Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM

14 posts, read 32,521 times

Advertisements

I'd love any first-hand information regarding the private schools on the Big Island and Maui. We previously lived on Maui 10 years ago, but without children. We now have 2 kids (6 and 3). Our oldest has been placed in the gifted program, and I feel like from what I have been reading, Hawaii public schools would not be a good fit for our child. Homeschooling could be an option, but I'd prefer to have the rich, social interactions that I feel traditional school provides.

I'd love information regarding specific schools, any social problems/issues re: transplants that has been felt/experienced by others at a particular school, how they teach students that need more advanced curriculum, etc. I'd truly appreciate any honest feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Wecome. To help answer your questions, could you tell us:

1)What is your annual budget for tuition?

2)If you place one child in private school for the educational opportunities, would you also place the second child in private school? [Do you need to find somewhere with a good public school plus private school nearby, due to finances? Or will both children go to the same school? Because one is quote "gifted", does that mean you'll put more money into their education and not the same for the other child? Or, are you just looking for the best educational opportunity and a good public school would fit?]

3)How long do you intend on living in Hawaii once you move back?

4)What are your plans if one child is accepted into a private school and the other one is not? Many of the private schools are competitive for enrollment space.

5)Just what does "gifted" mean at 6 years old? Those terms are used loosely in Hawaii, depending on who is giving the "gifted" designation. What was the criteria for labeling the child "gifted", and the credentials of the person(s) who has made that designation?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM

CyberCity, thanks for your response. We'll spend what is necessary to achieve the desired education for the children (I've looked at the costs). We would send them to the same school (if both are accepted). Optimally, this would be a permanent move, but our children are our first priority, so if the educational opportunities/experiences don't meet our expectations, we would move. Of course, this would be highly undesirable as uprooting the children would be very disruptive for them. Our oldest was placed in the G/T program through our school district. They test all children and if they score extremely high on 2 nationally recognized IQ exams, creativity tests, observations, etc., they are given G/T designation which allows them to time with a G/T trained teacher who provides additional, deeper educational investigations/learning opportunities for these children.

If you know of some private schools that would be appropriate--challenging, engaging, dynamic, welcoming--I'd love to hear more about them. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
I can give input on some West Hawaii options. The tuition rates are different, but if a budget limit is not a consideration, then it leaves things very open for you.

HPA on Hawaii Island in Waimea is known for being a great private school.

Parker School in Waimea enjoys a good reputation also.

Waimea Country School in Waimea is a small elementary school. I do not know of any current students, but in years past it delivered a good basic education with a homey environment.

Acceptance into these private schools in not automatic, it is competitive (some more than others) for space.

But take note that there are many students who do well in some public schools (depending on the school admin/teachers/policies, and on the student, and on parental involvement). But as you've gathered, some public schools are very under-performing.

Hawaii public schools do offer G/T programs, which offer additional educational exposure to students. I have had some of my children in the G/T programs in Hawaii. Speaking from experience with a Hawaii G/T program, I'd NOT use the G/T program involvement as any sort of predictor of : (1) how the student will test for private school entrance, (2) how the student will do in a private school setting, nor (3) an indicator that private school is necessary [IF the area's public school is well-performing]. In other words, unless your school district has some special G/T criteria that is substantially different than Hawaii's, I'd not use it for my main guidance on the educational path for my child.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks, CyberCity. Anyone else out there that has some personal experience and could share re: some of the private schools in Hawaii? I'm able to look up stats, reviews online, etc. I'd just really like to hear it from those that have some details to share from their experiences (or others that they have known) that attended some island private schools. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I can give input on some West Hawaii options. The tuition rates are different, but if a budget limit is not a consideration, then it leaves things very open for you.

[URL="http://www.hpa.edu/"]HPA[/URL] on Hawaii Island in Waimea is known for being a great private school.

[URL="http://www.parkerschool.net/"]Parker[/URL] School in Waimea enjoys a good reputation also.

[URL="http://www.waimeacountryschool.org/"]Waimea Country[/URL] School in Waimea is a small elementary school. I do not know of any current students, but in years past it delivered a good basic education with a homey environment.

Acceptance into these private schools in not automatic, it is competitive (some more than others) for space.

But take note that there are many students who do well in some public schools (depending on the school admin/teachers/policies, and on the student, and on parental involvement). But as you've gathered, some public schools are very under-performing.

Hawaii public schools do offer G/T programs, which offer additional educational exposure to students. I have had some of my children in the G/T programs in Hawaii. Speaking from experience with a Hawaii G/T program, I'd NOT use the G/T program involvement as any sort of predictor of : (1) how the student will test for private school entrance, (2) how the student will do in a private school setting, nor (3) an indicator that private school is necessary [IF the area's public school is well-performing]. In other words, unless your school district has some special G/T criteria that is substantially different than Hawaii's, I'd not use it for my main guidance on the educational path for my child.

Good luck.
Gr3eat Post

Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Where will you live? In Kona we have Innovations Charter School, Kona Christian Academy, Hualalai Academy, West Hawaii Explorations Academy charter school and Makua Lani Christian School. I have friends with kids in all these schools, and they are happy with them. There are also quite a few people who home school their children including my daughter whose daughter is 16 and just finished her 2nd year of an internet based home school program which they like very much. Pretty much any alternative to the public schools is a good one in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Doe anyone know a good private school in Maui?. My daughter will be going to 4th grade. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii