Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Saying locals have no shame, as in Hawaiians, is WAY out of line
Truth hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Hawaii will always be a Democratic welfare state because that's how politicians stay in power, and a huge number of residents keep their jobs.
The alternative (a "Republican welfare state") didn't work out too well for most of the population. Folks still remember the hegemony that the "Big Five" held over the economy and politics of Hawaiʻi during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Quote:
Locals will never trust republicans because of the sovereignty movement and the way kids are raised.
Some locals and members of the "sovereignty movement" happen to be Republicans or "ex-Republicans." The overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom occurred during the administration of Grover Cleveland, who happened to be a Democrat. However, the annexation of Hawaiʻi occurred during the administration of William McKinley, a Republican and statehood occurred during the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower, another Republican. So what's worse? The initial theft of a country or the binding of it to other lands that were taken from their native peoples? While the Democrats are pretty good at theft, the Republicans are good at profiting from stolen goods. And, for those that truly believe in Hawaiian sovereignty, neither Democrats nor Republicans are to be trusted much.

Quote:
They have no shame and see taking handouts as a way to stick it to the Haoles.
Over the years, most locals and Hawaiians that are "gainfully employed" have contributed far more towards "the system" than they receive in benefits and "handouts." If one looks at the percentage of Hawaiians in the civilian labor force in the State of Hawaiʻi for 2010 (67.1%) -- it's actually higher than the overall U.S. average (64.7%).
http://www.ohadatabook.com/T02-EMPLOYMENT01-new.pdf
http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0586.pdf

Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Locals will never trust republicans because of the sovereignty movement and the way kids are raised. They have no shame and see taking handouts as a way to stick it to the Haoles.

WOW! Forget about moving this to the Political forum, maybe it should now be moved to a Racist forum!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

WOW! Forget about moving this to the Political forum, maybe it should now be moved to a Racist forum!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The alternative (a "Republican welfare state") didn't work out too well for most of the population. Folks still remember the hegemony that the "Big Five" held over the economy and politics of Hawaiʻi during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Even if you are 100+ years old, I doubt that many people, if any, remember the politics and economy of Hawaii during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Racist? Hardly. Show me what race I'm referring to? I said locals.

If it didn't have a hint of truth to it, then why was Hawaii voted the top welfare state? Afterall, it's the reason this thread exists.

I can't be the only one who sees the expensive new cars parked at KPT. How about the lifted 40K truck driving to the homestead lands. Or how about the lady with a wrist full of gold bracelets buying steaks, poke, and shrimp on the EBT card at Foodland. The list goes on and on.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Even if you are 100+ years old, I doubt that many people, if any, remember the politics and economy of Hawaii during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Albeit in weakened form, most of the "Big Five" companies lasted until the early 21st Century. Alexander & Baldwin still exists today and most of its employees are well aware of the political and economic power that it once wielded. Moreover, most folks that were educated in Hawaiʻi have had at least one course that covered Hawaiian history.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Here you go!

Posted by Jungjohann... "Saying locals have no shame, as in Hawaiians, is WAY out of line"

Posted by Pyramidsurf... "Truth hurts."

Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:

If it didn't have a hint of truth to it, then why was Hawaii voted the top welfare state? Afterall, it's the reason this thread exists.

I can't be the only one who sees the expensive new cars parked at KPT. How about the lifted 40K truck driving to the homestead lands. Or how about the lady with a wrist full of gold bracelets buying steaks, poke, and shrimp on the EBT card at Foodland. The list goes on and on.
Or how about the corporations who owns private jets, yachts and making billions in profits, going to the government asking for tax cuts or incentives to open a business that makes personal profit? But this isnt a handout or welfare? Man like i said in my other thread i would be all for welfare reform and cutting taxes and supporting you if you were more balanced in your thinking and your motivations wasn't based on hate and class. Intel then i will side with the liberals on here.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
If a corporation wants to have private jets, yachts, and makes billions in profit - then that is their right. If they want to ask the government for tax breaks - the government can say no. You very strongly want to take the incentive out of growing a business and penalizing the people who grow that business. That doesn't seem fair either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii