Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM

129 posts, read 389,855 times

Advertisements

Mr. Ellison badly needs to be protected from believing he's a king. He owns a lot of land, but in our form of government, he's just one voter.

I know the facts of life, that his money gives him power. But we have greater principles to respect.

Does Mr. Ellison actually live on Lanai? Is he a member of the community? How many lifelong residents can he claim as his friends? Who is he, that so much attention is being paid to what he wants for Lanai? What do other Lanai residents want?

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Ellison barely qualifies as a resident, if at all, let alone "the owner". He owns the largest parcels of land, he owns the bulk of the land, but even if he owned *all* the land, he wouldn't be sovereign over it. "Other people matter", Mr. Ellison.

Legally, his wishes matter no more than those of anyone else in Maui County. In my opinion, his wishes matter a lot less than those of the people who are lifelong and/or permanent, full time residents.

He may have all the good intentions in the world, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But nobody should think that because he has a lot of money, he is above the law. If he uses his money to do good, more power to him. But if he uses it like a bully, to feed his ego, to "own" the island his enemy was married on... he deserves to be rezoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
Mr. Ellison badly needs to be protected from believing he's a king.

But nobody should think that because he has a lot of money, he is above the law.
That seems like quite a leap of judgement.

Lanai would die a slow death without an investor - the last owner would losing an incredible amount of money - it was only a matter of time before the resorts shut down.

I'm open to other ideas - if not Larry Ellison - then who? Who had $600 million or whatever it is sitting around with more to invest to keep the island going.

I was in Lanai a few months ago - everyone was super excited - they felt like it was a real chance for the island to survive.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM

756 posts, read 714,349 times
A state-of-the-art desalination plant for irrigating organic farms ... expansion of the local solar farm to power the whole island ... a new movie theater ... and a bowling alley with an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, no less

Come on eureka1 ... show Larry some love...

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2013/02/maui-mayor-alan-arakawa-outlines-larry.html

Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 PM

129 posts, read 389,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That seems like quite a leap of judgement.

Lanai would die a slow death without an investor - the last owner would losing an incredible amount of money - it was only a matter of time before the resorts shut down.

I'm open to other ideas - if not Larry Ellison - then who? Who had $600 million or whatever it is sitting around with more to invest to keep the island going.

I was in Lanai a few months ago - everyone was super excited - they felt like it was a real chance for the island to survive.
Well, I was there many years ago when the plantation was still going, and it was boring then, so I can see the residents being excited by the prospect of pretty much anything happening.

I don't know what Mr. Ellison's motivations are, but it's usually NOT a good idea to have a community so completely dominated by one individual. Whatever he builds will be HIS, of course, and he doesn't owe the people of Lanai a living. I can see a dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship happening already. The people of Lanai need to create some jobs for themselves, not wait for some billionaire Santa to come along and make something for them to do.

I realize Lanai is depressed, but I don't see becoming dependent on one billionaire as a healthy condition, either.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
I don't know what Mr. Ellison's motivations are, but it's usually NOT a good idea to have a community so completely dominated by one individual.
On the other hand, there is a long tradition in Hawai'i of individuals and families owning huge swaths of land, and dominating the local community, with varying results and legacies. I think the only real limits on what he can do will be imposed by government agencies like the EPA.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
A state-of-the-art desalination plant for irrigating organic farms ... expansion of the local solar farm to power the whole island ... a new movie theater ... and a bowling alley with an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, no less

Come on eureka1 ... show Larry some love...

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2013/02/maui-mayor-alan-arakawa-outlines-larry.html
Amen - if someone with money and great ideas can harness the natural energy, bring in non-invasive industries, employ the current residents and enrich the lives of everyone there, why is there so much negativity on this thread? Especially by people who don't sound like they live in the islands?

Quote:
Well, I was there many years ago when the plantation was still going, and it was boring then, so I can see the residents being excited by the prospect of pretty much anything happening.

I don't know what Mr. Ellison's motivations are, but it's usually NOT a good idea to have a community so completely dominated by one individual. Whatever he builds will be HIS, of course, and he doesn't owe the people of Lanai a living. I can see a dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship happening already. The people of Lanai need to create some jobs for themselves, not wait for some billionaire Santa to come along and make something for them to do.

I realize Lanai is depressed, but I don't see becoming dependent on one billionaire as a healthy condition, either.
So you are saying you haven't been there in decades.
and you are saying you don't know Mr. Ellison or his motivations.
Then you make a leap that his motivations and the motivations of the residents must be suspect.

He is - by all accounts -- opening his arms and saying, "Let's make this island better. Who has ideas? Who has technology smarts? Let's do this together." Why is this a problem for you? What he is doing is a superb example of Leadership with a capital L. There are many Hollywood types who have gone into communities and taken over for their own ends. This appears (and again, I don't know him personally, but I do know many of the players,) to be an act of generosity and genuine caring for the community. Of course he wants to make money from it. That's called Capitalism. And up until 5 years ago, making a profit and being a capitalist were recognized as positive ways to lower unemployment, improve living conditions, and help a lot of people earn a living and pay their bills. I love Lanai. I want the best for everyone. I don't see a problem at all with the way this new infusion of money is being handled. Some wealthy people get to an age where they suddenly realize they have not left a legacy and they start to do things like this. Maybe that's true about Ellison. Maybe it isn't. But I'd like to at least give him a chance. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But let's not make him out to be a bad guy because he's desalinizing the water, putting in solar, and helping organic farms flourish!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Well, as expected, Larry picked off Island Air yesterday:

Oracle's Larry Ellison buys small Hawaii airline - SFGate

Most people can't even afford to pay cash for a stinkin' half-acre lot in Armpit Alabama and a used Chevy ... and this guy buys the sixth largest island in the Hawaiian chain and an interisland airline, to boot.

Must be awesome to have that kind of dough...

Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
W

Must be awesome to have that kind of dough...
And you would have that kind of dough if you had been as smart and worked as hard as he has.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you would have that kind of dough if you had been as smart and worked as hard as he has.
...and had the good luck to be where he was, when he was. Had he shown up on the scene 5 years earlier, or 5 years later, nobody might even know his name today.

For my part, I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. I thought this blurb from the SFGate article was pretty cool:

Quote:
Ellison told CNBC in an interview a few months later he envisions the 141-square-mile island near Maui becoming a "little laboratory" for experimenting with more environmentally sound ways to live.
His plans include converting sea water into fresh water, increasing the use of electric cars, and boosting fruit exports to Japan and other markets.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Got plenty of dough, 'smoke ... not to mention a Mensa-level IQ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: