Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yeah i wouldn't call what hawaii has as the democratic party at all.
And yet, despite what you would call them, it is what they call themselves.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I won't argue here. The fact that "facts" are subject is something that made my head implode a long time ago. It has to do with going through reams of facts and trying to determine what is the truth. Welcome, and goodbye, to politics.
Yeah im greatful i don't work in goverment. Dont envy you.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 AM

47 posts, read 52,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No you most certainly have not. The current poor state of Hawaii is all the Democrats doing. They have been in power for over 50 years (house, senate, congress, mayor, governor, etc.).

Poor public schools, poor infrastructure, ad nauseam. It's an insulated system where nothing changes besides them patting each other's backs, nepotism, and corruption.
Grand Slam Homer right there, folks. No words every rung more true.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Facts aren't subjective. That's what makes them fact, that they are determined objectively.

But nothing in that is a fact... you've just got opposing theories there. That's not the same as hav

Yeah, I think that's unfortunate, because I do believe in a healthy 2 party system, with public representatives working together to hammer out the best solutions for all the people. And clearly there are criticisms of the Democrats in Hawai'i that are well earned.

But dropping a partisan grenade into a non-political discussion isn't cool.
She didn't say 'facts', she said '"facts"' - with quotation marks around them. One man's "fact" is another man's fallacy, but a fact, not a "fact", but a fact, is, indeed a fact.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yeah i wouldn't call what hawaii has as the democratic party at all.
What would you call it, if you were to call it something?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 AM

6 posts, read 6,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colabufo View Post
I hear all the talk on this forum about how expensive living in Hawaii is. I live in a really really expensive place, too - Long Island New york. I'm a good hour east of NYC, so it's not like manhattan is in my backyard, but it's still real expensive to live here. Just for fun, I often check websites for Hawaii real estate - both rentals and homes - and what I've seen on line looks substantially less expensive than where I live now: 2BR apts in the low 2000s, 2 or 3 bedroom condos in the upper 3's to low 4's - all cheaper than in my back yard.

Here is what my basic expenses are: 4BR house, about 2,000 sp. ft. on 1/2 acre (worth approx. $500K)- taxes $12,000 per year, electric bill about $250/month, gas (heat) about $225/month, cable/phone/internet about $200/month. In addition, wife and I drive a total of 30,000 miles per year, with gas approaching $4/gal that adds up. Another expense - my snow blower - which I used all day today after 28" of snow yesterday.

So how much worse is Hawaii than that ?? What would comparable expenses be in Hawaii ?? One note - I would not expect to have a 2,000 sq. ft. house in hawaii. 1,000 sq. ft. is fine, with lots of outdoor living.

Not looking to move, just looking for info.

Thanks
This is kind of a naive post. I'm from your neck of the woods, and I have to say for a New Yorker I'm surprised you'd fall for "checking websites for Hawai'i real estate" to give you a realistic picture. How much reality do you think is in those posts? Are you thinking those properties are actually available, and at the price they're listing?

Hawai'i is about twice as expensive as NYC. The prices of food, housing, etc. are similar but the pay rates are so incredibly low there is almost nothing you can do but work. And in terms of rentals, there is absolutely no market standard whatsoever. Landlords charge whatever they feel like because they know people are so desperately looking for an apartment, and many of them are suburban Americans living beyond their means who take out their financial woes on their renters. Utilities are insanely expensive and taxes are very high with little return for working people. Unprepared food is very expensive - at the grocery store down the street a loaf of bread goes for $7, ice cream is $11 for a quart and a small can of soup is $5. Prepared food is the same as everywhere else, so it actually pays to eat out.

Shall I go on? A good salary for a qualified, college-educated person is $9-10/hr if you're from the mainland, and $12/hr if you find the right staffing agency. If you're from Hawai'i you'll get hired for much better jobs and get paid a lot more, so complaints about the cost of living might be more from transplants than locals. I worked about 70-80 hours a week just to meet basic expenses before I wised-up and started working only for companies based on the mainland. Admittedly, I'm single and I like it that way, and a single woman is not really an acceptable entity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii