Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM

136 posts, read 328,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They'll think the culture is pretty much the same when they deal with rush hour traffic, Walmart, Target, Safeway, McDonalds, Starbucks on every corner, Pizza Hut, the same cars, same language, same ole same ole. Anyone who's been to Hawaii in the 80's and 90's see a stark difference to the Hawaii today. I'm in Chicago right now for work, besides the lack of Asians, good steak here, gas 60 cents/gallon cheaper, and a little chillier, not much else is different than Honolulu.
I guess we have a different idea of what "culture" is. You think anywhere in the world where there's traffic, fast food, department stores, and people speak English automatically has the same culture?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,801,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
How's the NE swell on the lake this evening?
Chilly! With a water temp of 60, doubt many people care. Although did take the Lake Shore Drive drive today. One of the best drives in the nation.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I guess we have a different idea of what "culture" is. You think anywhere in the world where there's traffic, fast food, department stores, and people speak English automatically has the same culture?
Yes. We have a different definition. More Asian restaurants and bad Mexican food does not make a culture.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,720,835 times
Quote:
They'll think the culture is pretty much the same when they deal with rush hour traffic, Walmart, Target, Safeway, McDonalds, Starbucks on every corner, Pizza Hut, the same cars, same language, same ole same ole. Anyone who's been to Hawaii in the 80's and 90's see a stark difference to the Hawaii today. I'm in Chicago right now for work, besides the lack of Asians, good steak here, gas 60 cents/gallon cheaper, and a little chillier, not much else is different than Honolulu.
Sounds like Waikiki to me. By your above example, i would ask why then bring the mainland to Hawai'i? But thats a different subject. I think you have to look deeper then the surface. Even some of your examples shows differences from the mainland and how other cultures influence Hawai'i. Take a look at Mcdonalds, they offer spam for breakfest and in there Burgers? I even think they offer noodles too? Or goto your local grocery store and look at snack food. Bet they have li hing mui or crackseed(chinese)?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,549,795 times
I think the entire point is, that given the 'circle' that one associates with, you may, or may not, be exposed to the 'Old Hawaiian' culture. You're not going to find it in downtown Honozulu, but, spend some time in Nalo or out in Waianae, and you won't be able to avoid it. Some may like it, and, indeed, perhaps identify with it, and some will want to get their haole kekake back to town.

Just sayin

Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM

But i think the big difference is what you prob don't notice. People talk english with you. But what do they talk when your not around and with another local. Or how do people interact with others, ohana and community? Bet different. Hmm this post and last one has alot of differences from mainland.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I think the entire point is, that given the 'circle' that one associates with, you may, or may not, be exposed to the 'Old Hawaiian' culture. You're not going to find it in downtown Honozulu, but, spend some time in Nalo or out in Waianae, and you won't be able to avoid it. Some may like it, and, indeed, perhaps identify with it, and some will want to get their haole kekake back to town.

Just sayin
Lmao maika`i

Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
You're not going to find it in downtown Honozulu, but, spend some time in Nalo or out in Waianae
I agree with that. But it is such a huge minority to the rest of the island. The majority of the island is quite "mainland" like whether people want to acknowledge that or be in denial.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Aloha,

lets get back on track and on topic.

#3 As a rule, most locals are bicultural. That is, We know how to behave in different ways when situational pressures dictate it. Culture and cultural differences are programmed into us.

We all grew up with different cultures. For me personally, there was the Hawaiian culture which we all were exposed to. Then there was the Japanese people in our town whose influence was unavoidable. And in our ohana it was Hawai'ian, asian, native american and western culture. This is normal for local people.

Each culture blending and bringing customs and beliefs with it.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,549,795 times
Quote:
I agree with that. But it is such a huge minority to the rest of the island. The majority of the island is quite "mainland" like whether people want to acknowledge that or be in denial.
The 'majority', as in over 50%, maybe, but not much more than that. I'm just saying that I doubt if you will ever find yourself in a situation in which you would experience the 'other' 50%. You haven't been here long enough, and you probably won't stay long enough. Anyways, AVOID the flying lead over there, it can be harmful to your health

(how bout dem Bears)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii