U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,310,666 times

Advertisements

I live in south Florida and we are in the midst of our rainy season. Rains pretty much every afternoon.

Morning will be warm and sunny and humid
afternoons will be HOT sunny, clouds building
later afternoon crazy thunderstorms and downpours...rains like crazy
evening- clouds clear give way to clearer skies and a bit cooler temps.

next day repeat.

Being that I've never been to Hawaii, what is the rainy seasonlike there? Is it smiilar to what I've just described?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 11,425,930 times
Similar but no thunder or wind. Usually just a steady downpour of varying degrees (often the higher elevations get harder showers but sometimes it's the other way around). Temperature changes maybe 1 or 2 degrees. Late evening it does usually clear off and several degrees cooler. We have mauka breezes at night, ocean breezes during the day. Unless the Kona winds kick up.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,241,653 times
A general synopsis on Hawaii weather. Two distinct seasons

Wet: October to April
Dry: April to October

Even in the dry season rain does fall in the Windward districts and at higher elevations (Mililani and Wahiawa on Oahu come to mind). Just not as much as the wet season. A few passing showers will blow into Honolulu (town) and the Leeward side. Again not a lot.

Growing up in Hawaii, I didn't remember a lot of thunderstorms when I was young. When we got a well organized system over the islands during the wet season, it wasn't unusual to get 10-12 inches of rain in a matter of a few hours. Sometimes it would rain for days and days and days.

I can't really comment on the weather in Kona as it's quite different than it is for much of the rest of the islands. Hawaii has had severe thunderstorms over the last five years. On two occasions within the last five years the whole island of Oahu lost power. These two blackouts weren't short-lived either. I wasn't able to find a link to the more recent black out caused by lightning a couple of year go. Here is a link to the blackout in Dec 2008.

Storm Knocks Out Power to Oahu, Obamas - Washington Post

Lots of lightning in May of 2011. Very unusual, hell it's May.

Hawai'i Lightning Show Delivered 26,000 Strikes in One Day | Maui Now

Large hail fell near Kaneohe Marine Corp Base. Hail this size is scary.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Monitoring & Understanding Our Changing Planet

Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 11,425,930 times
We usually have the more "violent" storms in the winter it seems. If we're going to have thunder and lightening and even some wind, seems like the winter storm will burst out like that.

I've always felt our "rainy" season was summer. Clear mornings, clouds come over the mountains about mid-afternoon and as the moisture laden clouds descend, down comes the rain. If you live above 700 ft elevation or so, you enjoy this every afternoon almost all summer long. AFter 87 degrees on Alii Drive in Kona (hot!) coming home to my house at 800 ft usually means about a 5 to even a 10 degree drop in temperature. <aahhhhhh> Combine that with a home situated properly to catch those evening mauka breezes and you have one pleasant evening, folks.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,421,673 times
I remember that on Oahu in Honolulu and Waipahu(Ewa District) That winter was like one month of poaring rain. But it was warm rain. Streets would flood up. But that was whats good about Oahu it could rain hard in winter and you could wear a windbreaker and get soaked and be warm and ok. Who could complain about the rain when it was almost always sunny and warm again with some awsome rainbows after!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 PM

834 posts, read 942,203 times
One important difference is that Florida is flat. So it's pretty much one climate zone. The Big Island of Hawai'i has 10 or 11 different climate zones of the 13 this planet offers. Yes, you can snowboard for few days on our volcano. But our oranges never get frost bitten. And most of our resorts are in the 'desert' zone while the coffee belt is continuously wet.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,470,089 times
It actually depends on where in Hawaii you live. I live in what's considered the city of Honolulu, where it's fairly dry. I believe Honolulu Airport averages less than 20 inches of rain per year. The mountains, the windward side of all islands and maybe at elevation are significantly more rainy than say downtown Honolulu. I've only been to Florida once as a kid during the summer to visit Disneyworld. What I remember about the weather is hotter and more humid than Hawaii, thunderstorms where you can see bolts of lightning in the afternoon and pouring rain. In Hawaii, at least where I live we don't get near the volume of rain that Florida gets, it can be sunny for days on end even in the rainy season (winter). We do get thunderstorms every so often but I don't think as much as Florida. Also Hawaii's rainy season is winter, while Florida's is summer, so it's much hotter in Florida during the rainy season than Hawaii. So to summarize Hawaii's rainy season is cooler, less rainy, and less thunderstorms than Florida's.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM

129 posts, read 319,905 times
Hawaii doesn't have a "rainy season". That's a term from elsewhere. You don't hear old-timers use it.

The same "winter" months apply as they do on the mainland, only far less so. The wettest month is February, but for the most part, the rainfall is distributed by locality, rather than by time of year. Hilo can have rain any day of the year, and if it goes for two weeks without any rain, it's called a drought.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM

36 posts, read 40,968 times
Default Rainy season pretty different

I would say the rainy season in Hawaii and Florida are very different. First, Hawaii's rain falls mostly in the winter, which is the cooler time of year so it's not as hot as Florida's rainy season which happens in summer. Also, I think the Gulf Coast of Florida is a location that has some of the most lightning strikes of anywhere in the world. It is less common in Hawaii to have thunderstorms and that mugginess you find in Florida during the summer. I forget if Florida has trade winds, but it seems like Hawaii's weather is much more heavily influenced by these and it is almost consistently windy there. Also, Hawaii seems to get passing drizzle showers whereas I don't remember many while visiting Florida. Most of Florida's rain comes in the form of hurricanes and thunderstorms, while Hawaii does not get many of those types of storms. Florida's dry season is winter while Hawaii's is summer. Anyway, both tropical destinations but completely different climate patterns.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM

9,221 posts, read 12,260,981 times
Many will tell you it doesn't rain much in Hilo - Having spent a lot of time there, I disagree - wasn't exactly a passing drizzle.

Hilo sees record rainfall - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Record rain fell on Hilo Tuesday.

The National Weather Service recorded 5.17 inches in Hilo, breaking the old record of 3.57 inches set in 1972."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii