Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
I swore that I would not post on this threat...but...I am weak...I admitt it! I love this thread...this is just pure entertainment...keep on responding boys (please talk a little about how he "don't even study or concentrate")...I love it!!VanHa
I assume the OP is from the French part of Canada, because his English is terrible. I hope the guidance counselor suggests grammar classes. This would help him in college in Hawaii. Not too much French spoken in Oahu.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

35 posts, read 73,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I assume the OP is from the French part of Canada, because his English is terrible. I hope the guidance counselor suggests grammar classes. This would help him in college in Hawaii. Not too much French spoken in Oahu.
yes. talking is not a problem, i do this without any difficulty , but y'all are right about the grammar sorry about that.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

35 posts, read 73,603 times
i am sorry i just though maybe there was someone out there that has been studying to Hawaii while he was not a resident of Hawaii , and knew something.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastagol View Post
yes. talking is not a problem, i do this without any difficulty , but y'all are right about the grammar sorry about that.
Funny, I've never heard a Canadian say "y'all". Perhaps you picked that up from Tennessee Jo?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Funny, I've never heard a Canadian say "y'all". Perhaps you picked that up from Tennessee Jo?
Y'all is Canadian...don't you know that!! To be more specific...it's French Canadian...as in "y'all poo poo no!!. Y'all gotta know that I'm having a melt down over this!

Please keep it coming I am working the night shift and I need the entertainment.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
If Hawaii doesn't work out. Go to school in Florida. It's easier and less expensive.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Well, moving to Hawaii and living there for a year without being a student would set you up as a resident so you could get the resident-in-state tuition. If you don't get accepted after living in Hawaii for a year, well, you got to live in Hawaii for a year. That should be fun. Dunno how you're gonna manage the year in Hawaii first, though, but maybe if you did the math it would work out so much less expensive that you could talk whoever is paying the tuition into it.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
I swore that I would not post on this threat...but...I am weak...I admitt it! I love this thread...this is just pure entertainment...keep on responding boys (please talk a little about how he "don't even study or concentrate")...I love it!!
I know just how you feel, my "few seconds" keeps rebounding. Mostly, it is for the benefit of a future person who pulls up the archives.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Unless you are a US citizen or a legal resident permanently admitted to the USA, you will not be able to go to Hawaii for a year and work. If you go to college in Hawaii, it will be on a student visa and they won't give you a student visa unless you are actually a student. You can not get a work visa to go and work in Hawaii, unless you haves some really in-demand job skill and no US citizen has that skill to fill that job.

As a foreign national, you will not be eligible for any financial aid, unless the country of Canada has financial aid for its citizens who are going to study abroad.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, moving to Hawaii and living there for a year without being a student would set you up as a resident so you could get the resident-in-state tuition.
It's not that simple. For instance, receiving non-trivial financial support from non-resident parents disqualifies a student from claiming resident tuition. And they require documentation to prove a claim is valid, such as bank statements, lease documents, and parent's tax returns. Here's a partial quote from the residency requirements doc (emphasis added):

A student is deemed a resident of the State of Hawaiʻi for tuition purposes if the student (19 or older) or the student (under 19) and his/her parents or legal guardians have:

1. Demonstrated intent to permanently reside in Hawaiʻi (see below for evidences)

2. Been physically present in Hawaiʻi for the 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of instruction, and subsequent to the demonstration of intent to make Hawaiʻi his/her legal residency; and

3. The student, whether adult or minor, has not been claimed as a dependent for tax purposes for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of instruction by his/her parents or legal guardians who are not legal residents of Hawaiʻi.

To demonstrate the intent to make Hawaiʻi your legal residency, the following evidence apply:

1. Filing Hawaiʻi resident personal income tax return.
2. Voting/registering to vote in the State of Hawaiʻi.

Other evidence, such as permanent employment and ownership or continuous leasing of a dwelling in Hawaiʻi, may apply, but no single act is sufficient to establish residency in the State of Hawaiʻi.

And there is more... they've tightened up their requirements, especially in regards to documentation.

Establishing Residence in the State of Hawaii for Tuition Purposes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: