Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Hawaiian By Heart, I am going to ask you a very important question and even though you usually never really answer the questions that people post here to you, PLEASE answer this one.

What percentage of people that actually live in Hawaii today do you think agree with you that Hawaii should be given back to the Native Hawaiians?

(I know there is no way of knowing for sure but please just take a moment, sit down and try to seriously give thought to this. Then please give us your best estimate.)
Your barking up the wrong tree my friend, its not a popularity contest but what you feel is right, legal or just. Further giving Hawai'i back to kanaka maoli is just one solution. For me personally it about giving the kanaka maoli a right to self-determination. With the information we have, it easy to see that the citzens of the Hawai'ian Kingdom never even had a vote. None for annxation when it was clear that majority were opposed(anti annx petition

Continue next post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Continued from my last post:

(anti annx petition signed by majority presentted to congress)

The vote of statehood was based on majority so i ask? How is that self determination? The kanaka maoli were 15% of the population by then? They could of all voted against statehood and lost? The only example of kanaka maoli voting for statehood was one district that was all kanaka maoli and they votted 90% no and 10% yes. further there was no other option besides statehood or remain annexed.

So how is that reasonable? Its the citzens of the kingdom of hawaii that were losing there goverment, kingdom etc. Now if today they votted to remain a state in america i would be ok with that because we gave them self determination.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 PM

31 posts, read 26,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Your barking up the wrong tree my friend, its not a popularity contest but what you feel is right, legal or just. Further giving Hawai'i back to kanaka maoli is just one solution. For me personally it about giving the kanaka maoli a right to self-determination. With the information we have, it easy to see that the citzens of the Hawai'ian Kingdom never even had a vote. None for annxation when it was clear that majority were opposed(anti annx petition

Continue next post
You speak like the KM are slaves now, chattel to some master. Unable to master even the tiniest part of their lives. That is utter BS. How do you figure that only by stealing Hawaii from the U.S. and the people thereof, and giving it to them, would they able to have Self Determination?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
I use my own logic and common sense, and, of course, the lessons of history. Statehood was the best thing ever to happen to Hawaii.

Anyone disagree??
We have always said that about the native. Then we outlaw there languages, culture beliefs then we take there land and push them to one place or another. We even setup Indian Goverment Schools to take the native out of the indian because thats the best way to assimulate them into our society. While in the schools native children were beat for speaking there languages or practicing there religious beliefs, native girls were raped and sexually assaulted, some were murdered this continued to modern times. We have elders today in the native american community who wont speak a word of the languages or teach the culture because of the PTSD experienced by the abuse and punishment. So today we see tribes languages and customs die off. All in the name of capitalist america being always the best thing for natives.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM

31 posts, read 26,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Nah, itʻs all in "good fun."

I was hoping that he learned how to properly defend his "perspective" after all this time. It doesn't take much effort to research Kenneth R. Conklin and use his stuff to attempt to defend an anti-Hawaiian sovereignty viewpoint.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
As I read this I say to myself. What logical person cares what people on the 1890s thought. It's 2014, that's what we should be thinking about. And 95%+ (or more) could care less about the 1890s.

It's kind of like being obsessed with Hawaii in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, I mean, who cares. It's done. Poof.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Your barking up the wrong tree my friend, its not a popularity contest but what you feel is right, legal or just...
The vote of statehood was based on majority so i ask? How is that self determination? The kanaka maoli were 15% of the population by then? They could of all voted against statehood and lost?...

So how is that reasonable? Its the citzens of the kingdom of hawaii that were losing there goverment, kingdom etc. Now if today they votted to remain a state in america i would be ok with that because we gave them self determination.
Again, you side stepped yet another question. But from what you did write it looks like you think it is fair and just for a very small percentage of the people to overrule the overwhelming majority. In what kind of crazy world is that fair and just?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As I read this I say to myself. What logical person cares what people on the 1890s thought. It's 2014, that's what we should be thinking about. And 95%+ (or more) could care less about the 1890s.

It's kind of like being obsessed with Hawaii in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, I mean, who cares. It's done. Poof.
Ok, your obviously not paying attention ok, its not 1890s, when today Hawaiian people are collectively deciding how to best mitigate the impact of those events.

Why should you care? Your only concern is your property value or what you might personally lose.

If you Caucasians have gone thru half of what you put on others, there wouldnt be oh it happened in 1890s, it would be why hasn't the national gaurd been called or the marines! You would be screaming at the top of your voices. How do i know that is the truth? Not because im racist, but like this truth in Hawai'i, why does every island in Hawai'i have problems with Coquí frogs but Oahu?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Again, you side stepped yet another question. But from what you did write it looks like you think it is fair and just for a very small percentage of the people to overrule the overwhelming majority. In what kind of crazy world is that fair and just?
Actually let's take it one step further.

How about all the "locals" who would lose their rights? Ha ha ha, can't wait to hear how how it's fair to the "locals". This should be good.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
If you Caucasians have gone thru half of what you put on others, there wouldnt be oh it happened in 1890s, it would be why hasn't the national gaurd been called or the marines!...Not because im racist...

I sure hope not since you are half Caucasian. It would be awful to think that you hate 50% of yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii