Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,841,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
What those stats show is that as a state, and a nation, we do not do enough to help children in poverty.
Agreed - but shame on those that bring children to Hawaii who can't afford to do so to live their dream.

This is so sad:

Fact: 25% of homeless are kids under 18

Fact: Over 10% of homeless have lived in Hawaii less than 1 year - since that is over 1,300 people, I bet some have kids.

Fact: Over 10% of the residents in Volcano are making less than the Federal Poverty Level - it is one of the poorest placest in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM

40 posts, read 113,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
With your background the contractors supporting the military bases will be your best bet. As far as I know, that would be SAIC, Booz Allen and Hamiltorn, General Dynamics, BAE Systems, CACI, etc. I do have a good contact at SAIC so if you DM me, I'll discuss further.
Moving Aloha thanks very much. For that much needed advice and support. I will pose the following question for you. Do you believe would here someone whose education is limited?

My computer knowledge is pretty good. But spent the last 3 years(came in at 17) as a law enforcement officer. Since I've been promoted I've spent the last 2 years in the supervisory role. Wondering if that will be enough experience to get most places.

I'm actively on USAjobs, actively on craigslist constantly looking for something that will be pretty decent while establishing residency.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM

40 posts, read 113,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Agreed - but shame on those that bring children to Hawaii who can't afford to do so to live their dream.

This is so sad:

Fact: 25% of homeless are kids under 18

Fact: Over 10% of homeless have lived in Hawaii less than 1 year - since that is over 1,300 people, I bet some have kids.

Fact: Over 10% of the residents in Volcano are making less than the Federal Poverty Level - it is one of the poorest placest in Hawaii.

Wow now this is actually scary to know. I knew about it before but the numbers are really what jumps at you.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,372,049 times
Quote:
Haters gotta hate, I spoze.

November 2012 the Census Bureau pegged Hawai'i's poverty rate at 17%, the seventh highest in the country.

For many years the percentage of people living below the poverty line in Pahoa has been about double the rate of Volcano. Looking past the raw statistics, many of the residents of the Pahoa area pursue alternative lifestyles, which do not involve high incomes. Volcano has a very different profile, with a number of residents living on low fixed incomes due to disability or retirement who have moved into the area to take advantage of Volcano's bargain housing costs.

Last edited by OpenD; 02-13-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,841,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
November 2012 the Census Bureau pegged Hawai'i's poverty rate at 17%, the seventh highest in the country.

For many years the percentage of people living below the poverty line in Pahoa has been about double the rate of Volcano. Looking past the raw statistics, many of the residents of the Pahoa area pursue alternative lifestyles, which do not involve high incomes. Volcano has a very different profile, with a number of residents living on low fixed incomes due to disability or retirement who have moved into the area to take advantage of Volcano's bargain housing costs.
Try 10.2% - of which, Volcano's is higher. Bargain housing is a stretch - shacks are more like it.

Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,372,049 times
Quote:
Try 10.2% - of which, Volcano's is higher. Bargain housing is a stretch - shacks are more like it.
Quote:
SA: A new federal calculation that takes into account Hawaii's high cost of living significantly boosts the state's poverty rate — from the 18th lowest in the nation to the seventh highest.

About 17 percent of Hawaii residents live in poverty, according to the new U.S. Census Bureau estimate, which is based on 2009-2011 averages.

The figure stands in contrast to the Census Bureau's official poverty rate for the islands: 12.5 percent for the same period.
Census Bureau: Hawaii 7th Highest Poverty Rate in US > Hawaii Free Press > Articles Main

Shacks in Volcano? Maybe a few, not many, but you do find that all over the island. The most prominent one is across the street from the Cooper Community Center, a source of constant irritation to a few of the "town fathers." But the owner, although mentally ill, is considered harmless, and his mess is tolerated by the county. And what isn't obvious to passers-by is that he owns several properties. Or that within a 5 minute walk are several million dollar homes.

What the census figures don't reflect, since about a third of the homes in Volcano are second homes, is the incomes of the wealthy, who seem to outnumber poor people in the area. It's an unusual mix that confounds casual analysis.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,800,983 times
Quote:

Did anyone think to check the EPA reports about water pollution in shoreline areas?
Are there many smokers in Volcano shacks? (Beside the obvious one.)
Does Affirmative Action play a role?
Are there dangerous curves on the road there?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM

406 posts, read 863,974 times
Quote:

Just remember, one man's shack is another man's mansion.

Mickey

Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 9,613 times
Default moving to hawaii ?

Aloha, I moved to HI from mainland, last year and em surviving without a problem, rent is expensive but there are deals to be had, and you dont need a car because of the public transportation system is just about perfect (although lots of tourists take up seats ). Before moving i did lots of research and i got lucky i used Mod cut: advertising was able to get leads on jobs and found one in 3 weeks, also they made sure my rental was real and not a scam from craigslist totally worth it, let me know if you have any more questions ? from the sound of it you have the right attitude and will do just fine

AlohaB

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,802,362 times
AlohaB, you've posted 5 times, and each time you've mentioned the same website.

Me thinks I smell someone who is advertising??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii