Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Did you know Hawai'i was the first to do this with social services?

Homelessness | Neil Abercrombie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Another First but it was not good news. Is it still like this?

Hawaii: Scolded for Furlough Fridays | Mother Jones

God forbid Hawaii raise taxes on the super rich upper strata to pay for education. Nope, the best solution was deemed to be furlough Fridays for state and county workers (though only 2 furloughs per month for Maui County).

And no, cutting teacher salaries isn't what was necessary. Hawaii teachers don't get paid jack. They could double their salaries at some mainland school districts.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Is Hawaii'i the most liberal state in the country? And what makes it so liberal? Interesting info for someone who wants to transplant(move)
It certainly is one of the most backwards and poorly-managed states around.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It certainly is one of the most backwards and poorly-managed states around.
Lmfao its funny u mentioned backwards. I heard that term used for more then just politics regarding anything from Hawai'i from Mainlanders!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 PM

I ran into this piece of info and it is sad. But Hawai'i is first in that

Hawaii has lost more species and has more endangered species than any other state in the United States. Nearly all of the state’s native birds are in danger of becoming extinct.

Of topic but interesting and sad. This is way progress and growth without responsible management and keeping ppl accountable is disastrous.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Is Hawaii'i the most liberal state in the country? And what makes it so liberal? Interesting info for someone who wants to transplant(move)
One thing to know about liberal governments is that they do not allow citizens to defend themselves. So, something to keep in mind, if that happens to be important to you.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM

129 posts, read 389,855 times
Quote:
Both terms "conservative" and "liberal" have been gutted of all reasonable meaning by certain sociopaths who make their living by getting people to hate each other on radio talk shows. I don't need to mention names.

Also, the politics of Hawaii are significantly influenced by the racial demographics, the large military presence, the now mostly gone plantation economy, the location, the history of the islands.

In the past, Democrats were the "conservative" party, if the word means "keep things as they are". They held a near-monopoly on politics, and for several election cycles, the most important race in the state was the Democratic primary for Lt. Governor -- because the winner would eventually become governor. Lingle broke that pattern, and good for it. Republicans at the time would run as an alternative to the Democratic machine. A person who might be a yellow dog democrat on the mainland might find himself voting for Republicans, in protest against the Democratic monopoly.

In short, the political views of individuals are not as partisan and stereotypical as they are on the mainland, and the mainland political paradigm does not offer a useful perspective on island politics.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Isnt Hawai"i one of the only states that legalised same sex unions? Or wasnt it the first state to have a universal heathcare system? both very libral Current gov aside what else is liberal?
Several years ago, a same-sex couple sued the state for the right to obtain a marriage license. They took their case to the state supreme court, which ruled that since the state constitution guarantees equal rights for men and women, a man had the same right to marry a man, as a woman did.

The legislature acted upon that decision, but I'm not up on the details or current situation. Just offering the reason it became the first to allow them. And I think it didn't last, but is now legal, but I really don't know.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Define liberal?
Bad.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
Several years ago, a same-sex couple sued the state for the right to obtain a marriage license. They took their case to the state supreme court, which ruled that since the state constitution guarantees equal rights for men and women, a man had the same right to marry a man, as a woman did.

The legislature acted upon that decision, but I'm not up on the details or current situation. Just offering the reason it became the first to allow them. And I think it didn't last, but is now legal, but I really don't know.
Same sex marriage is not legal in Hawaii. Only civil unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii