately your education isn't completed yet so you would have a hard time in Hawaii. There just aren't that many jobs there, especially these days.

I used to live in Hawaii (Birth through college) then I moved to Ohio (for a job and I hated it) and then I settled in Florida. I love Florida because we pay for State or City jobs and we have the warm weather and there are more jobs.

If I recall, I think Hawaii had the highest taxes on wages.

Good luck on your adventures

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,741,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
If I recall, I think Hawaii had the highest taxes on wages.
Not true- we used to have the highest tax on the highest earners - recently surpassed by California.

CalTax | Where Does California Rank?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. and yes I imagine you did hate Ohio its horrendous here.. I have been searching through the forums and reading A LOT. We wont decide anything until we visit first. any positive things that you could share would be great since everyone has been posting the negative. and that is okay cause that is reality but there has to be some good too. Beside of course the weather. I know that is amazing.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,578,860 times
I assume that you've read the lengthy thread titled "any positive experiences for mainlanders wanting to move to Hawaii". Quite a healthy discussion with almost 50 posts.

Basically, the positive things are what make people think they want to move to Hawaii. Gorgeous scenery, some of the best beaches in the world, nice people, and a beautiful culture. That's what makes Hawaii a great place to Visit.

Living in Hawaii is a very different thing. The realities of daily life are challenging, which is why you see so many "negative" posts. If you wanted to live at a ski resort in Colorado, it would be the same thing (high COL, low paying jobs, etc.) Hawaii's economy generally lags behind the mainland, so when we hear people say that they have a decent job where they're at but they don't like weather/traffic/crowds, then we tell them to stay because they probably aren't going to find that decent job in Hawaii.

We were lucky enough to be able to retire to Hawaii on a decent pension. I know that neither my husband nor I could have found jobs paying what we were making in Colorado, so we kept working there until we retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: