Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,540,064 times

Advertisements

Everyone who's lived here for a few years must have at least one, if not a dozen, stories which are unique to Hawaii, and more than likely couldn't take place on the mainland. Seeing as luau and kalua pork has just been brought up, here's a story from 1976.....Already posted on Mauiniuolelo
I was fortunate enough to be adopted by the Akina family when I moved here as a young guy. Uncle Willie Akina decided to start having luaus on his property in Kihei, and sell tickets for the event. So I'm elected to accompany Kahale and Kaiwe down to Spencers pig farm mauka of Sudas Store in north Kihei to pick up the pig for the luau. Spencer already has the pig hogtied, we get it into the back of an old pickup truck, with me in the back of the truck. I'm to keep the rope tight, and keep my feet on the pig, so it can't break loose. Kahale and Kaiwe decide to stop at Azekas Store and get some beer. They're inside the store, the pig, an easy 200 pounds, and sensing it's impending doom, starts going lolonui, crazy, breaks loose, gets out of the back of the truck, and is semi-running around the parking lot. So here's one pig going nuts, trying to shake off the ropes, and two Hawaiians and one Haole trying to catch the peed off porker. We finally get it back into the truck, and up to Uncle Willies to slaughter it. Kahales daughter, Meilani, about 9 years old at the time, insists that her dad can't kill that pig. Anyways, that pig lived to a ripe old age, and we had to go back to Spencers and get a pig that was already butchered. Only in Hawaii......

Aloha and okolemaluna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,352,614 times
got to tell you, you got some unreal stories. lol.

i was told by my realtor in hilo that another agent adopted a feral piglet up at mauna loa estates. it is a half breed--half wild and half domesticated. anyway, the little thing was so darned cute that she kept it and is still raising it. took it to the vet recently and it now ways over 500lbs. no imu (underground oven) for this guy. it's now a beloved pet.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,286,298 times
Speaking of pigs...we ended up with about 6 little piglets running through our back yard earlier this year...It was cute until they were a few hundred pounds and I turned around one day to find one right behind me when I was weeding around the ti trees in my back yard.

I called Forestry to see what could be done. The person I spoke with gave me the number of someone who could bring a trap to set up in the yard. Local guy with his son, about 6 (?), stopped by one day and set the trap and filled it with mac nuts. He came by every few days after work and replaced the nuts with more nuts or papaya. Once we figured out when they were coming into the yard, we let him know. One day when I was at work, my SO called, very sad, and told me that the man and a few friends had come by and trapped the pigs. I still don't understand how exactly it all worked out.

But they didn't ask for any payment...just the pigs. Again, I didn't ask. This was a bit difficult for my SO, who witnessed the event, as he is an animal lover. But we were very greatful for their assistance and willingness to help! And I've seen no pigs since then in our area.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM

like you said, they're cute when they're babies. but, what do you do when they turn into a BIG BABY? yikes!

my SO grew up on a dairy (o'ahu) and had a PET BULL?! says that he was the most gentle creature?! i don't believe a word of that. wants to get a pot belly. i hear that those can get pretty heavy, too?!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,540,064 times
Friend of mine had a 38' sailboat on Maui back in the late 70's. We'ld get some folks together, charter the boat and sail to Lanai, camp at Manele Bay for a few days. There were public restrooms, showers, BBQ pits there, pretty nice, don't even know if camping is allowed there any longer. We've been there a day or so, staying up really late at night, some guys had camped way down from us, were on Lanai for a turkey hunt. They weren't having much success. Around sunrise, on the day we were going to sail back to Maui, I'm in my sleeping bag, half moi moi, look up, and here's the turkey hunters, all dressed in camouflaged stuff, bow and arrows at the ready, heading out. I kind of drift back to sleep, hear some wierd sounds, there's about 15 turkeys cruising up the beach, about 5 minutes behind the fearless turkey hunters, wonder who was hunting who??????

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,276 times
Tell your SO that once pigs roam loose, they turn feral and ruin landscape and are bringing in avian malaria and other diseases that are killing off the endangered birds in Hawaii. I hunt feral pigs in Texas and those hogs are very dangerous. They can stab, bite, slash with their tusks. They kill dogs regularly and have bitten off fingers, broken hands, etc. They are not domesticated like the Babe the pig in that movie. That pig was very tame. Most pigs are not like Babe and it would be to your SO's benefit to realize this. Best of luck.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,286,298 times
Windward Oahu Fishermen Catch Feral Pig - Video - KITV Honolulu (http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/video/14551831/index.html - broken link)

Speaking of pigs!! Hawaii was briefly on CNN.com's main page this afternoon...See the video by clicking above. There is a commercial first, but it's worth watching to the end of the clip!!

"I thought he was saying 'fish, fish'....."

Only in Hawaii!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Tell your SO that once pigs roam loose, they turn feral and ruin landscape and are bringing in avian malaria and other diseases that are killing off the endangered birds in Hawaii. I hunt feral pigs in Texas and those hogs are very dangerous. They can stab, bite, slash with their tusks. They kill dogs regularly and have bitten off fingers, broken hands, etc. They are not domesticated like the Babe the pig in that movie. That pig was very tame. Most pigs are not like Babe and it would be to your SO's benefit to realize this. Best of luck.
is it possible for the avian flu to cross species?

will agree with you though, that they are very destructive. the forests are suffering and the somebody hired hunters from new zealand to help control the feral population on moloka'i. the local hunters aren't too happy.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 11-09-2007 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: added sentence

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Windward Oahu Fishermen Catch Feral Pig - Video - KITV Honolulu (http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/video/14551831/index.html - broken link)

Speaking of pigs!! Hawaii was briefly on CNN.com's main page this afternoon...See the video by clicking above. There is a commercial first, but it's worth watching to the end of the clip!!

"I thought he was saying 'fish, fish'....."

Only in Hawaii!
that was great!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,580 times
Aloha everyone, This is my first time posting here, but what got my attention is jungjohann :>). I remember those good old time your speaking about.
I have a question for jungjohann, do you still live in Hawaii or on Maui? 2nd and last question is I saw something posted that you have or someone had written a book? Any how Kids fighting and no can think now. I will come back at a later time.
Mahalo for all you stories.

Aloha,
Meilani
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii