Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
For you.

If I had meant toasted sesame seed oil I would have said toasted sesame seed oil. I didn't because that isn't what I meant. Sesame seed oil is a cooking oil, light in color and mild flavored, sold in large bottles, and not terribly expensive. Like this, $8/16 oz.: Spectrum Naturals Sesame Oil | drugstore.com

Toasted sesame oil (aka Asian sesame oil) is a flavoring condiment, not a cooking oil, sold in small bottles, pricey, and used sparingly, like a few drops in a big bowl of noodles. Like this: Loriva Toasted Sesame Oil, 8 oz - Best Price

To me it seemed obvious what I was talking about. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Says you. Taste is highly subjective.

Says you. Taste is infinitely variable.

Some people like their poke with no shoyu at all, but I prefer the style called ahi shoyu poke. When I pick up already made ahi poke at the store I always have to add shoyu "to my taste." So I suggested what I like. I trust that people can judge for themselves what they like. Some might think what I suggested is way too light on the chile peppers, or needs seaweed, or whatever their own taste is. Some think the cubes of fish should be 3/4", not 1/2". As far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

What does bother me is your hostility. There really is no need for it at all, and it is exactly the kind of nastiness that ruins the tone of this forum whenever it pops up. Where is your aloha? If you have a recipe you like better, post it. That would be a positive action, not one based in negativity.

I don't pretend anything, and I readily admit I don't know everything. I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less... and I'm someone who likes to be of service to others and to be helpful and supportive. I've long subscribed to the view that life is a perpetual climb up an endless ladder, and that you only have to be one step behind someone else to be able to learn from them, and one step ahead of someone else to be able to lend a hand and teach them whatever you do know. Most people seem to appreciate what I have to contribute here. A few don't. Oh, well... can't please everyone!

Here, a recipe you might like better than what I posted... from Hawaii Magazine... hey, hey, only half as much shoyu! And 2 teaspoons of oil instead of the 3 I suggested (3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon). Adds grated ginger, which I often use myself, and optionally crushed macadamia nuts.

Make Hawaii-style ahi poke wherever you are. Here's a recipe. by Kalei Talwar | HAWAII Magazine |

Gotta admit OD, no one can quite over answer a non-question quite the way you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Mahalo Open and Kaimuki u helped me out alot.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Gotta admit OD, no one can quite over answer a non-question quite the way you do
What can I say, JJ, it's just part of my special charm.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Aloha, i just had to post this, u know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when u switch phone carriers and they have a free music download service as part of your package(something like 25000 songs) and i cant find anything Hawaiian or from Hawai'i except the decendents soundtrack.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Aloha today i thought i would change track just this once. How about you know your local when this happens, from a different person.

U know your from Hawaii when....(its long) - Minitokyo

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Jesus is there anyone from Hawai'i that moved to the mainland that has had to change some habits or had humorous things happen like

U know your from Hawai''i and living in the mainland, when a friend calls after 10pm and asks what your doing? And you say your staying up late to watch the game..
I first moved to the mainland when I was 19 and joined the Navy. At boot camp I was asked by 4 different people if I lived in a grass hut. They were shocked when I told them my childhood home is valued at 950K

Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I first moved to the mainland when I was 19 and joined the Navy. At boot camp I was asked by 4 different people if I lived in a grass hut. They were shocked when I told them my childhood home is valued at 950K
Oh so im not unique lmao, go navy brah, mahalo for the post.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 AM

Is it me or do locals, Natives Hawai'ians think really different then there mainland counterparts, i know for me personally i do. But what do you think? What examples do you have?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Is it me or do locals, Natives Hawai'ians think really different then there mainland counterparts, i know for me personally i do. But what do you think? What examples do you have?
I'm stalking you. Not really. Thought I'd say a few things.

First, I think I have a packet of that poke mix. Second, I have li-hing packets. Third, I may have crack seed too. And lastly, I have dark sesame oil. Haha. Dang, if you can find the nori and teri sauce, I'll bring the rice, Spam, and spam cutter and mold. Check this out. I'm probably your best friend right now. Really? You can't find this stuff up here? Am I going to have to bring stuff back from CA/HI?

The biggest thing I see that is different is "obligation". People from Hawaii are always willing to help out, pitch in, do what they can for friends/family (and even people they don't know). They feel obligated to do it, but it's part of the culture. To the point where it can become a big problem. But they all help one another out. The mainland people, they're not like that so much. They'll help, until they don't want to anymore.

I remember at my family reunion, after it was done. All the kids were cleaning up the auditorium...except all the mainland kids. They finally got up, but it's just not in them to immediately start pitching in, etc. BTW, I'm the kotonk and we were so embarrassed because we didn't realize what everyone was doing for awhile.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM

@psichick

Lol, ok the bidding starts lol, i put up my second born for crackseed! And for the poke mix a weeks worth of man slave duties lol. (my girl won't like it but we talking POKE mix! Anyone go higher(grrrrr you do i will hunt you down)

Na no need to be embarrassed, we all had to learn, hawai'i is not the mainland in customs, etc.

I can't tell you how many times my auntie had to slap me upside the my head to teach me maner and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii