Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,143 times

Advertisements

If a caucasian were to move to hawaii, would it be a big cultural transition to like natives and hula dancing and other unusual things? Or would it be pretty much like any other US state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM

438 posts, read 660,505 times
I moved here 27 years ago. It takes time to adjust.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Demographically Hawai'i is the most ethnically diverse state in the country. Whites are a minority, about 25% of the population overall. Keep in mind that "natives and hula dancing and other unusual things" are not unusual in Hawai'i. On the other hand, day in and day out, everyday life in Hawai'i is not strange, it's just different.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
If a caucasian were to move to hawaii, would it be a big cultural transition to like natives and hula dancing and other unusual things? Or would it be pretty much like any other US state?
I have a hard time parsing what "caucasian people like in the contiguous state" could possibly mean, but you may find this image educational. Try to guess what the colors represent, and then click on the picture for a middle school social studies refresher:

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I dunno, Kyron, that's a mainland map and doesn't work for Hawaii. They are calling out blue for Germans, Green for Irish and Purple for Italians, but in Hawaii we lump almost all of the groups they consider separate under one label of "haole". Hawaii doesn't see any difference between German, Italian, English or Irish, they are all "white" or "haole". We do see big differences between "Japanese" and "Chinese". Even between Japanese and Okinawan occasionally. Samoans are different than Tongans, etc., whereas to the mainland those would just all be "Asian" or some other generic label.

Back to the OP, Hawaii is not like any other state in the nation. Moving to Hawaii is almost like moving to a foreign country. You may have a better transition if you consider us a foreign nation since you won't be surprised when things aren't "done like they do back home". Hula dancing is normal and Hawaiian is one of our two official languages.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
The rampant cannibalism, and lack of A1 sauce at Costco take a little getting used to, but, other than that, it's like any other group of islands sitting in the middle of the specific ocean with a large population and limited resources.

Aloha po'o likeke

Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I dunno, Kyron, that's a mainland map and doesn't work for Hawaii. They are calling out blue for Germans, Green for Irish and Purple for Italians, but in Hawaii we lump almost all of the groups they consider separate under one label of "haole".
My point is the seemingly implicit idea that the mainland is somehow ubiquitously "caucasian" is hilarious (and kind of offensively ignorant). But yeah you make a good point. Anyone who would describe the mainland that way might not make out too well living someplace with less white privilege.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM

129 posts, read 389,738 times
LOL, I like the red states ancestry: "American". I don't think they mean Native American, however.

How long does it take to get used to the culture? It depends entirely on your own self. Some people are "hetero-cultural" and really like mixing with people of different nationalities, cultures, races, etc. Others are more comfortable with their "own kind".

Contemporary Hawaiian culture is open to all colors and backgrounds. Anybody can play, and it is on the basis of cultural assimilation, not race or color or origin, that a person is accepted. There's always a certain amount of racial teasing and harassment, but everybody gets the short end of it -- not just "white people".

I'm from a mainland haole background, but feel completely comfortable and accepted as a local. As to the matter of "getting used to it", just be glad there IS something to "get used to". Here on the mainland, everybody seems to be a rootless drifter with no attachment to the place they call their home town. The sense of community and belonging to "a people" is so much stronger in Hawaii than it is on the mainland. A certain amount of culture shock is going to happen, but it's worth enduring.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
The rampant cannibalism, and lack of A1 sauce at Costco take a little getting used to, but, other than that, it's like any other group of islands sitting in the middle of the specific ocean with a large population and limited resources.
So true and also, here on Maui there's a Huge tribe of really Old hippies that wander aimlessly thru the Friday Festivals, Costco, just everywhere - you bump into them a lot and that takes awhile to get used to.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
LOL, I like the red states ancestry: "American". I don't think they mean Native American, however.
I've noticed that in Appalachian southern states as well. I think they are basically Scots-Irish or British, but been in those hills so long, they just feel no association whatsoever with British Isles ancestory. Just my take on that though.

I've always found it weird as well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii