Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I have not taken them to the beach because they have those signs that say no domesticated animals, are they like the speed limit signs on the highway - locals ignore?
I've never seen a sign like that (but, maybe I've just not paid attention) - here in Kailua - Oahu, dogs are very common on the beach - as in at least 10+ any given day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 AM

36 posts, read 57,215 times
Our two dogs and cat absolutely love the move, they get to spend more time out in the yard eating avocadoes and papayas. I used to worry about them getting into trouble with skunks, bears, coyotes and other wildlife. The cat gets Revolution, while the dogs get Heartguard and Frontline. So far ticks, fleas and Heartworm have been kept at bay, I would recommend getting any animal started on those preventative med, especially for Heartworm. It is not a pleasant experience having a dog succumb to that ailment.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I have not taken them to the beach because they have those signs that say no domesticated animals, are they like the speed limit signs on the highway - locals ignore?
Dogs are allowed on some beaches, not on others.

Here's an Oahu oriented list including details and tips, compiled by the Hawaiian Humane Society. Dog Friendly Beaches | Hawaiian Humane Society

Hawaii State Parks says:

Quote:
PETS and other animals are prohibited wherever posted, and are not allowed in restaurants, pavilions, swimming areas, campgrounds, lodges, or on beaches. Where permitted, pets are to be crated, caged, on a 6-foot or shorter leash or otherwise under physical restrictive control at all times. Horses prohibited unless otherwise posted. Please clean up after your pet.
Hawaii State Parks > Park Rules
Hawai'i County Code:
Quote:
Hawai'i County Code:
Section 4-18. Places prohibited to animals, including dogs and cats.
(a) Except as otherwise provided, it shall be unlawful for any person to take or permit any dog, cat, or other
domestic animal, whether loose or on a leash or in restraint on or about any County beach park or any
establishment or place of business where food or food products are sold or displayed, including but not
limited to restaurants, grocery stores, meat markets, fruit or vegetable stores.
(b) This section shall not apply to “Seeing Eye” dogs or other dogs necessarily utilized for the benefit of
handicapped persons or to dogs used for purposes of law enforcement by law enforcement agencies of the
Federal, State or County governments.
(c) There shall be a penalty of not more than $50 for each violation of this section.
(1980, Ord. No. 510, sec. 2; Am. 1980, Ord. No. 579, sec. 11; Am. 1986, Ord. No. 86-34, sec. 3.)4
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/countycode/

Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Our German Shepherd had pannus (an eye disease) in Alaska. Pannus is normally aggravated by exposure to sunlight and we were worried about bringing her to Hawaii. She also had bad allergies. Since moving to Hawaii her pannus and allergies have disappeared.

You will have to treat your dogs for ticks, fleas, heartworms, and intestinal worms in Hawaii. We use Revolution because it's one drug that treats all of them. We have three dogs so it is EXPENSIVE. Some people resist treating their dogs with chemicals. But it is better than what the parasites would do to them. Fleas aren't just a nuisance, they spread tapeworms and diseases to your animals. Ticks seem to either be a problem, or not. I think it depends on where you are. Obviously if your dog travels with you around the island they risk for exposure will be greater. Since virtually every public space, parks, and beach in Hawaii has a ban on even leashed dogs, you will probably be leaving your dog at home more often since you can't let it bake in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: