Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times

Advertisements

A little good news on the job front:

Quote:
Up to 250 Hawaii residents will be hired by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car in Hawaii.

Missouri-based Enterprise Holdings Inc. announced plans Wednesday to hire some 11,000 people nationwide, and as many of 250 of those positions fill in Hawaii will be full-time, according to a spokeswoman.

fronthttp://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20131003_Enterprise_parent_to_hire_250_in_Hawaii.h tml?id=226367021
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A little good news on the job front:
Cool is it livable wages?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,773,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Cool is it livable wages?
What do you define as livable? Management Trainee's - which is what they usually define these new employees usually start in the low 30's and peak at upper 30's as a branch manager - those are the Oahu going rates.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What do you define as livable? Management Trainee's - which is what they usually define these new employees usually start in the low 30's and peak at upper 30's as a branch manager - those are the Oahu going rates.
Sounds good to me viper

Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM

What I'm wondering, from reading this announcement, is whether this large increase in their workforce is just due to projected growth of their existing car-rental business through their three brands, or are they expanding into a new business line... namely, car share services?

If the former, is projected growth in tourist traffic sufficient to support that many employees? Then what would explain all the mainland increase?

With only sketchy information to go on, I'm guessing the latter is true, and car share is going to be their big play across the country in the near term. If so, it's likely to be concentrated in urban centers, and I'd expect Honolulu is going to benefit the most.

For those who haven't been following this growing national car share trend, older services like Zipcar started the concept of low-to-no-paperwork rental cars at hourly rates, which initially found a niche largely with college students who didn't own cars but occasionally needed a car for an hour or two when public transportation wouldn't suit. And for multiple stop short trips they provided a great alternative to taxi services.

After successful rollouts in Europe, Daimler broke into the US market in a big way with their Car2Go service utilizing SmartCars with full on-board computer terminals which allow beginning and ending a by-the-minute rental simply by waving an RFID equipped membership card at a sensor in the corner of the windshield. Gas and insurance is included in the rate, even metered parking in many places, pick it up here and drop it there convenience, with charges billed to your credit card. Starting in the US in Austin with a fleet that is now over 350 cars, then expanding to San Diego; Vancouver, BC; Washington, DC; Portland; Miami; Seattle; Denver; Minneapolis; and so on, Car2Go, along with Zipcar and others have shaken up the car rental business by creating a whole new rental segment that doesn't cannibalize the traditional business.

And so... Enterprise rolled out a similar service, bought WeCar and broke into the NYC market by acquiring Mint. Avis bought car-share pioneer Zipcar, with offices in 51 cities. Hertz-on-Demand is up and running with what they see as a service that is complementary to conventional car rentals.

Oahu has had Enterprise CarShare since 2011, but I wonder if they're planning a big push now? Or is tourism going to grow the traditional car rental market by that much?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,773,245 times
Quote:

Or is tourism going to grow the traditional car rental market by that much?
Not likely - tourism is near its peak capacity, especially on Oahu. There are no new hotels being built and most are at full capacity almost all year around now. Oahu is around 86% capacity this week on what is traditionally a much slower period of time.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

OK, that confirms my impression of the tourist end of the biz, which is a big part of the traditional car-rental market.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,124,372 times
Quote:
What I'm wondering, from reading this announcement, is whether this large increase in their workforce is just due to projected growth of their existing car-rental business through their three brands, or are they expanding into a new business line... namely, car share services?

If the former, is projected growth in tourist traffic sufficient to support that many employees? Then what would explain all the mainland increase?

With only sketchy information to go on, I'm guessing the latter is true, and car share is going to be their big play across the country in the near term. If so, it's likely to be concentrated in urban centers, and I'd expect Honolulu is going to benefit the most.

For those who haven't been following this growing national car share trend, older services like Zipcar started the concept of low-to-no-paperwork rental cars at hourly rates, which initially found a niche largely with college students who didn't own cars but occasionally needed a car for an hour or two when public transportation wouldn't suit. And for multiple stop short trips they provided a great alternative to taxi services.

After successful rollouts in Europe, Daimler broke into the US market in a big way with their Car2Go service utilizing SmartCars with full on-board computer terminals which allow beginning and ending a by-the-minute rental simply by waving an RFID equipped membership card at a sensor in the corner of the windshield. Gas and insurance is included in the rate, even metered parking in many places, pick it up here and drop it there convenience, with charges billed to your credit card. Starting in the US in Austin with a fleet that is now over 350 cars, then expanding to San Diego; Vancouver, BC; Washington, DC; Portland; Miami; Seattle; Denver; Minneapolis; and so on, Car2Go, along with Zipcar and others have shaken up the car rental business by creating a whole new rental segment that doesn't cannibalize the traditional business.

And so... Enterprise rolled out a similar service, bought WeCar and broke into the NYC market by acquiring Mint. Avis bought car-share pioneer Zipcar, with offices in 51 cities. Hertz-on-Demand is up and running with what they see as a service that is complementary to conventional car rentals.

Oahu has had Enterprise CarShare since 2011, but I wonder if they're planning a big push now? Or is tourism going to grow the traditional car rental market by that much?

They have zip cars and bikeshare in the Washington DC area. Everyone seems to like both, the only super minor downside is they take up a couple of parking spaces. They are great in that, you don't have to own a car to use one once in a while. They work best where there is lots of public transportation, a dense urban core and scarce parking. So I am not sure how well that model would work in Hawaii.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM

198 posts, read 385,222 times
One of my good friends used to work for Enterprise car rental and not to be a Debbie Downer, they want you to work long hours and to the bone. He was very unhappy and so were all of his other Co-employees (based in CA). They had an incredibly high turnover rate.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,949,182 times
Thanks for posting. I will let my friends, who are looking for work, know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: